X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Friendly Reminder Warning

Make sure that you lock up good and tight before you go to bed at night. Last night, while we were in the house sleeping, someone attempted to break into our house. We never heard a thing and didn't discover anything wrong until this AM. They cut a few screens and damaged a window but fortunately whoever it was wasn't able to gain access into the house. The part that amazed me was that we were in the house at the time, there was a visible car in the driveway and our guard cat was on duty but none of that stopped their attempt. Talk about gutsy!

After coaxing the guard cat out from under the bed, he is doing much better now after I gave him all the credit for scaring the bad guy away.

Those would be thieves don't know how lucky they were that they were so quiet and didn't wake me up. If they would have and I would have found them inside the house there is no way that they ever would have made it back outside.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: A Friendly Reminder Warning

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
    Make sure that you lock up good and tight before you go to bed at night. Last night, while we were in the house sleeping, someone attempted to break into our house. We never heard a thing and didn't discover anything wrong until this AM. They cut a few screens and damaged a window but fortunately whoever it was wasn't able to gain access into the house. The part that amazed me was that we were in the house at the time, there was a visible car in the driveway and our guard cat was on duty but none of that stopped their attempt. Talk about gutsy!

After coaxing the guard cat out from under the bed, he is doing much better now after I gave him all the credit for scaring the bad guy away.

Those would be thieves don't know how lucky they were that they were so quiet and didn't wake me up. If they would have and I would have found them inside the house there is no way that they never would have made it back outside.
    Home security is very important. Glad they didn't make it past the screen...
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Glad to hear everyone's OK Dave. That's another 'benefit' of higher unemployment and the economic hard times like we are in now.

Had a problem around here earlier this year. We upgraded our security system and added additional lighting, and I bought another box of ammo for my .45 ACP

My area is pretty rural, if I go a half mile in any direction I am in a farmers' field full of corn, tomatoes, soybean, pumpkins, peaches, apples, etc.

When it gets near harvest time there is always the required seasonal help that shows up and there is usually a spike in the crime rate for petty thefts, cars being broken into, B&Es to homes or outbuildings.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Glad it turned out well. We need to stay on guard, too many people live with an "Illusion of Security". I have a shot gun loaded with both rubberball shells and shot. My little dog makes noice if leaves hit the windows and I'm a light sleeper anyway. I don't think it matters a whole lot if you live rural or city, you can't rely on others to protect you in your home. Please safeguard your guns from children and angry wives!

Comment

"Please safeguard your guns from children and angry wives!"

Yes, I do that for sure.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wow BD, I'm glad nothing serious went wrong....

You sure that cat of yours doesn't need a pet shrink, it may have been more traumatized than you think....

Thats why I like dogs with big teeth....

A neighbor across the street last year got ripped off, while he was sleeping and it was the late afternoon, because he worked graveyard. Right after that incident he got a dog. But he lost 3 guns, knifes, fishing locators, and more, plus they got his ATV. Right in broad daylight, while most of us were at work...

No neighbors saw a thing.....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Wow BD, I'm glad nothing serious went wrong....

You sure that cat of yours doesn't need a pet shrink, it may have been more traumatized than you think....

Thats why I like dogs with big teeth....

A neighbor across the street last year got ripped off, while he was sleeping and it was the late afternoon, because he worked graveyard. Right after that incident he got a dog. But he lost 3 guns, knifes, fishing locators, and more, plus they got his ATV. Right in broad daylight, while most of us were at work...

No neighbors saw a thing.....
              Garager, a few years ago I tried to start a small business from home of video recording people's private property in the event of a loss due to burglary or fire. The idea works well in some areas hit by storms but around here I was not getting a positive response and gave up. I would suggest that everyone who owns or can borrow a camcorder not waste time in making a tape of your home and valuables. Start outside the house and without stopping slowly pan the outside to prove it is your house and then without stopping enter and go from room to room. Open closet doors to reveal clothing, display collections of music and DVD's . Don't forget your Tools. Once you are finished take the tape and either put it in a secure safe, safety deposit box or another friend or relatives home. Some insurance companies will keep a copy on hand if you ask them. In the event of a loss due to fire or crime you can at least show what was in your home and a picture is good evidence. Many insurance companies are suggesting you take pictures or make a video. Please think about it and most importantly, Do It!

Comment

wow sounds like you could have used Rosie to help track them down and then they would crap there pants
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Aw, BD, I was just trying to slip you some walleyes that you missed when you were up here. That's why the cat was so quiet!
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Garager, a few years ago I tried to start a small business from home of video recording people's private property in the event of a loss due to burglary or fire. The idea works well in some areas hit by storms but around here I was not getting a positive response and gave up. I would suggest that everyone who owns or can borrow a camcorder not waste time in making a tape of your home and valuables. Start outside the house and without stopping slowly pan the outside to prove it is your house and then without stopping enter and go from room to room. Open closet doors to reveal clothing, display collections of music and DVD's . Don't forget your Tools. Once you are finished take the tape and either put it in a secure safe, safety deposit box or another friend or relatives home. Some insurance companies will keep a copy on hand if you ask them. In the event of a loss due to fire or crime you can at least show what was in your home and a picture is good evidence. Many insurance companies are suggesting you take pictures or make a video. Please think about it and most importantly, Do It!

Years back on this old house, Tom Silva brother had his house burn down. The daughter was doing a school project with the camcorder inside their house, she even did their closets. Because of this, they were reimbursed well and they also had the above and beyond coverage which covered art and many other things.

I never forgot about that, I take pictures of everything (tools, equipments) and its on the net set at private. I also, try to get every single tool model and serial #'s written down, but have not placed it on the net yet, now its time...

The wife did a walk thru with the camcorder about 6 years ago, so I guess its time since I have change a few things around here...

Thanks for this thread and your heads up, I better get my butt into gear and update everything.... Some good can come out of something bad....
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

BD

Sorry to read the bad news and I'm glad you and your family are OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        Aw, BD, I was just trying to slip you some walleyes that you missed when you were up here. That's why the cat was so quiet!
                        Jim
                        Jim, didn't I ever tell you that because of my inability to catch a walleye on any of my many trips to the fine State Of MN that there is no way that I'll ever believe that there are any walleye in the whole state. What grocery store do you buy yours at?
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I live in a "gated" community in Florida.

Down here recently, anything made of metal is fair game for crooks, including manhole covers and drain covers.

Last week they took our community's aluminum rear emergency gate.

The sheriff is instituting new procedures, all scrap yards must copy ID cards and licenses and take pictures of people selling scrap.

We have also have had a couple if incidents of people being electrocuted in electrical substations while stealing the copper wire and chain link fencing. (Better than your average sidearm or taser).

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                            I live in a "gated" community in Florida.

Down here recently, anything made of metal is fair game for crooks, including manhole covers and drain covers.

Last week they took our community's aluminum rear emergency gate.

The sheriff is instituting new procedures, all scrap yards must copy ID cards and licenses and take pictures of people selling scrap.

We have also have had a couple if incidents of people being electrocuted in electrical substations while stealing the copper wire and chain link fencing. (Better than your average sidearm or taser).
                            I think it's great that your sheriff is being proactive. The plain metal alue of these things does not begin to make up for their replacement value. I saw one episode of "Cops" in FL where a homeless man was pushing a shopping cart with someone's aluminum siding. can you imagine the cost and difficulty in any that replaced? Year ago while working in the South Bronx we had a fourteen foot aluminum pulling frame stolen from a work area right on the street. Cost was several thousand dollars. We found it several blocks away in front of a junk yard. The owner said just take it, I think he paid the theives $20.00. I like that idea of ID's.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                              Jim, didn't I ever tell you that because of my inability to catch a walleye on any of my many trips to the fine State Of MN that there is no way that I'll ever believe that there are any walleye in the whole state. What grocery store do you buy yours at?
                              Morries!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X