msha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msha

Got a job at one of the mines in the area. Required to have safety training and certs. 1st day completed, two to go. I didn't realize MSHA inspectors have as much authority as U. S. Marshals ! Chemistry is always cool.

Re: msha

Good luck on the job.

Comment

I agree, chemisty is way cool. Almost everyone else I work with thinks the annual OSHA 10 hour refresher course for the HASWOPPER is a waste of time. I enjoy hearing the instructor talk about the chemical interactions. I enjoyed chemistry in High School and inorganic and organic chem in college. Because I wanted to know more about chemistry I took some physics courses which lead to one of my greatest learning experiences, theoretical physics and quantum mechanics. Great fun.

-Tom

Comment

Congrats on the new job, Stokefire. I hope you pay attention in that safety class, we want you around for a long time.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          I agree, chemisty is way cool. Almost everyone else I work with thinks the annual OSHA 10 hour refresher course for the HASWOPPER is a waste of time. I enjoy hearing the instructor talk about the chemical interactions. I enjoyed chemistry in High School and inorganic and organic chem in college. Because I wanted to know more about chemistry I took some physics courses which lead to one of my greatest learning experiences, theoretical physics and quantum mechanics. Great fun.

-Tom
          My son brought home a book on food chemistry, wow, I couldn't put it down.

Comment

I don't know if you are goofing with me or not but I have, 'How to Read a French Fry and other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science' by Russ Parsons. I love to read stuff like that.

Comment

I am not!

Comment

I am skeptical of food quality these days

Comment

Good, I wondered!

After you have had fun with your food science book you might want to pick up, 'A Short History of Nearly Everything,' by Bill Bryson. No science background is required for his explaination of almost everything scientific that you have ever heard about.

I love the way Bryson writes, a combination of Steven Pinker and Michio Kaku. Another book by Bryson, 'A Walk in the Woods,' a story about an Appalachian Trail hike he took with a pal is lighter and great fun also.

Off to camp in a couple hours to do some work for a few days. I think I will bring, 'A Short History...' with me.

-Tom

Comment

I am a food skeptic also. My wife, borned up in Batimore, with few gardening experiences now works tirelessly in our garden. The quailty of the food we produce ourselves can't compare to the supermarket offerings. Who knows what pesticides and hebicides we ingest from supermarket shelves? She still hasn't developed a taste for venison but she will eat a little.

-Tom

Comment

I'm glad today was the last. I almost bought so much safety, that life became dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                      X