X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfoundland Water Rescue Dog

I don't venture into this area of the forum much, but it was suggested that I post this for all of the users to enjoy.

I own, show, and train Newfoundland dogs as a hobby. Below are links to the videos that were taken when one of my Newfs passed the test for her "Water Rescue Dog (WRD) Title". I hope you all enjoy the videos.

Windancer's Duchess Isabella - WRD

This is what she had to do to pass the test.

Double Retrieve
    On this exercise, two articles are dropped 75' from shore. The dog has to retrieve the articles in a pre-determined order, one at a time, and bring them back to the handler. The dog has to hold the article and give it to the handler. They cannot drop it on shore.

Retrieve offthe Boat
    The dog and handler go out in the boat. The handler "drops" a paddle. The dogs MUST stay on the boat until directed by the handler to retrieve the paddle. The dog must bring the paddle back to the boat, and give it to the handler.

Take the Life Ring
    3 "victims" are 75' away from shore, and 50' apart. Only one of the victims will be calling for help. The dog must take the end of the rope and swim out to, and around the "victim" close enough for the victim to grab the ring. The dog then must tow the victim to shore

Underwater Retrieve
    On this exercise, the dog must retrieve an article from under the water.

Take a line/Tow the Boat
    Here, we have a "stranded" boat. The dog must voluntarily take the end of the line, and swim out to the boat close enough for the person to grab the rope. The dog must then tow the boat to shore until it "beaches" the boat

Rescue Handler
    On this exercise, the handler "falls" off t he boat. The dog must stay on the boat until called by the handler. At that point, the dog jumps from the boat, swims to the handler, and tows him/her to shore. This was the final exercise for the test. As you can tell by my reaction, she passed the test, and got her title

Re: Newfoundland Water Rescue Dog

I watched ALL the videos.
    I am so impressed by you and your dog, that I actually don't know what all to say. Congrats to you both for an excellent job -- and what dedication on both your part and that wonderful wonderful animal!
    Cheers,
    Jim Don

Comment

Charlie, show him what Rosie does on land. I think she does on land what your dogs do in water!
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Beautiful dog and great job. I use to have a springer that loved water. My only problem was he would dive after injured ducks and I was always worried he would not surface again. One year while goose hunting in Oregon we were walking across a foot bridge and he decided to catch the fish he saw swimming under the ice. Before I could stop him he jumped through the ice and started chasing fish. As I knew I would not survive the water I had to stand there and watch. Thankfully he found an open spot in the ice came back to shore and went straight to heal. As much fun as I had working with the dog it was like having another teenager in the house.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Awesome dog, congrats

Comment

Your dog is truly an amazing animal. Congratulations on the title.

Comment

Congrats, NewfGuy! Well-deserved titles.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Help please. I want to see the videos but the colors are all mixed up. Audio is fine. What can I do?

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by NewfGuy View Post
                  I don't venture into this area of the forum much, but it was suggested that I post this for all of the users to enjoy.

I own, show, and train Newfoundland dogs as a hobby. Below are links to the videos that were taken when one of my Newfs passed the test for her "Water Rescue Dog (WRD) Title". I hope you all enjoy the videos.

Windancer's Duchess Isabella - WRD

This is what she had to do to pass the test.

Double Retrieve
                  On this exercise, two articles are dropped 75' from shore. The dog has to retrieve the articles in a pre-determined order, one at a time, and bring them back to the handler. The dog has to hold the article and give it to the handler. They cannot drop it on shore.

Retrieve offthe Boat
                  The dog and handler go out in the boat. The handler "drops" a paddle. The dogs MUST stay on the boat until directed by the handler to retrieve the paddle. The dog must bring the paddle back to the boat, and give it to the handler.

Take the Life Ring
                  3 "victims" are 75' away from shore, and 50' apart. Only one of the victims will be calling for help. The dog must take the end of the rope and swim out to, and around the "victim" close enough for the victim to grab the ring. The dog then must tow the victim to shore

Underwater Retrieve
                  On this exercise, the dog must retrieve an article from under the water.

Take a line/Tow the Boat
                  Here, we have a "stranded" boat. The dog must voluntarily take the end of the line, and swim out to the boat close enough for the person to grab the rope. The dog must then tow the boat to shore until it "beaches" the boat

Rescue Handler
                  On this exercise, the handler "falls" off t he boat. The dog must stay on the boat until called by the handler. At that point, the dog jumps from the boat, swims to the handler, and tows him/her to shore. This was the final exercise for the test. As you can tell by my reaction, she passed the test, and got her title
                  Good to know what these animals are capable of. I have a friend/customer that has one that I call "The Retarded Pony". You can guess why.

J.C.

Comment

thanks newfguy

newfguy posted this on a different forum and i loved watching his dogs work
                    it is nice to watch a dog do what is natural for them to do .

rosie loves to swim but the only thing she will save is here toys

his dogs can drive a car to just look at his avatar
                    Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM.
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a lot of work, but it's something that we really enjoy. It is great to see the natural instincts kick in on these dogs. Some take more work than others. With this dog, it was actually fairly easy. It's as if she knew all along what to do, I just had to "tune her up a bit". We started training this summer for the WRDX (Water Rescue Dog Excellent) title. Each time you move up, the exercises get more difficult. One of the exercises requires us to go out 100' in a boat. I then give her the end of a 150' rope, and she has to volutarily jump from the boat, and swim the line to shore. I didn't have to teach her to do that at all. The first time we went out, I gave her the line, and she jumped and swam to shore. Same thing with the "Abandoned Boat" exercise. A boat is sitting 75' out in the water. There is a line tied to the front of the boat with a bumper on the other end. The line is dropped on the "seaward" side of the boat, so the dog cannot see it. The dog swims out to the boat, finds the line, and tows the boat to shore. I didn't have to teach her that one either. She just knew what I wanted her to do. One of the other exercises she has to do is called the "Unconsious Victim". A "victim" goes out 50' and "plays dead". The dog is supposed to swim out, grab the victim by the hand, and tow them to shore. This is a difficult exercise because Newfies are so gentle, and do NOT like to put a person's hand in their mouth. (It's like biting them, and Newfies don't like to bite people) Belle is about 75% there. She'll swim out to the victim, but doesn't want to take the hand. Hopefully, next spring we'll get her to do that. Another neat exercise is the "Capsized Boat". A "victim" paddles out 50' in a rubber raft and "accidently" capsized the boat, and is trapped underneath. The dog has to swim out, go under the boat, find the victim, go back under the boat, and bring the victim back to shore. Belle is about 90% on that one.

The first test next year will be in August. Hopefully, she'll be ready. I will have someone film that test and I'll post the vids.

Comment

Awesome work! Will you and your dog attempt the Water Rescue Dog Excellent now?

Comment

Thanks to you both for all the hard work you put into achieving this level of proficiency. It is great to see what a dedicated team of man and dog can do. You can rightly be proud of your well deserved awards.

Hopefully you will never have to test these skills in real life, but its comforting to know that you and others are ready to assist if need be.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Markalus View Post
                            Awesome work! Will you and your dog attempt the Water Rescue Dog Excellent now?
                            Yes. The first test next year will be in August. We will start training as soon as it's warm enough for ME to get back in the water again; usually mid-April. Now that it's too cold for me to get in the water, I'm getting a little more weight on her so we can show her. All the swimming takes anywhere from 6 to 10 pounds off of her, and that makes her too thin to show in the Conformation ring.

Comment

Working...
                            X