1 candle, 1 igloo @ -40 below

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1 candle, 1 igloo @ -40 below

Spinner, if I ever need an engineer I am calling you, and if I ever go to Alaska and need to build an igloo I hope you are someplace nearby.

I love those kinds of problems.

Good work.

-Tom

Comment

Don't forget that the state change from solid (ice) to liquid (water) requires huge amounts of energy compared to the warming of air.
      To melt a pound of ice (15 oz water) you need about 144 BTU's.
      You also need to consider that as it gets warmer in the igloo the delta between the inside and outside temperatures increase which requires more BTU's to maintain the temperature.
      Really good question, lots of variables and dependencies.
      I know from digging 'igloos' in snow banks that they go warm up nicely

Comment

i think i just got frostbite reading this

another reason to live in the tropics.

good luck Vince. i hope you never have to try this out in the real world. brrrr

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

as far as i know, igloos around here only melt in the spring.

a layer of ice is formed on the inside. i don't think that it was much of a concern. i do recall old photo of a partially lined igloo with caribou skins.

because of the build-up of soot, the inside was scraped quite regulary. the oil lamp polluted the inside with toxic fumes. we didn't smoke back then but we mostly died of lung cancer and enphazima. average life span less that 100 years ago was 35 years.

back in the day, the Inuit rarely saw temps above 70/21 degrees. even during the heat of the summer. the animals and the Inuit wait for the cold weather.

it's kind of ironic that we used to need the ice and snow to survive. it's almost a hypicritical statement.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
            i think i just got frostbite reading this

another reason to live in the tropics.

good luck Vince. i hope you never have to try this out in the real world. brrrr

steve
            this is my real world. i like it like that!

Comment

Vince, I know I amnot the only one wondering about this, so I will ask--just exactly where is Rankin Inlet? Just give me someplace close so I can place it in my mind. (what little there is left of it) Thanks, Jim

Comment

i say this should be a round up event
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

From what I've seen on telebision, getting the right kind of snow to make the igloo is important. It's hard to find real dense hard-pack snow. It takes that kind of almost-ice snow to make the blocks that make the igloo. You'll want to have a way to angle the tops of the wall blocks so that they slope inwards. At first, I'd think any kind of angle stick would do, as long as you're consistent. Once you get the hang of it, you could probably eyeball it.

You have GOT to get pictures of your practice igloos!! This sounds like the best-ever hunting trip I could imagine.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    Vince, I know I amnot the only one wondering about this, so I will ask--just exactly where is Rankin Inlet? Just give me someplace close so I can place it in my mind. (what little there is left of it) Thanks, Jim
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankin_Inlet%2C_Nunavut

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html - Get the weather there
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I found it on Google Earth. If you like fishing it looks like Rankin Inlet is a fisherman's paradise

Comment

Thanks Tinmack. I read the wikpedia, but I found out they left out one famous person--Vince the Plumber!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                          rankin is located about 1500 miles north of winnipeg, manitoba. or about 300 miles north of churchill, manitoba. half way up the west coast of the hudson's bay.

googleearth.com has a really good view.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                            From what I've seen on telebision, getting the right kind of snow to make the igloo is important. It's hard to find real dense hard-pack snow. It takes that kind of almost-ice snow to make the blocks that make the igloo. You'll want to have a way to angle the tops of the wall blocks so that they slope inwards. At first, I'd think any kind of angle stick would do, as long as you're consistent. Once you get the hang of it, you could probably eyeball it.

You have GOT to get pictures of your practice igloos!! This sounds like the best-ever hunting trip I could imagine.
                            there's actually alot more to building an igloo then it would seem.

it's hard to explain without pictures. once we get the right kind of snow i'll take pics of the build.

my mom made a small one in winnipeg when i was a little boy. we had quite a bit of traffic on our street that christmas.

i'm really looking forward to this build. i will keep posting.

by the way, the lakes and the ground are starting to freeze. the geese and the ducks are heading your way.

old man winter is a come-in.

Comment

Working...
                            X