5 Years Ago Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Years Ago Today

Five years ago today the Mid Atlantic got hit hard when Huricane Isabel roared, huffed and puffed and blew trees down, ripped down power lines and blew off roofs among doing much other damage. I was pretty lucky not to have much damage although I did have quite a mess to clean up and was on generator (mine) power for three days. Not far some people were without power for up to 10 days. Many houses and buildings were damages. Many trees were uprooted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Isabel

Re: 5 Years Ago Today

I should have started this thread with a better headline

Comment

I remember Isabel. Some people down the street were without power for 5 days. My lights flickered a few times, that's it. I'd have to camp at the Embassy Suites if my power was out for more than 20 minutes.

Comment

I remember it very well....well, its aftermath would be more correct.

My wife and I were in the Bahamas celebrating our anniversary. We originally thought that trip would be scuttled by Isabel. But, it took a slight right turn, missed the Bahamas, and made landfall in the Carolinas. By the time it worked its way North to Maryland it still had enough punch to take down about a dozen 50 ft. + thorny locusts in our back yard, rip the tops out of three Norwegian maples in the front yard, and send the neighbors 6 ft. board fence to Oz. We came home to quite a mess, but no damage to our home whatsoever. Our utilities are all underground so there wasn't too much disruption of electricity we're told. By the time we returned home, everything was pretty much back to normal except the tree debris.

We're many miles inland. I would have never imagined the power of the remnants of a hurricane had I not witnessed it. Heaven help those who have dealt with the full fury of such a storm.

Comment

Those poor people in Texas are hardly getting any media attention...

You know why?

I sure do.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

mike-n-md,

as far north as i am, the hurricans from your area effects us up here.

i do recall a number of years ago during the early 80's we experienced gale force winds up here for the better part of a day. i had to park my motorcycle because the wind was pushing me off the road.

there was also a large ship here at the time and it had to go 50 miles off shore before the captain was able to turn around without fear of capsizing.

to change the subject just a little, when mount st. helens blew up we had a layer of lava dust up here. there was a distinct grey layer of snow during the spring break-up.

i've always wondered what my people must of thought when things of that nature happened in the old days.

weather really is a global thing.

Comment

Working...
            X