X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the canadian metric system eh

when i was a little plumber guy in grade school during the '70's, we were taught imperial, standard, and metric systems.

in fact when i went to plumbing school in edmonton we had to be very knowledgable in all three measuring systems due to our close proximity to our friends in the states. all of our plumbing and gasfitting exams flip-flopped back and forth.

the funny thing about the so called switch over to nothing but the metric system has never really happened. in fact, we have sort of developed a high-bred measuring system.

here are some examples;

- 1/2 a kilometre, 1/2 a litre, 1/2 a centimetre,...etc (that is the proper way of spelling meter and liter in metric).

- our 5 gal gas cans are stamped 23L, but the can still holds 5 imperial gallons.

- our plumbing pipe diameter is measured in mm's. but we still refer to them in standard measurements.

-freight is weighed in kilograms. then calculated in pounds for the aircraft.

- all of our boiler gauges are in standard, and metric.

- i'm of the trudeu erra, i've gotten really good with my metric conversion calculator. eh.

Re: the canadian metric system eh

We in Australia changed from imperial to the metric system over thirty years ago it was hard at the beginning but is second nature now what amazes me when you watch a science fiction series like Star Trek or watch National Geo on sat TV Mega Structures or Air Crash Investigators which is made in the US they speak in metric measurements but use the imperial (inches and foot, Ibs per square foot) measurent in their day to day lives.

Tony

Comment

Re: the canadian metric system eh

Your gas cans are probably that way because it is easier to just keep making the 5 gallon cans and stamping them 23l instead of changing the tooling in the factory to make cans that round to a metric. If you pay attention you will notice that most containers in North America are roundly imperial but have metric equivalents noted on them.
      However, a dozen eggs is still a dozen eggs. If the egg industry could convince us that the metric dozen is 10 they would gladly charge us for 12 eggs while giving us 10 eggs.

I hope the US never converts. I use both systems, it isn't difficult to learn both. The system I use(in most cases) depends on which one allows me to calculate easier in my head.
      When I studied physics the english system was truly nuts, but it had it's advantages when doing things in your head.
      The problem with the metric system is that it is contrived and is often unwieldy, the english system does have some crazy elements to it, but it is generally more applicable to reality.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
      X