Radical change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radical change

First, I'm pretty sure this is an ok topic, but if it falls under the recently banned "political" category I'll understand if Josh or Mark close the thread.

Today was a very strange day for the stock market.

Without going into detail, in the news there's talk of a lot of radical change in the stock market.

I heard the feds may control/limit the income of CEO's, limit the oil market...as well they are already controlling "short" trading.

I know these topics have come up in the past, I agree that the government should not be controlling free trade, but the flip side is when free trade can actually jeopardize our way of life, even our safety.

My personal feeling is that the governement should not be controlling free trade for smaller & moderate sized business...

BUT, when a stock or commodity becomes so huge that it can monopolize not just the competitors in it's own market, but the economy as a whole something needs to be done.

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this....

Re: Radical change

I'm thinking on it. You might be right when it gets to monopoly size. Remember Rockefeller? They can get big enough to become government within government.

Still thinking....and pissed about the "bailout."

J.C.

Comment

This has been my thinking on big oil, it is an essential commodity which threatens our economy and way of life. I also agree that aside from accepted government regulations there is no need for more involvement in smaller businesses whether they are publically or privately owned. I see the bailout as more of a problem, especially if credit card debt will be handled the same way. We will now be paying for the people who could not meet their mortgage debt and the crooks who gave them the loans which they knew would not be paid. Imagine if enough people default on their credit card debt and the government bails out those businesses hurt? Does that mean we get to pay for those debts too?

Comment

Any time a law is made that has an effect on business or buying or the way it is done,

by passing LAWS you are putting limits on free trade,

take plumbing for instance,
        a series of laws were passed at some time in history, to licence the trade in most locations, that limits free trade, now one needs to pay a tax to work in that trade, and the requirements of the licence, places limits on how you conduct your business, insurance and other. thus your costs are more than some one who is not licenced,

Is that free trade?

any time a law is made to control any form of a business the "FREE" is limited.

If every one is on the same playing field then the trade is level or even, even tho restriction is in place, but then again it is not free trade it may be "even" or "level" trade.

IT is the same with jobs that have gone over seas, the manufactures figure in the costs of and the restrictions of governmental regulations and the limits they have to work with or around, and determine where the best is for them. and where they can make usaly the most money in the producing of there products and selling of them.

Simple example: You can many times find big differences on this type of governmental interference near boarders of many areas, one location requires more taxes or higher costs to operate than the guy across the street in the other district, who may not have hardly any cost associated with his business via government intervention, say no city sales tax, just that may lower the consumers cost by 5% to even 10% in some areas, makes it difficult to make sales across the street.
        so what is the other business to do, more than likely move across the street, to the lower cost business area.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ive heard the term :free trade" since the nafta debacle. please define free trade and how it has helped you. im not questioning your sincerity, just see nothing free trade has done to help the people in the USA since the Nafta debacle was introduced. maybe im an ignorant redneck, but free trade hasnt helped me at all. global economy is another catxhall phrase. it seems to this working class peon that global economy hasnt helped either. maybe i should give it longer? please tell me how to understand it. i am sincere, i need help to understand.

Comment

In my opinion "Free Trade" means the USA accepts all the products of the Global economy but the rest of the world does not reciprocate. The largest trade deficit in history proves we do not have free trade, we have a farce. We import substandard parts and poisonous food and feed. I think we need "Radical Change" back to an economy based on actually making most of the goods we consume instead of this smoke and mirrors economy which seems to have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              In my opinion "Free Trade" means the USA accepts all the products of the Global economy but the rest of the world does not reciprocate. The largest trade deficit in history proves we do not have free trade, we have a farce. We import substandard parts and poisonous food and feed. I think we need "Radical Change" back to an economy based on actually making most of the goods we consume instead of this smoke and mirrors economy which seems to have failed.
              There is free trade. There is just not beneficial trade to the U.S. We were at the top of the capitalist system within ourselves. Now we belong to world capitalism. Some countries hide under Communist etc. rule-but they are still very much part of the world capitalism system now. That system is rebalancing to where we are no longer at the top. Countries at the top of the economic level come down, often from their own doing. Countries at the bottom of the economic level come up.

Now Frankiarmz, when are you gonna' get off your butt and run for local office. I've never seen someone so fired up about governmental issues. You can have the fastest impact locally. You might be great at it. Get too it!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                There is free trade. There is just not beneficial trade to the U.S. We were at the top of the capitalist system within ourselves. Now we belong to world capitalism. Some countries hide under Communist etc. rule-but they are still very much part of the world capitalism system now. That system is rebalancing to where we are no longer at the top. Countries at the top of the economic level come down, often from their own doing. Countries at the bottom of the economic level come up.

Now Frankiarmz, when are you gonna' get off your butt and run for local office. I've never seen someone so fired up about governmental issues. You can have the fastest impact locally. You might be great at it. Get too it!

J.C.
                Thanks J.C., but you're gonna get me in trouble! I'm a simple stay at home Dad complaining about things that impact my shopping budget. Someone like me should not be in a position to mess with the economy by pissing off foreigners, or God forbid be allowed in on any bomb dropping decisions. I complain about them lobbyists in washington but heck, I'd sell out for a box of Twinkies. Maybe a case, don't want to look too easy.

Comment

Nationally, maybe Franki. But, locally might be just the ticket for you. Heck, I might do it too one day.

Then I can form a DIY & Handyman CSI/SWAT team.

J.C.

Comment

Nationally, maybe Franki. But, locally might be just the ticket for you. Heck, I might do it too one day.

Then I can form a DIY & Handyman CSI/SWAT team.

J.C.
                    Seriously J.C., I think you would miss the productive work ,the sense of accomplishment. I sure miss my job. Politics seems to be a slow snails pace sort of thing, you play to the crowd and become a part of that gray area. People mad at you for this and that. At least now you know you did a good job and if the customer is not satisfied they can't vote you out of the business. I will say you have a look of authority and honesty. I can see the cameras and reporters surrounding you now. Think carefully.

Comment

Yeah then they would dig up all the stuff I've said on here and twist it around.

But on the other hand it would give you and others something else to talk/fight/complain about.

Decisions, decisions....

J.C.

Comment

Yeah then they would dig up all the stuff I've said on here and twist it around.

But on the other hand it would give you and others something else to talk/fight/complain about.

Decisions, decisions....

J.C.
                        Me complain? I hadn't noticed. Yes, let's not forget all those posts. I have actually said some things that could be mistaken as unkind towards illegals and leaders of other countries. I vaguely remember including France on a list of countries I'd nuke. Nah, better forget a run for office.

Comment

Working...
                        X