X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices

When hurricane Hanna was threatening to disrupt the oil supply from the gulf, gas prices around here rose by 15 cents a gallon. When Hanna passed without any disruption of the oil supply, prices went down 2 cents. Now we have Ike which caused a few oil platforms to temporarily shut down. Gas prices shot up and we have long lines waiting to buy gas. Some stations have a 10 gallon limit.
    This is something from our local channel 12 that I cut and pasted. It explains it better than I could.

------------------------

1. Nothing has changed about the gas supply today.

The Hurricane has not affected any gas that will be pumped into your car this weekend. The oil rigs that are shut down now by the hurricane, won't affect the gas supply for months.

2. Wholesalers are warning retailers to expect major gas price hikes by Friday because of the hurricane.

Because there has still been no change in supply, this is just gas speculation (or profiteering). Prices are going up tonight, but there is no certainty that they will continue to rise into the weekend.

3. There is no gas rationing.

No government or organization has rationed gas. Individual stores may limit how much you can buy or even run out. Some are choosing not to pay for the hiked prices passed their way from wholesalers. They don't want to buy gas at $5.00 today and have to sell it next week for $3.50. They'll just shut down until the panic is over.

4. Panic buying now only rewards the profiteers.

There is enough gas for everyone. The prices will go up only as much as we are willing to pay for it. Unless Hurricane Ike does serious damage to refineries on land, prices should return to normal by next week.

---------------------------

It just seems to me that the oil companies will use any excuse to raise prices but have difficulty lowering them when the crisis is over. I don't think OPEC is entirely to blame.

Any thoughts?
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Gas prices

I said this over a month ago.
    Every time oil prices soar, gas does too.

When oil comes back down, gas stays high.

Today, oil dropped to $101 a barrel...WHY are we still paying over $3.50 a gallon??

Comment

it's the rocket and feather point of economics

prices rocket up and fall like a feather. it sucks but that's the way it is. GREED

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I decided to fill up my 35 gallon fuel tank on the truck on Wednesday because I figured this storm would raise prices. Diesel was at $3.999/gal., so I went ahead and filled the tank now. It's still a LOT of money ($133) but at least I have a full tank that'll take me 600 some miles. Hopefully by the time I have to fill up again, prices will have "feathered" out back to where they are now. I hate paying this much for diesel, but what ya gonna do?
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Today, oil dropped to $101 a barrel...WHY are we still paying over $3.50 a gallon??
          It seems like no matter what happens, with oil prices or anything else, gas stays high. How do we solve this problem? And you posed a good question, why are we still paying so much right now for gas. I don't think a change in the white house either way will resolve this.
          Schumacher Homes

Comment

In upstate NY gas prices on Jan. 8 were $3.31 a gallon. and oil was 101.01 a barrel. Yesterday gas prices were $3.77 a gallon and oil was $95.71 a barrel. Too much manipulation is allowed someplace. The occasional profiteer is one thing but these prices are averaged by NYS Energy Research and Development Corp.

But here is the deal for me. A few months ago I raised my hourly charge $5.00 per hour because gas prices were high. I never told anyone the reason for the raise but a majority of my work is within a relatively small ethnic/religious community and 'word gets around.' I don't squeal a lot about gas prices because: (1) I have quite a few shares of Exxon Mobil stock and (2) I would feel like a hypocrite. When gas prices are significantly lower will I lower my hourly rate? Theoretically I should lower them now but haven't. I will see what my concience dictates when I finish a job this Sunday.

Comment

In Central MD it has gone up about 25 cents per gallon from 2 weeks ago. It's all over the place in that one station a short distance from another may be 20 cents different in pricing. For the most part I find that it pays to look around some before picking which station you pull into. I'm lucky in that many in my area tend to be in clusters. I can pull into one, look around some and see the signs. What really gets me is that the busy station is the high priced one. STUPID YUPPEE types.... They have $$$ to burn.

Comment

Here gas is 3.99 and in this small town we have five stations and everybody charges the same so not matter where you go.

Jim
                http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  What really gets me is that the busy station is the high priced one.
                  There is more to a gas station than price. If there is a $0.10 difference, it works out to $1.50 or so for me. That certainly adds up, but it isn't a killer either.
                  - No pay at the pump means a no go for me, because I usually have my kids with me and I can't leave them alone.
                  - If they only have a couple of pumps, I don't want to wait in line either. I seem to be perpetually running late. Getting to my meeting or my son's preschool on time is worth $1.50.
                  - The side of the road also matters. If I am avoiding left turns and traffic lights which add time or make the drive less safe; it isn't worth the $1.50.

Even for a commodity like gas, there is more to it than price.

Comment

First let me state that I think we are paying way too much for gas.

If you look at the increase from 1-1/2 years ago when oil was something like $40/bbl gas was around $2.20/gal and compare that to when oil was $140/bbl gas was about $4.50/gal. Compare the percentage of increase of oil to gas over those time periods you will see that as oil rises gas rises at a lower percentage. The same is true when it drops. That is why it takes longer to come down then oil. I have a feeling we will be seeing $3/gal gas soon.

Comment

It's the same scam they pulled on the public years ago with sugar, then coffee, and we (the public) had no choice but to take it on the chin. Wasn't much you could do as an individual except don't buy and how much will that hurt them? They don't even know you're alive let alone feel any pain from your (Joe Citizen) meager attempt at resistance.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        There is more to a gas station than price. If there is a $0.10 difference, it works out to $1.50 or so for me. That certainly adds up, but it isn't a killer either.
                        - No pay at the pump means a no go for me, because I usually have my kids with me and I can't leave them alone.
                        - If they only have a couple of pumps, I don't want to wait in line either. I seem to be perpetually running late. Getting to my meeting or my son's preschool on time is worth $1.50.
                        - The side of the road also matters. If I am avoiding left turns and traffic lights which add time or make the drive less safe; it isn't worth the $1.50.

Even for a commodity like gas, there is more to it than price.
                        And believe me they know all that too. Man I worked for when in HS pumping gas owned two franchises, each with a different oil co and on opposite sides of the same intersection. Phillips66 on one and Sunoco on the other. We were a few miles outside Atlantic City, they average joe would fill up with us on the way in 'cause they knew that gas would be more expensive in town. Those that had a Sunoco card would make the left turn at the light and go to our sister station across the street. Those that did not like Phillips would go across the street (not knowing that we had both places). The man had it figured out pretty well, he got them coming and going literally.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If the next president, whomever it is, would start talking about nationalizing the oil companies for national defense, prices would drop like a rock.

Comment

Working...
                          X