Alligator Gar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alligator Gar

This is a bit random... but I figured I would post this up since I thought it was so cool. I was screwing around looking at fish pictures last night when I came across this one of an Alligator Gar. Pretty intimidating looking for a fish.

[IMG]file:///C:/WINNT/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Josh

Re: Alligator Gar

I just crossed my legs and pushed the chair away from the computer....
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen one of those. Thats one mean lookin' fish....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i've never seen one that big. i thought the 2nd pix was an aligator (not gar) at first from the teeth alone.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I'll have to find you the photo of me standing next to one my Dad caught in Mississippi. It is hanging from a tree and me, as a little tike, just come up to the tail. My recollection was that it was 60-some pounds and 79" long.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Bet it didn't take long for them to bash in it's head.
            shup

Comment

Me with Dad's alligator gar in Biloxi, Mississippi.
              Attached Files
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Oh HEeeelll NO! Now I can never go swimming. That's some crazy s&*t off the island of Dr. Moreau.

J.C.

Comment

How fast can you say, CUT THE LINE!!!!
                  ================================================== ====
                  ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Had a lot of those in the Mississippi river sloughs up north of St Louis when I was a kid. That was the first time I ever saw someone fishing with bow. I hooked one of the "needle nose" variety (only a 3 1/2 footer) here in NC in the Neuse river when wade fishing for bass. Got it all the way in just because it was too mean to turn loose of the lure. I grabbed it by the snout and flipped him into the pirough I had tied to me to hold our gear and beer. Found out the only way to "scale" them is to skin them, and then they aren't fittin' to eat. Bony, mushy, and not a good flavor (of course that could have been 'cause of the water it was in). It sure was fun fighting it on a light rod with 5 lb test line. Probably good sport for bow fishing, tho, as they get up over 8' long.

Go
                    Last edited by Gofor; 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM.
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I like to low crawl through the bushes to the edge of the bank with a bowie knife between my teeth and jump on the back of them and fillet them in place with my knife.

On a serious note, if you want to catch them with a fishing rod, get some long thin strands of white nylon thread and tie it to a jig head with no hook. Work the top action. The nylon catches on their teeth so you don't need a hook. I learned this in Senegal from some local soldiers who catch fish like this with spider webs...... seriously.
                      Last edited by gear junkie; 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

G17 Fishing. Right on.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          How fast can you say, CUT THE LINE!!!!
                          BD; If you didn't use these for bait, no wonder you didn't catch any walleyes!!

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                            Me with Dad's alligator gar in Biloxi, Mississippi.
                            Thanks Steve. Pretty cool to see the Old school pic's.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Tell ya wut... I wish my old lady had a set of teeth like that so I don't have to rely on my dog every night.
                              Last edited by Billy Bob; 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM.
                              Git 'er done!
                              Americun Dream... Got me a fridge, TV and a wife and all three work.

Comment

Working...
                              X