No announcement yet.

favorite recipe

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite recipe

this is a little off the wall but i'm just wondering.

the crew on this forum are obviously highly inteligent.

do you have a favorite recipe that you youself prepare?

here's one of mine. simple meal for a man with simple needs.

-40 below soup & bannock

heat-up your favorite clear soup. i like chichen noodle soup.

add lots of pepper.

add egg(s) gently to soup. i prefer without the shell.

mix up bannock ingredients

- flour
    - baking powder
    - salt
    - sugar
    - vegatable shortening
    - water

-after 3 days, turn turn bannock over @ -30. 4 days @ -40, cook other side.

or you could buy shome tea bishcuitshes(same thing).

dip bannock in soup and enjoy.

Re: favorite recipe

I have a great recipe for whole wheat pancakes... Ill try and post it tonight if I can dig it up. Breakfast is by far my favorite meal to make.

I cook quite a lot. Some of the recipes I remember from when I was a kid (had to help mom), others I kinda come up with as I go, and based what's available in my pantry closet.

Here is one of my favorites. The recipe is about 1000 years old and the one below is a variation of it.

Bigos aka Hunter's Stew

• 1 medium green cabbage
      • 1 liter jar of sauerkraut
      • 1 medium can of tomato paste
      • 1/2 lbs bacon
      • 1 lbs pork
      • 1 lbs Polish kielbasa (not the one made of sawdust by Homedepot and the likes of PathMark or Food Emporium, but the real thing, found only in ethnic stores)
      • 1 large onion
      • 1 clove of fresh garlic
      • 1/4 lb of dried mushrooms (Cow Bolete or Chanterelles)
      • 4 bay leaves
      • pimento
      • salt
      • pepper

Pour boiling water over mushrooms and let them soak in it for 10 to 20 minutes.

Wash cabbage and chop very finely. Boil in a pot with a gal water until cooked and drain. Boil sauerkraut in a separate pot with 2 cups of water until cooked, drain to a clean container and save the sour water.

Wash pork meat and chop in about 1" squares or so. Heat some vegetable oil on a saucepan and fry the meat until cooked.

Cut bacon and kielbasa also in small squares (about 1/3 of the meat chunks size since they won't shrink as much). Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Fry bacon, kielbasa, onion and garlic together in a separate pan until golden brown.

Combine in a tall pot all precooked ingredients. Add tomato paste, spices, mushrooms and saved earlier sour water to taste. Some people like it sourer, or some people like it more watery, so feel free to add more fresh or sour water if needed. Mix well and leave to stew for about 1 to 3 hours until meat and cabbage are soft.

The stew can be stored in a fridge for days. As a matter of fact it is best when frozen and reheated.

Best served with fresh bread or potatoes.

And here's how it should look:
      Attached Files
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

levon's famous hot dog chili;
        this is goooooood!!!!!!!!

1 lb extra lean hamburger meat
        3 tablespoons minced onion, dry type found in spice jars
        4 tablespoons yellow mustard
        2 teaspoons sugar
        2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
        2 teaspoons chili powder
        1 cup catsup
        salt to taste
        1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
        1 teaspoon paprika
        1 teaspoon cumin
        1 teaspoon minced garlic, the wet type found in jars
        break up hamburger, put into 4 qt pan. add enough water to make a thick paste. stir til smooth. add remaining ingredients. cook on low for at least an hour, you will know when its done by the consistency, dryness. stir all the time you are cooking.
        this is gooood!!!!!!!!!! try it!!!!!!!!

My Ribs

take 2 full racks baby back pork ribs and cut each rack in half

place racks in a large pan with the "cup" side up

pour 2 cups Cruzan Dark Rum (NOT 151!!!) over the ribs keeping some of the rum in the "cup"

liberally apply Carnival Seasoning (available in most upper mid size to large markets), McCormick California Style Garlic Powder, and fresh cracked black pepper.

cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. 8 - 24 is better.

every once and awhile i'll pour the rum marinade into a cup and reapply it to the ribs.

before cooking remove the ribs from the fridge and allow to reach room temperature.

prepare a medium hot charcoal fire. i use a Webber and local charcoal. Kingsford works if i can't get local. DON'T USE MATCHLITE

when the fire is ready place the ribs on the fire with the "cup" up. turn (with tongs) every 5-7 minutes. brush on the remaining marinade with each turning

the ribs are done in about 30-45 minutes depending upon the fire..

avoid overcooking. it dries them out and makes them tough.

i personally do not add BBQ sauce to the ribs during cooking. if a rib is really good it DOES NOT need sauce. i serve sauce on the table but avoid cooking it on the ribs.

my BBQ sauce is equal parts K.C. Masterpiece (original) & Bullseye (original), the garlic powder, black pepper, Carnival Seasoning, and a couple dashes Tabasco. i prefer the red but the green also works.

mix all ingredients into a pan, simmer for about 15 minutes (constantly stirring) and it's ready. serve hot or at room temp.

cooked this way the meat will fall off the bone. it will retain its full flavor, and is the way Ribs (IMHO) were meant to be done.

In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!