Could you please check my math?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could you please check my math?

If you want to have a real math challenge try building a bridge. Until last June bridges in New York State were designed in Metric units. Now, as far as I know, only California mandates bridges be designed that way. Boy Oh Boy what a challenge. Since hardly anyone has a metric ruler or tape you have to convert metric to Engineers Scale where the divisions are in tenths to hundredths of a foot and often that had to be converted to Imperial measurements of 12 inches per foot. Now you have to interpret those measurements to people who think, and this actually happened to me, that 11'+11'=30'.

-Tom

Comment

Hey Tom my company just did a few round abouts up by you. Ever do any work with John Keller? Oh yeah all DOT standards are in metric now, but everthing on our plans is both metric and standard!

Comment

Hey, wrench spinner
        Nope, never did any work with WJ Keller. I generally work for non-union/open shops and all Keller's operators are union men. I prefer to work for non-union shops because I receive the supplement, now about $17.00 per hour in my area, in my check as pay. I don't need any of the benefits provided by the operator's union. Keller has a good reputation in the area. I had the chance to work for one of his former foremen and the guy taught me a lot about bidding. He was also the absolute best excavator operator I have ever seen. He can take blacktop out of a truck with a grade bucket on the excavator, spread it and there is no raking for the laborers.

Where were the round abouts? I know he has a few jobs between Hudson and Poughkeepsie and he had something going this spring near Germantown but I don't know what the jobs are.

I am disappointed to hear DOT specs are metric. I understood that metric stuff was all gone last June. Maybe it was just bridge design or maybe I misunderstood the engineers. Do you know if bridges are still designed in metric?

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          Ben, to me that's dumbing down the trade to the hack level.

Plumbing has alot of math in it, and I would like to use my head not my cell phone.

Sorry for applying myself at work.
          Aaron, do us all a favor and take a minute to think about what you are going to say before you say it.

Now anyone who uses a calculator is a hack?!?!?!?

Anyone non union is a rat?!?!?!?

What are they teaching you at that school?

Is there a class that teaches you how to be cocky and full of yourself?

There must be cuz I've seen a lot of that coming from your corner as of late.

You are young and I get that you are super stoked about being a "union plumber" but remember, a lot of these guys on here are true seasoned professionals. They could out-wit us on things we haven't even heard of yet in regard to this trade.

Slow down and don't be so quick to judge how someone does their job. Talk to me after you are running a crew or own a company or perhaps when it gets dry behind your ears.
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
          X