Ike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike

Boy this thing has been a tough one on Texas. My son lives just North of Houston and called me early this morning to ask me to check a storm tracker site so he could figure out how much longer they would be in it. At the time they only had one of their 200' tall tress left. By the end of the call all of his trees were gone. Fortunately not one of the trees hit their house.

I have to wonder why people stay home and risk the safety of themselves and their families when they have the means to leave. Property is replaceable life is not.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Ike

I ment to fill up my van yesterday before gas sky rockets but I forgot all about it. I hear they are shutting down a lot of refineries for up to 5 days.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

I have to wonder why people stay home and risk the safety of themselves and their families when they have the means to leave. Property is replaceable life is not.

Mark
      My brother and sister-in-law stayed because my brother is the director of an ER and surgical center. His hospital is one of two set up in Houston for trauma. They also have 2 large dogs with nowhere to put them. They also stayed 3 years ago when all their neighbors left. The neighbors left their house keys in case my brother needed to seek shelter in their house.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        My brother and sister-in-law stayed because my brother is the director of an ER and surgical center. His hospital is one of two set up in Houston for trauma. They also have 2 large dogs with nowhere to put them. They also stayed 3 years ago when all their neighbors left. The neighbors left their house keys in case my brother needed to seek shelter in their house.
        How did he make out? I would hope that those who stayed were as well prepared as they could be with flashlights, water, basic emegency supplies. I'll bet the ER is swamped with injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          How did he make out? I would hope that those who stayed were as well prepared as they could be with flashlights, water, basic emegency supplies. I'll bet the ER is swamped with injuries.
          His fence was destroyed by fallen trees. Part of is rock waterfall landed in his pool along with a tree. All in all he ended up pretty god. The windows and house are in tack.

He is going in to work in a couple of hours so I will find out how bad the ER is then!
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Boy this thing has been a tough one on Texas. My son lives just North of Houston and called me early this morning to ask me to check a storm tracker site so he could figure out how much longer they would be in it. At the time they only had one of their 200' tall tress left. By the end of the call all of his trees were gone. Fortunately not one of the trees hit their house.

Mark
            Exactly, I can't understand why all those people stayed behind. Why risk your life like that?
            Schumacher Homes

Comment

Originally posted by ritajones View Post
              Exactly, I can't understand why all those people stayed behind. Why risk your life like that?
              Having previously lived on the Gulf Coast for over 20 years, I may be able to give some insight:

First: Most Cat 1 or 2 hurricanes do not do that much damage if you are 1/4 mile inland. Yes, trees are down and debris flies, but if you board your windows, you are not usually in great jeopardy. Storm surge and house elevation are a key in the decision to stay or leave, as well as what the wind rating is of your home.

Second, If you leave, you may be forbidden to get back in for a lengthy time, which is quite expensive if your house was not damaged. Most insurance companies will not cover the cost of evacuation, only that which is required IF your house is not liveable.

Third: Looters. If they see someone there, they leave you alone. Again, if you have stuff looted, the insurance companies first accuse YOU of stealing it (lawyers and bean counters are hired by them in force to ensure they make it as difficult as possible to recoup and damage). You have to "prove" it was stolen, and that you had it to start with.

The news does not cover the aftermath impact for those who are not totally decimated by the storm, but many are decimated financially by the fact that they didn't stay home and their house was one of the "lucky" ones.

Fourth: Most insurance companies now give a lesser payment for hurricane damage.
              The balance is out of your pocket.

Bottom line: Many feel they cannot afford to leave, financially, based on past experience. Its a judgement call, risk vs survival, not much different than those who choose to live near an active earthquake fault. By the time you realize you made the wrong choice, its too late to do anything about it.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

As a follow up my son and family (wife, two kids and 3-dogs) decided to leave as they may not have power for 4-weeks. He and his wife drove the 1,600 miles to our house in 26-hours.

Mark

Comment

As a follow up my son and family (wife, two kids and 3-dogs) decided to leave as they may not have power for 4-weeks. He and his wife drove the 1,600 miles to our house in 26-hours.

Mark
                  Turns out that was a good move knowing what the situation is there now. Glad they are OK. One utility from our area sent 60 line trucks and crews and I am sure from all around the country they have sent crews to help restore power. These guys all volunteer to go(they do get paid of course), they are not forced by their employers; and will be living out of tents they took with them most probably because they don't want to take available hotel rooms from evacuees or those more in need. They go for a month or more, then another crew will rotate in so they can get a break and come back to their families.

So if you are in the area and see out of state utility trucks that is how and why they are there, and please give them a warm Thanks for helping out.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Mark
                    I think it depends on where you're located. I sat through 2 in Wilmington N.C. that were direct category 3 to 4 hits if I recall correctly. Wasn't that bad off the coastline. I don't mean to make light of damage or injured in any way but the news always shows the worst because that's the way the news works.

Hope all your loved ones are safe.

J.C.

Comment

Mark
                      he still has his get out of jail free card. right

not accounting for any stops. he had to average 61.5 mph.

maybe he is the real ricky bobby

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Wonder how many water bottles got filled on the way.
                        Sounds like a non-stop low-level flight.
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

My brother has his power and phone back. He was lucky and only has damage to is fence and pool.

All in all he and his wife was were safe and their house was in tact.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I just got this link by email and it's amazing how this hurricane was vastly ignored by the media in the aftermath.

I don't think it has to do with not a whole lot of people that died either.

Has something to do with.....

nevermind.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

My son left LA and drove his family home only to find out they are still without power. Everyone has started returning the generator rentals to HD so he rented one with some fans for his family before he left to go back to work.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X