No announcement yet.

welding question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: welding question

for cost I would suggest a buzz box welder, jsut a low cost AC preferable AC / DC, if you can find or afford it, but even a old AC will teach you and you can learn a lot and weld a tremendous amount of things with one, and can find them used for nearly nothing. IT would probly cost one more for new leads and hood than for the welder.
    (yes some of the nicer newer welders you look on the chart and set the welder to the chart and it will nearly weld for you),

the DC will allow one to run more type of welding rod, and what I think better rods,

one can get the smaller Hobart wire feed welder (think it is a 125 amp) it will run a a fairly small generator at that, add the gas kit on it, and you will have a MiG unit for the lighter things, (Hobart is made by Miller), and the biggest change is the paint, there are a few small other differences), but at time you will see some of them for sale with free shipping from Norther tools,

we buy 7018 rod for the most part, on the farm here, it does take DC (there is a AC 7018 now made as well), it is a lest brittle weld, and normally buy a 50 pound box at a time,
    7018 is said to need to keep in a oven for best results,
    but for AC 6013 or 6011 rod are good rods to start with, (the 6011 is a deep penetrating rod, good for rusty dirty crap welding, but it will splatter and hard to make a pretty weld with it, 6013 one can make a pretty weld,

but practice and practice, I taught my self how to weld when I was in grade school jsut got scrap and my mother bought a AC Ward's 230 amp welder and my Dad got it wired in, and started to weld, my dad had a few friends who gave me a few pointers, and the rest was practice and practice and practice, later on in high school I did take some welding classes, but besides some basics it was more practice, but did have the opportunity to ask some one who knew how to, and solve some issues.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

In the words of Jessie James "there are two kinds of men in the world. Those that can weld, and those that can't"

The community college idea is a good one to get the basics, but I second the notion that practice, practice, practice is what makes you a welder. However, practice will result in you laying a good bead. It takes a little book learning or working with a pro to learn to anneal the HAZ so you won't have brittle areas next to the weld.

To start, a buzz-box is the most economical, and will let you weld about anything 1/8" or thicker out of common steel. Get the feel of laying a bead on a flat surface, then stand it up and work on vertical. Just when you think you have the hang of it, try overhead and realize how much you don't know. I have seen a lot of guys that could weld a beautiful bead on the table, but couldn't stick squat together laying on their back under a vehicle.

You will find that once people know you have a welder, and you tell them you know how to use it, they think you can repair anything. Most "repairs" end up not being flat on a table.

PS. If you do buy a buzz box, and have an air compressor, invest in a pneumatic needle descaler. It sure beats a chipping hammer in knocking the slag off. Other tools that will come in handy are a 4" high speed grinder, some flap wheels for it, and a port-a-band saw (Milwaukee - is their any other brand?).
        Last edited by Gofor; 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working