X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking at knives

I have never seen that Clint Eastwood film. Is it hell cat sick?
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

It is NOT hellcat sick. (<I hope I don't have to start putting that in my normal conversations) But it is an interesting watch. At least to me.

J.C.

Comment

I think Eiger Sanction is sick, but then, I'm a huge Eastwood fan and will watch anything he's done, just because Eastwood is in it. I really like "Where Eagles Dare" with Eastwood and Richard Burton. It is a totally outlandish plot and the acting is not that good, but hey, it's Burton and Eastwood, what more could one want.
        "Broadsword calling Danny Boy."
        Jim Don

Comment

"Where Eagles Dare"? Is that the one where they parachute through the snow on the mountain in Germany? If so, loved that movie.

J.C.

Comment

But back to knives, when Schrade sold out and moved their production to China (is this a recurring theme here in the U.S.?), what they made became a bunch of junk that is only worth being in the bottom of the tool bucket to cut rubber hose once in awhile. The facilities in New York were bought out by some of the workers and became Canal Street Cutlery. They are making a very good product and should get our support. Looking for a knife? buy a U.S. made one.
            Another place to look for knives is A.G. Russell out of Arkansas. He has a monthly catalog and an on-line presence with some of the nicest pieces of cold steel out there: Marbles out of Michigan.
            Cheers,
            Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
              I think Eiger Sanction is sick, but then, I'm a huge Eastwood fan and will watch anything he's done, just because Eastwood is in it. I really like "Where Eagles Dare" with Eastwood and Richard Burton. It is a totally outlandish plot and the acting is not that good, but hey, it's Burton and Eastwood, what more could one want.
              "Broadsword calling Danny Boy."
              Jim Don
              You have no idea how many times I've been given the buffalo eye for trying to use that line.It's like not a single one of my friends named Dan have heard of it.

Comment

I'll watch it then, I really like Clint Eastwood. A mans man kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  You have no idea how many times I've been given the buffalo eye for trying to use that line.It's like not a single one of my friends named Dan have heard of it.

We call it the "Skunk Eye" here in good ol Indiana. I heard a agruement between a couple about the "Skunk Eye" once.

She said something like, "Don't you give me the skunk eye either!" I was laughing so hard.

Comment

To JC,
                    Yes, that's the one where they parachute into Germany in the winter. Beautiful scenery.

Another of my Eastwood favorites is "The Outlaw Josey Wales," set after the Civil War. A raucous good flick to watch.

And to DirtyHands, used to be that people would go to parties and a guy would stand in the corner and say, "Broadsword calling Danny Boy," to see if there were any other Eastwood and Eagles Dare fans there to talk to.

I'm so used to getting the evil eye, skunk eye etc., that I don't even notice it anymore!!

Jim

Comment

I live by the Eastwood line "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations". So true.

Comment

For some reason, I love knives!! I've never used the term "sick" or "hell cat sick" or "wet work" to describe anything I do with a knife, I just like a clean line and a sharp blade. I've got 3 collector's edition William Henry's, and a Camillus Cutlery CUDA 125th Anniversary Limited edition designed by D. Ralph. My every day carry is a Buck folder. I keep them all razor sharp. One of the things I do to relax is sharpen knives. I think I may need professional help!!

That PXL sure looks nice. I like the knife cutting edge design, and the shape of the handle looks good too. Liner locks are a good design in a folder, from my experience. The steel they use seems to be a good balance between hardness and ability to take an edge. A diamondstone would be the best way to sharpen something with that kind of hard steel.
                        Last edited by VASandy; 09-07-2008, 10:58 PM.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                          For some reason, I love knives!! I've never used the term "sick" or "hell cat sick" or "wet work" to describe anything I do with a knife, I just like a clean line and a sharp blade. I've got 3 collector's edition William Henry's, and a Camillus Cutlery CUDA 125th Anniversary Limited edition designed by D. Ralph. My every day carry is a Buck folder. I keep them all razor sharp. One of the things I do to relax is sharpen knives. I think I may need professional help!!

That PXL sure looks nice. I like the knife cutting edge design, and the shape of the handle looks good too. Liner locks are a good design in a folder, from my experience. The steel they use seems to be a good balance between hardness and ability to take an edge. A diamondstone would be the best way to sharpen something with that kind of hard steel.
                          Liner locks are nice but in cheaper models they can close on you without notice. I have a bit more trust in lock backs. I know they must seem outdated to some but they are safe. I always heard a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, guess it depends which end you're on.

Comment

I thought Unforgiven was Eastwood's best film, maybe Million Dollar Baby. IMHO he was only able to show the depth of his talent when he started to direct.

As far as knives go, I'm not into them; a cheap folding boxcutter lives in my pocket.... it's the only one I've got.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I live by the Eastwood line "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations". So true.
                              True, I live by that too, except in my case it's a woman has to know her limitations.
                              Schumacher Homes

Comment

Working...
                              X