A Friendly Reminder Warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Friendly Reminder Warning

Wow BD that is a spooky story I am glad things are working out. We can work through financial losses but personal injury is something else. I am happy no one was injured.

Our house was broken into a few years ago. My wife had about $8,000 worth of costume jewelry stolen. The big goof thieves passed over much the good stuff and took the shiny, less expensive costume jewelry. The problem is that we only had $2,000 worth of insurance coverage. The insurance company wouldn't pay even the $2,000 unless the entire $8,000 worth of stolen jewelry was identified and each item was given a value, in writing, by a jeweler. What a job.

Shotguns in each bedroom closet now, not loaded but shells are right next to the guns. If a thief hears one of those shotguns rack and doesn't leave, they deserve what they get.

-Tom

Comment

Some years ago, while I was home alone (husband on a business trip), I heard someone trying to jimmy the sliding glass door open. I went up to the bedroom and grabbed the shotgun and shells all the while trying to calm my nerves. I carried it down to where the door was and as loud as I could racked a shell in. The sound of the slide was apparently all they needed as the next thing I heard was feet running away. I never saw the person, but I definitely heard them and they heard me. I agree with Tom. We keep that shotgun in the bedroom. Although now I keep it loaded but nothing in the tube. Trying to load shells in while shaking from fear is tough! Since we don't have kids, and I can lock up the gun if anyone visits with kids, it's easier for us.

BD, I'm very happy to hear this all went down without any damage to you or your family. I hope the cat's ok!! Windows can always be fixed.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've kept my shotgun unloaded and shells nearby, but since a buddy gave me a couple rounds of "Rubber Ball" ammo my shotgun stays loaded. They are non lethal and I don't have small children in the house.

Comment

A Google search for where to buy rubber ball ammo turned up this discussion.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/amm...un-shells.html

Short, interesting, different points of view.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
            A Google search for where to buy rubber ball ammo turned up this discussion.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/amm...un-shells.html

Short, interesting, different points of view.

-Tom
            Interesting discussion, and it left me thinking what to say just in case. I have the rubber ball ammon as the first two shells in the gun, the rest are regular ammo.

Comment

Anyone who enters my house without permission and with the intent of stealing or damaging my property or doing harm to my family does not deserve to walk out of my house under their own power. They should be carried out at the very least and preferably with a sheet pulled up over their face.

Throw away your rubber pellets, slugs and bullets. Reload with the real McCoy.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

B/D I'm sorry they thought they made the choice to mess with your place.Your words have been taken seriously in this home months ago when the economy started to turn.
                There are a lot more undesirables in this part of town with more time on their hands and even less money.
                There are no children in this house either,so defense weapons and ammo are more than readily accessible.
                I don't think they know what could be on the other side of some of the doors they are contemplating a breech.

Yes,I have an alert dog.

If I was you I'd be smokin' mad right now.I'd also be hopin' they'd come back next night.

The only thing out here in "Libby Land" is I'm kind of thinking I'll end up doing some kind of jail/prison unless I get him square in the chest at point blank.Any thing else might be persieved to be non life threatening.Does anyone know if I can shoot an intruder if I percieve him intending harm on my girlfriend even though he's got his back to me walking in her direction.

Adam

Comment

Adam I hope you get a better response, but I'm glad you are taking this discussion seriously. I myself have been quick to say "I'd kill'em" in the past but after talking to a neighbor who was a former head of detectives in my town I understand how complicated an issue this is. There are so many real life variables that it's hard to say with certainty what I might do given the situation. My neighbor said what if the person you found in your house was a neighbor's kid, not meaning to kill or harm you? I don't know what I would do if I had a split second or longer and was not in immediate danger(life and death). Do you pull the trigger regardless because he is in your home, period?
                  I was working in my garage about six or seven years ago and when I turned suddenly there was a young man several feet away. He said "It's okay I'm not going to hurt you I'm just selling magazines", my hand was already on my knife and I displayed it and told him what a stupid thing it was for him to approach like that. Do you err on the side of caution? That's why I have those two rounds of rubber ammo. We've all heard "Better to be judged by Twelve than carried by Six", I agree, just be ready to spend years in the legal system. I know that it isn't always other people who are victims, we are smart to be armed and ready, but what is the level of response? Things are no doubt going to get more crazy and violent as times become more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I've kept my shotgun unloaded and shells nearby, but since a buddy gave me a couple rounds of "Rubber Ball" ammo my shotgun stays loaded. They are non lethal and I don't have small children in the house.
                    Rather than using rubber rounds, you may want to look into frangible rounds. They're designed to do massive damage to flesh but break apart when hitting a wall. If I remember right, they even have a hard time going through 1/2" drywall. If you're going to shoot somebody it should be to kill, not wound. There is no such thing as a warning shot.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Interesting discussion

A few months ago one of my neighbors woke up with a man standing in her bedroom. He had entered through an unlocked door. Mother of 3 and husband was out of town. She reached for the cordless phone but it was missing. He had taken it. She insinctivly ran into her daughters room and locked the door, climbed out the window, ran across the street to wake the FBI agent. Leaving her sleeping children inside the house with the intruder.

The police found him using bloodhounds, hiding under someones front porch with a pillowcase full of objects taken from the home. Toothbrushes, cordless phone, stuffed animals, cat toys and baby shoes.

You see, he was a lunatic living on the fringe of society. He hadn't been taking his meds. He has the mind of a 5 year old. I had seen him before riding his bike around with a giant beach umbrella fully open strapped to the rear seat. A real wackjob but overall, harmless.

There was a legal gun in the house but was locked away. I wonder what if she had access and used it on him? She would have been fully justified in plugging him full of lead to protect her family, right? How traumatic it would have been for the kids if mommy shot and killed a man down the hall while they were sleeping? All because he wanted to play with a cat toy.

I saw him riding his bike again last week. I guess the court system didn't see it necessary to keep him longer than 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Rather than using rubber rounds, you may want to look into frangible rounds. They're designed to do massive damage to flesh but break apart when hitting a wall. If I remember right, they even have a hard time going through 1/2" drywall. If you're going to shoot somebody it should be to kill, not wound. There is no such thing as a warning shot.
                        Honestly, I feel if someone is in your home and you pull out your weapon and decide to shoot, you need to shoot to kill. If the person is cray enough to be in your home when you are home he is most likely crazy enough to harm you, your wife or kids. I keep 2 of my handguns in my finger safe next to my bed, they can be loaded in a matter of seconds. It also helps that the dog hears everything on the block as well.

Comment

Had someone get into my vehicles a little while back. While I was home. First thought it was Carl looking for a hammer drill.

They didn't try to enter the house. I keep a riot shotgun ready.

J.C.

Comment

It's going to be a bloodbath in my house if anyone tries their luck with me inside the 4 walls.

I don't care, who or what you are, kid/neighbor or thug, desperate or playing the game.

I'm sending you back to your friends in a body bag to learn the hard lessons of life. Closed casket perferably.

Don't care if I hurt a 1000 people by taking their loved one away; should of taught your family member that breaking and entering is my given right to execute to protect.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This just happened to a friend of mine last week. He was asleep on his couch and woke up to 2 people right in front of him taking his TV. He got up and said WTF is going on. A third person hit him from behind. They took his TV, laptop, cell phone, and cash out of his wallet. I probably wouldnt have believed it except for the side of his face being black and blue.

I've always thought the quickest way to get yourself killed is to pull a gun on somebody. Like Junkie said, if you shoot it should be to kill.

I dont want to shoot anybody, and I damn sure dont want to kill another human being. But if someone broke into my house I cant guarantee that either of those things wouldnt happen. I'm sure my life as I know it would cease to exist. I'd probably be arrested and charged with murder or willful injury. And that would be just the start. I'll save my rant on the gun banning bleeding heart liberals for another thread.

Sorry this happened to you BD.

Andy

Comment

This is an answer to dirtyhands question in a previous post.

I called the New York State Police and posed the question as asked by dirtyhands. The officer said. "They don't have to be going after your girlfriend or anyone else. If they are in your house you can shoot them." I asked again about shooting in the back and he gave me the same answer, "Sure. If they are in your house you can shoot somebody."

Will his answer apply to other areas of the counrty? No Clue.

It would be of interest to me if others of us call a police department and see what the answers are around the country.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X