Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could you please check my math?

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    Alright, so my 5 years of union apprenticeship school has started and I'm excited for it. I'm taking math now and wanted to make sure I had these right.

1. 3 1/5 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/3 = ? I got 5 1/3.

2. 11 1/4 divided by 2 1/2 = ? I got 4 1/2.

3.20 x 1.25 x 1.33

11.25 / 2.50

Comment

Have fun with your 1/2" copper and 4" pvc cause that's all your gonna work with, with an attitude like that Dunbar.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Translate to fractions first, the rest is easy.

22/9 x 15/2 ÷ 11/3 = 30/6...which is 5.
        Aaron,

It wasn't mentioned here, but one other thing that is useful to know is that A/B divided by C/D is the same as A/B times D/C.

In Carl's example you get:
        22/9 x 15/2 x 3/11 = (22 x 15 x 3) / (9 * 2 * 11) = 990/198 = 5

Sorry if this is something you've learned already; I just wanted to fill in the blanks.

Charles

Comment

I find it easier to work with decimals than fractions. To get there if you have your calculator handy divide the numerator by the denominator for each.

Examples:

5/11 divide 5 by 11 and you get 0.454545 and it keeps going so round it off somewhere. The numerator in this fraction is 5 and the denominator is 11.

Changing all fractions to a common denominator does help.

3/5 & 9/14 can become X/70 and Y/70 where X = 42 and Y = 45

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Aaron,

It wasn't mentioned here, but one other thing that is useful to know is that A/B divided by C/D is the same as A/B times D/C.

In Carl's example you get:
            22/9 x 15/2 x 3/11 = (22 x 15 x 3) / (9 * 2 * 11) = 990/198 = 5

Sorry if this is something you've learned already; I just wanted to fill in the blanks.

Charles
            CPW explained it even better than I did. I bet he could help you out Aaron. Once you understand how equations work, all math becomes relatively easy.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              I find it easier to work with decimals than fractions. To get there if you have your calculator handy divide the numerator by the denominator for each.

Examples:

5/11 divide 5 by 11 and you get 0.454545 and it keeps going so round it off somewhere. The numerator in this fraction is 5 and the denominator is 11.

Changing all fractions to a common denominator does help.

3/5 & 9/14 can become X/70 and Y/70 where X = 42 and Y = 45
              A calculator is cheating and decimals are not as accurate. 1/3 is 1/3, however 1.33333333333333333333333333333333 is still less than 1/3.

Comment

Have fun with your 1/2" copper and 4" pvc cause that's all your gonna work with, with an attitude like that Dunbar.

I made $700 today
                $417 yesterday
                $480 the day before

Jobs I did days/weeks/months ago along with recent scurry of work is paying off.

Add that up, divide it by 11 hours and that's why I don't give a ****.

When you get old and decrepid like me, you'll love the ability to do simple tasks and make good money, not fretting the complicated stuff.

In my 4 year apprenticeship our 1st year wasn't fractions, it was isometric drawings of 5 story buildings getting vent sizes along with main drain sizing right,

dilution pits, commercial laundry wastes, labs with acid wastes and specific piping know-hows to it's own set of rules.

Got any 1/2" copper jobs, sendem my way. I like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Alright, thanks again guys.

82. It says...

Divide 13/16 by 5 1/5 and multiply the quotient by 6 2/3.

I understand that as...

13/16 divided by 5 1/5 x 6 2/3 = ?

First off, did I understand the problem right?

Second, can you please break this down because I'm lost on this one.

Thanks.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Project calculator
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What if you lost it, or the battery's were dead and the project HAD to be done today?

I don't wanna rely on a calculator.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

cell phone, everyone has them and they have calculator's. I'm not saying math isn't important but realistically you'll use calculators a lot on the jobsite.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, to me that's dumbing down the trade to the hack level.

Plumbing has alot of math in it, and I would like to use my head not my cell phone.

Sorry for applying myself at work.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Alright, thanks again guys.

82. It says...

Divide 13/16 by 5 1/5 and multiply the quotient by 6 2/3.

I understand that as...

13/16 divided by 5 1/5 x 6 2/3 = ?

First off, did I understand the problem right?

Second, can you please break this down because I'm lost on this one.

Thanks.
                            Yes. The Quotient is the result of your division. So, first 13/16 ÷ 5 1/5.

5 1/5 is what fraction? ...26/5, (5x5 then add 1).

So 13/16 ÷ 26/5 is what?

take the answer and then multiply times 6 2/3 (which is 20/3, 6x3 then add 2).

The equation then is (13/16÷26/5) X 20/3 = your answer. I'll let you figure it Aaron.

Comment

Ben, to me that's dumbing down the trade to the hack level.
                              I have a degree in math, and it is really amazing what calculators and computer algebra systems can do for you today.

I do agree that it is no substitute for understanding what you are doing without the calculator. However, if you understand the underlying problems, then using a calculator isn't dumbing anything down. In practice you can do things more easily and with less errors with a calculator than by hand.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with using a calculator, all it is, is a tool.

in one way it would be saying I will never use a power threader or pre bought nipples because that is dumbing down plumbing and the trade,

the thing not to do is not to learn to use your head, many times if you learn a few tricks with math, you can approximate the answer very fast in ones head, and see if you pushed all the buttons correctly, that is if your answer makes sense, DO LEARN HOW TO DO IT IN YOUR HEAD, and do not get so you rely on a calculator to do all your math,

but unless your fairly much a math wizard, on many instances a calculator will speed up your calculations and help you be more accurate,

but if your really in to not "dumbing it down" lean to do the functions and not covert them to decimals, it will help you exercise your brain in to some new thinking patterns,
                                and help you to understand more thoroughly how math things work.

normally in the real world tho one would probly use decimals as they are easier IMO to multiply but the problems is there not exact as stated before, and your answer may be hard to interpret back to a fraction. and currently tape measures are still in fractions not hundredths,
                                Last edited by BHD; 09-13-2008, 09:36 PM.
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X