Hadron Collider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hadron Collider

Simple, I blame the people in charge who can make a difference but choose not to. If you don't think McCain and the rest of his well seasoned, well paid, "Know How Things Work" colleagues could have made a difference in where we are now, that's your prerogative. If I'm negative it's because I feel bad for the millions of jobs lost while these legislators were busy doing a fine job elsewhere. Same goes for the great way in which they were right on top of our borders and the illegals, our economy, trade deficit, energy crisis and everything else I mentioned. I want killers executed, I don't want to pay for someone elses baby, I don't want to pay my fair share of taxes while others get tax breaks. I have plenty to be upset about after years of working hard and paying my taxes and supporting others. I want legislators who work for my best interests, not the vote of the illegals or the vote of the wealthy and powerful. Take that however you want. Time for me to rest. Good night.

Comment

Monster thread drift. Where should we go from here? Wanna' talk about Nerf footballs?

The first I heard of this Hadron Collider was in reading the DaVinci Code. Seemed so fictional. But they've been working on it for over 10 years. Now they are going to throw the switch on it next week with only theoretical evidence as to what might happen. So, in short, they're not exactly sure what will happen. Maybe nothing.

Or it might blow out all the PEX joints at once.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Simple, I blame the people in charge who can make a difference but choose not to. If you don't think McCain and the rest of his well seasoned, well paid, "Know How Things Work" colleagues could have made a difference in where we are now, that's your prerogative. If I'm negative it's because I feel bad for the millions of jobs lost while these legislators were busy doing a fine job elsewhere. Same goes for the great way in which they were right on top of our borders and the illegals, our economy, trade deficit, energy crisis and everything else I mentioned. I want killers executed, I don't want to pay for someone elses baby, I don't want to pay my fair share of taxes while others get tax breaks. I have plenty to be upset about after years of working hard and paying my taxes and supporting others. I want legislators who work for my best interests, not the vote of the illegals or the vote of the wealthy and powerful. Take that however you want. Time for me to rest. Good night.
        The economy is not as bad as some would like you to believe. Unemployment is at 6.1 % but if you look at the numbers historically during the recessions in the 80's and 90's you will see that number higher, look nobody is happy with the price of gas and oil but the economy is not horrible, yes it could be better. Real change is coming Franki boy, REAL CHANGE!

Comment

I used to have an automatic Nerf dart gun that was pretty cool.

Comment

The new collider is incredibly huge in comparison to anything else. There's been a lot of discussion about safety and theoretical particulate matter fallout from the device. The boffins (scientists) in charge have published several safety related papers discussing the theoretical results that might be attained with the thing. The idea behind it is to get a look at some of the more esoteric particles that may be flying around (and through) our planet. The Higgs Bosun being one of the more well-known theoretical particles.

The problems occur when you start looking at what types of energetic particles can theoretically be made in such high speed particle collisions. One theory states that tiny black holes could be made. In their safety documents, the scientists say these black holes would be destroyed soon after creation since they would be too small to sustain themselves, and the magnetic properties of the containment vessel will destabilize the black hole. It gets very technical and complicated. I'm no theoretical scientist, but it is an experiment worth watching. This could answer many questions about the universe. Something other than 42.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

By definition, a black hole is a densely packed grouping of VERY large amounts of matter.
              Though two sub-atomic particles colliding at near light speed might emulate some of the properties of a black hole, it's physically impossible to trigger one.

Comment

42. Nice one Sandy!

I think dumping millions if not billions on attempting to understand the universe should only be done after we have found a cure for cancer, AIDS etc..
                How are we going to benefit from this?
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Dunno, maybe sub atomic particles can be used to cure cancer or attack the aids virus. They said the same thing about the space program, but you can't even begin to count all the inventions and advancments that came out of that. I'm for all scientific experiments.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    By definition, a black hole is a densely packed grouping of VERY large amounts of matter.
                    Though two sub-atomic particles colliding at near light speed might emulate some of the properties of a black hole, it's physically impossible to trigger one.
                    I keep saying the same thing! I wonder if this bigger, stronger? collider can trigger a release of energy or some other unexpected reaction? Guess we will find out soon.

Comment

Good point NHmaster.

Gotta love the tang and Velcro.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Not trying to be a smart a$$ NH, you did make a good point,it's just that we have so many problems that i feel are much more inportant to investagate and could actually help us.

On the flip side: We once thought the earth was flat, and if you traveled too far you would fall off. If this were never investigated where would we be now?

Comment

Part of me sees this as just madness. The thing is 17 miles long! A 17 mile supercooled magnetic vacuum underground no less!

J.C.

Comment

I think our patience will be rewarded. it has, time after time, since the first man used a rock for a tool. Exploration and invention is what we are. It is our driving ambition and lifes purpose. To evolve, to learn to grow. One seemingly small step can open a thousand doors.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              I agree with this point, DuckButter. However, physicists have theorized that tiny black holes are created and dissolved regularly. Typically, apparently, these things occur all the time around planets' (including ours) magnetosphere. That's the main reason they say that even if a tiny black hole is created (I think the technical term is miniature black hole), it will dissolve before it can cause harm.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

They crank it tomorrow. Watch your PEX fittings.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X