X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to cause the most water damage

i have seen some pretty nasty things. i'm sure we all have some good stories to tell.

have you ever been called to a job that caused alot of water damage due to an ignored leak?

i'll start.

i was hired by a lady to replace a wc.

when i tried to remove the t-bolt nuts is when i noticed the rotten floor. a quick inspection reveiled that the toilet tank wasn't insulated.

up here, the incoming water is so cold that it will cause the toilet tank to sweat. this will cause a puddle to form at the base of the bowl. our tanks are lined with styrofoam to prevent the sweating.

i don't know how long the tank had been dripping onto the floor for, but the plywood sud-floor was very soft. i informed the lady of the house that the floor had to be replaced under the toilet before i could set the toilet. my concern was that if i replaced the wc with the floor in the condition that it was, i wasn't sure how long the floor could continue to support her 350 plus lbs.

as it turned out, i put the new wc together but i don't have the tools or the expertise to replace the rotten floor. and to be honest, i also didn't want my installation to coincide with her going through the floor. i'm sure that would be a sight, and a law-suit.

in my estimation, that dripping tank caused about $1000+ worth of damage to the floor and wall.

just trying to protect what little a$$ets i have.

Re: how to cause the most water damage

I worked on a case in Southern California where the owners lived in Oregon and only stayed at the home during the winter months. The shaft on a ballcock cracked and no one knew about it until the pool man notice water coming out of the patio door. By the time the property manager open the home they said it looked like a lush jungle of mold. Total damages were in excess of $500,000.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I worked on a case in Southern California where the owners lived in Oregon and only stayed at the home during the winter months. The shaft on a ballcock cracked and no one knew about it until the pool man notice water coming out of the patio door. By the time the property manager open the home they said it looked like a lush jungle of mold. Total damages were in excess of $500,000.

Mark
      The funny part, to me, is that they only stayed in the winter months, yet had a pool and a pool man!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        The funny part, to me, is that they only stayed in the winter months, yet had a pool and a pool man!
        thank God for the pool man!

wonder if he called the plumber?

Comment

My all time favorite.

The Twelve-Plex movie theatre I was running back in the early 90's required a three inch copper main running up and over theatre #3 to the mezzanine where the bathroom batteries were locate. The job was ran fast to be completed at 150 days or letters of non-compliances were going to be mailed out so every trade was on top of each other.Great super had everyone in perfect concert but there was no time to take it easy like a union job().

Long story longer,when it came time to energize the water I had four guys on watch.One at the regulator/main station,One in each bath(mns+wmns)and me in the mech. room.
          So I'm watching the guage come up 30..50..75..85..100.All the sudden it drops to a pulsating 15-20.I run out to the mezanine to yell at the kid on the valve to shut it down and I can see theatre #3 with a water fall coming through the t-bar.He'd already heard it and shut it down.

Theatre's are sloped..There was 18" of water in the corridor behind the screen at the stairs going up and out to the parking lot.

A length of 3" pipe made it out of the manufacture being way undersized out of spec.It blew out of it's coupling that couldn't hold.Thank goodness the chairs weren't in yet.Couple more days and the mnfctr. would have bought those too.

Comment

Holy COW!!! How does taht happen!! I can't belive the solder wouldn't hold it though?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              Holy COW!!! How does taht happen!! I can't belive the solder wouldn't hold it though?
              If the pipe is that sloppy the solder is gapped it cannot hold.I thought at the time I got lucky and a couple 3" fittings finally went on normal.I was wrong all the other fittings had to be motivated with a single jack and wood block.

Comment

Working...
              X