X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ's, propane, and cancer

i'm just wondering if anybody other than me is concerned about the warnings when cooking over a propane bbq.

i've heard that because the meat is cooked rapidly over the flame that it releases cancer causing agents.

i can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that people are cooking meat/food in the products of combustion.

any thoughts??

Re: BBQ's, propane, and cancer

Vince, I think the whole issue of cancer and carcinogens is a complicated one. Are some of us genetically predisposed to develop cancer from these different sources? Can supplements help ward off cancer? I think we can reduce our risks by applying moderation, maybe barbeque once a week or eat red meat less frequently. You work hard and think that's all the exercise your body needs to stay healthy but it's probably not the case. I am equally concerned about environmental contaminants which could cause an array of cancers. Wear gloves when handling chemicals, solvents, wear a dust mask or respirator when working in a hazardous environment. Protect your children and wife by scrubbing your hands and cleaning under your nails when you get home. You need to take a whole body approach to protecting your health. How long these carcinogens stay in our bodies is also very important. I believe it is important to move your bowels every day, so eating enough fiber and drinking plenty of clean water will help to stay healthy. Put it all together and you can relax and barbeque the heck out of that steak, just don't do it too often.

Comment

If you go to CA everything causes cancer, much more than it seems in NY.

If we're scared of everything, what fun would life be. I love red meat off a grill, I can't imagine that propane would be worse than charcoal.

Comment

spending too much time in front of a computer screen can cause cancer

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

High temps are one of the culprits. If you burn food on the stove it also is carcinogenic.
          Low temp slow cooking is the safer way.
          If you barbque your food everyday I would be concerned, once a month I doubt it is a problem.
          I remember a canadian study that showed people who ate grilled food routinely without vegetables had 5 times the normal rate of colon cancer. The people studied had grilled food almost daily. Eating veggies with the food reduced the rate of cancer, but I do not remember by how much.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Re: BBQ, propane, and cancer

My Dad ate real butter, eggs, chicken fat, real meat etc. He's dead! But he died at the age of 92!

I remember when butter was bad and margarine was good, whole milk is bad but soy milk is better, we have chickens running on treadmills now so they can give us low cholesterol eggs! Oh, and don't forget red dye#2 and marshmallow fluff!

Bottom line is, if you eat good quality food, real food, less processed food and the good stuff in moderation you should be ok for a long time. I do real eggs, butter, and real milk.
            Well, 2% real milk as my wife thinks whole milk is too fat! I recall when real whole milk came in glass bottles with cream floating on top. My Dad's worst fear of milk was the milk man staying too long after delivering the milk ha ha.

I'm looking for BHA or BHT at my local health food store! That stuff is used as a preservative. You have seen it listed on cereal boxes I'm sure. Now think about this..when was the last time you saw a spoiled box of cereal? I figure if I take this stuff I'll live forever!

Cactus Man

Comment

I heard once that saliva causes cancer but only when injested in small amounts over extended periods of time.

-Tom

Comment

Re: BBQ, propane, and cancer

I'm with cactusman. My folks did the same thing--only made it to 90, tho. I have followed suit and so far so good. Made it past 76 and don't take any prescriptions or have any health problems. A little slower than I used to be, but what the heck, now I have the time! I guess the one question I would have is if the propane cooking is bad, what about gas stoves and ovens?

Comment

i thank all of you.

i have recently cut down on the amount of processed foods i consume. homemade; bread, cinnimon rolls, pizza, candy. i haven't gained any weight thankfully, because my lady loves cooking and baking.

up here, if you take a can of spam or klik out on the land and open it up, the processed meat that is exposed starts to turn green in about 1/2 hour. no word of a lie. i stopped eating that stuff many moons ago because of that. same goes for those ready made sub-sandwiches, you know the ones packed in CO2 that taste better if you let them breath air before eating.

i'm probably being jjjuusstt a little paranoid regarding this. i'll take another one of those pills the doc gave me and everything will be fine.

Comment

of all the chemicals and exhaust fumes I've inhaled over the years, cancer from a propane grill is the least of my worries.

Comment

Working...
                    X