Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: for the non-believers

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I would start making some sort of Coca-Cola knockoff in my garage.
    You can't beat the real thing. :P

Well, maybe for $10 a bottle you can, but then you might as well get liquored up and make yourself some moonshine.

Edit: After thinking a bit, it seems that if you have a source of Syrup, making the soda locally would actually be a big money saver, since it is really mostly water which is heavy to ship.

Comment

What kind of industry do you have in your town that supports those prices?

cpw,

that's a complicated question. give me tonight to think about that one so i can give you a educated guess answer.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        You can't beat the real thing. :P

Well, maybe for $10 a bottle you can, but then you might as well get liquored up and make yourself some moonshine.

Edit: After thinking a bit, it seems that if you have a source of Syrup, making the soda locally would actually be a big money saver, since it is really mostly water which is heavy to ship.

they already do that in a town called iqaluit in baffin island.

we've got some of the best natural water in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          With the price of Coca-Cola, I can tell you that I can't move where you live. I would spend like $100-$150 a month on it.

If you're drinking that much Coke in a month you're killing yourself.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Looks like gas prices are starting to drop finally

I found $2.03 for Unleaded and $1.79 for Diesel yesterday......not too bad until you look a little closer

Name:  52ec03c0804ea2a1e7be12df6c2d8533.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  218.8 KB

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Looks like gas prices are starting to drop finally

I found $2.03 for Unleaded and $1.79 for Diesel yesterday......not too bad until you look a little closer

Name:  52ec03c0804ea2a1e7be12df6c2d8533.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  218.8 KB
              $2.03/Liter, that's no deal as you note

Here (NJ) regular gas has been below $3/G for the past week.

I was in Orlando area last week and most places were in the $3.40 to $3.50 range. One one morning we went by a RaceTrac gas station and they had regular at $3.14/G...the line went down the block about 100 yards.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

cpw,

it's called milking the public for everything they're worth.

mining is starting to make it's way up here. i guess we got alot more in the ground than anybody every realized.

other than that, we don't have any really strong industries. we can't get a decent price for our art work. tourism is almost non-existant, the airline tickets are too expensive to make it appealing. we more or less have been governed for the sake of soverienty.

there has been talk about extending the rail road from churchill. the mining companies will probably foot the bill for that one.

incidently, speaking of industries and mining, rankin inlet was established during the early 50's due to the korean war effort.
                the "rankin inlet nickle mine" is the reason rankin inlet exists today.

i hope that answers our question.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

cpw,

it's called milking the public for everything they're worth.

mining is starting to make it's way up here. i guess we got alot more in the ground than anybody every realized.

other than that, we don't have any really strong industries. we can't get a decent price for our art work. tourism is almost non-existant, the airline tickets are too expensive to make it appealing. we more or less have been governed for the sake of soverienty.

there has been talk about extending the rail road from churchill. the mining companies will probably foot the bill for that one.

incidently, speaking of industries and mining, rankin inlet was established during the early 50's due to the korean war effort.
                  the "rankin inlet nickle mine" is the reason rankin inlet exists today.

i hope that answers our question.
                  I've seen a few videos on YouTube of Rankin Inlet and it sure looks like one cold place. I've also read it is famous for it's art. What makes it so hard for you to sell your art? Watching the videos reminded me a little of Dillingham Alaska.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

totahonow,

we don't have the connections to the south like the people that buy the art from the artisans.

let me put things into perspective. they last of my people to move into a town off the land was in '65.

i was born in '65 so that's only() 43 years ago.

we have our moments though. check this out.

http://www.matchboxgallery.com/

jim shirley, the owner is from new york.

we've come along way, but we still have a long way to go. i've always been curious about our american counterparts.

Comment

Vince,

Very nice stuff at the gallery. I have always enjoyed and been amazed by Inuit Art. My exposure to Canada is somewhat limited as I have only spent time in Alberta which might as well be in the US as I saw few differences from areas I have visited in the US. I have spent some time in a Native Corporation in Alaska though and was impressed by the people there. It's a small village named Koliganek which has under 200-people (mostly Yupik) but they had a true love for life. One of the men owned a barge and would run supplies up the Mulchatna River. I had a friend who owned a base came about 60-miles north so I hired the guy to transport myself and one of my sons to my friends base camp. The guy asked us to donate whatever extra meat we had after our hunt which ended up in a long time friendship. Sadly two years ago while using a snow machine on the river he went through thin ice and disappeared. He was a real asset to people along the river and I know he is missed. I could not live such a harsh life but I respect the heck out of those like yourself who can.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                      X