Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renovators

Question for you all:

Question #1 - a renovator say's he can do a job in about a month...and 6 months later he is just about done and asking for the last 50% of his money...any recommendation on what to pay him?
    (ture story..he wants his money this coming week)

Question #2 - same as above but he is asking for another 12% due to increased costs...and only telling us this today...what would you pay him
    '
    (he claims to be giving us the "papers" on these increased costs next week)

Hmmm...

Peter

Re: renovators

If you didn't have a contract for completion dates, or proposed material costs schedule, this is an oral contract that might be baseless in a court of law.

1 month and 6 months is a big margin, how inconvenienced have you been?

Pain and suffering?

Inability to focus on the dining room? Lost sleep from irreversible sleep patterns?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPeterPeter View Post
      Question for you all:

Question #1 - a renovator say's he can do a job in about a month...and 6 months later he is just about done and asking for the last 50% of his money...any recommendation on what to pay him?

Question #2 - same as above but he is asking for another 12% due to increased costs...and only telling us this today...what would you pay him
      '

Hmmm...

Peter
      I believe there are a lot of things to factor in.

Is the job 5-months over due because of things related to the contractor or things beyond his control?

Did the increased cost happen in the first month or in the following 5-months?

Are you happy with the work which has been done?

It sounds like he has earned over 50% but I am not sure he has earned 100%. I would make sure the job is complete and all paper work is completed prior to paying a full 100%.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Question for you all:

'

Hmmm...

Peter
        Be polite and pay him only when he's done and the punchlist is complete. That's what I would do. It's up to you if the 12% is justified. I feel it is not in that the job ran over 5 months. If this is his doing then the 12% he must absorb. If it is YOUR doing through changes or some other reason then a %
        increase might not be unreasonable.

Still-going from 1 month to 6 months is an awful long time.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Question for you all:

'

Hmmm...

Peter
          You should have been concerned after the second month went by and no completion. Was there a guaranteed completion date in the contract? Was there a list of things to be completed? If not, then things are flaky. If things are open-ended and you put up with everything so far, then he proabably expects you to pay the extra costs. Hard to say without more info from you on how the deal went down.

When I price a job, if I screw up it comes out of my end. I don't estimate, I quote a firm price. Maybe your guy just estimated, and you agreed to pay overages. I dunno what your deal was, but I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what to do next time you have renovations done.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of work he's doing...but I have flipped several houses over the last 2-3 years. I do what I can handle in my off time from my day job and the stuff that is beyond my skills I farm out. I let a couple of guys go in the middle of jobs because they were not meeting the timeline or the quality of work they promise. If this guy told me one month at 6 or 7 weeks he would have been gone. I say pay him the original agreed price and let him eat the increase. Good luck. P.S. DON'T HIRE HIM AGAIN.

Comment

Was this a licensed contractor?

Were they recommended to you?

How was there price compared to others'?

J.C.

Comment

The last 50% is probably what he'll make after paying for stock..although he ran over in time it would be immoral to attempt to stiff him.

As for the added costs, there is absolutely no possible way to determine whether he's justified or not with the details given.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Was this a licensed contractor?

Were they recommended to you?

How was there price compared to others'?

J.C.

Peterpeterpeter? You there?

J.C.

Comment

Wait a minute, I remember you. You installed the Moen showervalve wrong with the valve way over to the left with a PEX drop.

Right?

J.C.

Comment

Peterpeterpeter is now on my banned list. No more help for Peterpeterpeter.

J.C.

Comment

Question for you all:

'

Hmmm...

Peter
                        6 months later?????

You allowed this to happen and now your asking about if you should pay him. This guy is unlicensed, isn't he???

This is how I handle my contracts, 1/3 up front, 1/3 halfway point, finale payment when job is completed and lien waver is given. Sometimes I will ask for some extra material money up front, because its a large job. Or we create an account and just draw from that.

Remodeling is tough, I have done to many projects to count. There is always hidden problems in a remodeling job, but this is why we have change order forms. So we can account for these extra hours and extra materials.

Should you pay this guy extra, part of me says for you to demand to see the reason behind it. Part of me says, this is stupid because I do believe you hired a hack.....
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Dear
                          JCsPlumbing

Thank god...opinions from you are like...well...I think being the type of "helpful" person you are...you have heard the rest of this saying...many times.
                          Last edited by PeterPeterPeter; 02-05-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X