X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why-Obama

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
    Tony,
    Our country has become a group of namby pamby woossies who cannot think for themselves or even begin to take care of themselves. The powers that be in Washington have shredded our constitution, yet if someone says one thing against our government, they are labeled as "unpatriotic" and no one in the crowd of sheepizens that supposedly can think, act, react or vote, will raise a finger to defend them or the Constitution that protects their freedom of speech. We've become a classless group of "politically correct" sycophants looking for the easy way out. I pray to God we never get into a real shooting war again like what happened in 1941 because we will not have the wherewithal to take up the charge and defend ourselves as our fathers did. Unfortunately, the ban on any political discussion in this forum is a mirror image of that universal paradigm. The real patriots who were at the Boston Tea Party and the grassy knoll at Concord would roll in their graves if they even imagined a ban on speech in something as innocuous as this forum. But then again, consider the source, no?
    Jim Don
    PS -- That's why we're considering a move to Australia -- still got room?? I'll even room with the Roos. Probably brighter than a lot of what we've got here.

I don`t think you would like Australia it would feel no different than where you are now, as our governments have been stolen from us, as yours have by smart asses who couldn`t care less about democracy, as our two party systems become the same when they are elected I see it as a relay race where the party in opposition is running behind the party in government and passes the batten on and when in government just continues the policies the previous government, we have been conned by the terrorist threat that we are aways reminded of, if Bin Laden was still alive he would be laughing his head off as our freedoms are being taken one by one.
    Just one example at the airport in Melbourne where I live they have started a vuluntary approach where your have to enter an x-ray cubicle before you board a plane and this x-ray machine shows everything and I mean everything, but remember its vuluntary for now but where will this machine turn up next, at a footy match, at the pub??

Tony

Comment

Freedom of speech has always been important on this forum. Politics were banned because it was turning the forum into a war zone. I wish we could discuss em but there is always one or two folks that start trying to kill each other with words.

Sorry AFM

Josh

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      What a strange forum this is where freedom of speech is frowned upon and where one cannot voice his or her opinion on politics and politics is banned as it might offend in what is called the land of the free what a joke why don`t you practice what you preach and if not not don`t preach to others.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Freedom of speech has always been important on this forum. Politics were banned because it was turning the forum into a war zone. I wish we could discuss em but there is always one or two folks that start trying to kill each other with words.

Sorry AFM

Josh
        Well Josh we will just have to agree to disagree, our western civilizations are built on freedom of speech and I know you and and Mark have the ability to sensor the folks that try to kill each other on this forum, as Mark got me out of an embarrasing situation when I mistakenly placed a photo on this forum earlier this year by deleting it before others saw it.

Tony

Comment

A wise man once told me that our "freedoms" are generally lost to most ears, eyes, and minds.

We have freedom of religion and far too many of us have decided to be simply free from religion.

We have freedom from want, and yet most of us feel free to want everything, even though we have neither the ability pay for it, or the responsibility to take care of it.

We have freedom of speech, but we often exercise that freedom in an irresponsible manner that infringes on the freedoms of others.

In America, we have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that you don't risk getting punched in the nose or poked in the eye. Above all we must understand that we really don't have the freedom to use any of our freedoms to infringe upon the rights and freedoms of others.

Probably most senseless, IMO, is that so many of us think that our freedom of speech gives us the right to say anything, anytime, in any place without any sense of fairness, responsibility, or accuracy. That is all too often the way of "political" subjects.

Politics and religion appear to be subjects that allow us to reveal our own weakness to exercize civility. On a forum such as this, it is well within the rights of the management to channel it's membership towards something that best demonstrates their talents, experience, and social abilities.

CWS

Comment

CW, thank you, well said.

There must be other forums out there that will allow unbridled political arguments. I wish we could discuss it here. If we could all agree to dissagree without being dissagreeable, we probably could.

I don't like democratic policy or politics, but I have many many friends that are democrats. We co-exist. sometimes we argue politics but we argue policy, not personality. Because you dissagree with someone does not give license to berate him or call him names. Because a man has a different view does not make him an idiot. Above all we must remain civil to those we dissagree with. Maybe Josh will allow us to give it another try, maybe not. Maybe a separate catagory for those interested in an all out name calling brawl would be a good idea, but it would probably degenerate into a waste of time and nothing good would come of it.
            sigpic

Comment

Well said NHmaster. I think Josh said he will lift the political-talk ban after this election is over and everyone has simmered down. This site is privately run by a corporation and they have to keep it civil.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                I agree, I don't care if he's yellow, purple or aquamarine. He's an extremely smart man and thats what matters.
                Sorry, I disagree. What really matters is--what is in the mix with "extremely smart". Wisdom, impertinence, compassion, envy, humbleness, egotism (the tendency to speak or WRITE of oneself excessively and boastfully).
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Probably most senseless, IMO, is that so many of us think that our freedom of speech gives us the right to say anything, anytime, in any place without any sense of fairness, responsibility, or accuracy.
                  To paraphrase someone whose name I forgot - God gave us the freedom of thought but it is too difficult so we chose the freedom of speech instead.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius--nice signature.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      A wise man once told me that our "freedoms" are generally lost to most ears, eyes, and minds.

We have freedom of religion and far too many of us have decided to be simply free from religion.

We have freedom from want, and yet most of us feel free to want everything, even though we have neither the ability pay for it, or the responsibility to take care of it.

We have freedom of speech, but we often exercise that freedom in an irresponsible manner that infringes on the freedoms of others.

In America, we have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that you don't risk getting punched in the nose or poked in the eye. Above all we must understand that we really don't have the freedom to use any of our freedoms to infringe upon the rights and freedoms of others.

Probably most senseless, IMO, is that so many of us think that our freedom of speech gives us the right to say anything, anytime, in any place without any sense of fairness, responsibility, or accuracy. That is all too often the way of "political" subjects.

Politics and religion appear to be subjects that allow us to reveal our own weakness to exercize civility. On a forum such as this, it is well within the rights of the management to channel it's membership towards something that best demonstrates their talents, experience, and social abilities.

CWS
                      Well put. I started the thread because of the constant talk about the election and Obama being referred to as the first legitimate "black candidate" for President.

He is not black. If you think so then you have been influenced by others' bias to believe so. He's just a person. Race should not matter. Some will say that it does but maybe not.

It's just wrong that anyone states his race in advertising or news analysis.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Well put. I started the thread because of the constant talk about the election and Obama being referred to as the first legitimate "black candidate" for President.

He is not black. If you think so then you have been influenced by others' bias to believe so. He's just a person. Race should not matter. Some will say that it does but maybe not.

J.C.
                        Race and/or gender are not the only thing but they are notable and worth mentioning. What it does is it shows how far this Country has come in the last 50-years. Too many people use race and/or gender as a crutch and having Obama as close as he is to being the next President with give credibility to the fact race should not be an issue in ones life.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

J.C.

Maybe so,

but what would explain if somehow Obama "didn't win", knowing how this election is going...

What race do you think is going to take their outrage to the streets?

You already know that answer. To deny it would be a huge mistake in rational thinking on all levels.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Race and/or gender are not the only thing but they are notable and worth mentioning. What it does is it shows how far this Country has come in the last 50-years. Too many people use race and/or gender as a crutch and having Obama as close as he is to being the next President with give credibility to the fact race should not be an issue in ones life.

Mark
                            The first sentence you state I completely disagree with you.

The second part of your post-I do agree with you.

And Barack Obama is not black.

J.C.

Comment

The first sentence you state I completely disagree with you.

The second part of your post-I do agree with you.

And Barack Obama is not black.

J.C.
                              Yes but think how boring life would be if we all agreed on everything.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                                I agree, I don't care if he's yellow, purple or aquamarine. He's an extremely smart man and thats what matters.
                                Red, and yellow, black, and white, they are precious in his sight. All you need ever needed to know you learned when you were in kindergarten.

Comment

Working...
                                X