X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not a Plumbing Comic Strip?

Most people associate plumbing as a negative like taking a trip to the dentist. I want to change that so I'm thinking about starting a humourous comic strip poking fun at the plumbing industry

Most people (present company excluded) won't find reading about what stopped up their toilet as comical but it won't be focused on poo. More on the social interaction of plumbers and customers. Everyday observations that tickle the funny bone.

It will start out small, maybe a few frames in a blog somewhere to develop charactors. Some of which will be based on people I've met here. Then I hope to begin animation into a short cartoon feature. You only need to turn on the Fox network to see whats been done with The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad all big primetime hits.

There is a never ending supply of material and you all could help write it

I took a stab at creating a animated cartoon for the Roundup video contest. It had nothing to do with building my Ridgid Reputation but had a pretty funny story line. It starred PlumberRick who was wearing a red cape and Aaron91 as The Boy Wonder.

Spent 10 hours making a 5 second movie and gave up when the eye ointment ran out. Huge learning curve when starting out with animation software. Besides I have zero graphic skills. Taking a 2D object and morphing it into a 3D was overwhelming for my pea sized brain.

Maybe Ridgid could sponsor a pilot series Might be a way to get the Ridgid name out there into places it hasn't been before. Look at how much business The Acme Distributing Company got from free advertising with Wile E. Coyote

Have I gone off the deep end?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM.

Re: Why Not a Plumbing Comic Strip?

crack, when you first came here with your video links, you were already off the deep end.

then you showed up in person and we confirmed it when you ate my cherry

nothing will surprise me now.

i'll have my agent call you to work out the details

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I think the idea will work, keep it alive and it will be cherished...plumbers will look forward to the weekly/monthly strips if you can keep it going.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hey I have a buddy who may be able to help. He's done everything from creating to writing, directing and producing some of the biggest comic book based cartoons of all times. His projects include:

Batman, Spider-man, Dargonlance, Sub Zero, GI Joe, Starchaser, Mr. T, The Incredible Hulk, My Little Pony, X-Men and on and on and on. He also was the guy who designed all of the art work for our plumbing business. This guy just drips artistic talent and comics is where his heart is.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

crack, i have the story line for the first strip

plumber rick, the roller blading plumber.

i'm on a roll now

rick.

Attached Files
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            crack, i have the story line for the first strip

plumber rick, the roller blading plumber.

i'm on a roll now

rick.

Rick, are these photos of the famed but secretive plumbing cave where you stash all your plumbing booty?

The red in your eyes is the same color as that 36 in the second photo. You must live and breathe RIDGID.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bob, this is my gal and copper aisle. i use skates while i'm at the shop to cover some ground.

joey likes to throw some washers and nuts on the ground to slow me down

maybe, i'll post some others for the comic strip

live, breath and eat ridgid red.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Wow, I nominate the thread and it wins!

Those pics look like a ferguson to me.

What's crazy is you go up here to any ferguson in my area and those bins are darn near empty, barely keeping the mininum in inventory.

That place looks like heaven to me. Would love to just have my stuff organized at my shop like that.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I like the plumber rick shirt. Did you get the shirt before or after the forum?

Comment

joey surprised me 1 day when i had called her about a segment on "flip this house"

i was recommended to install some shut off valves to isolate the unit under renovation from the rest.

i installed some propress valves and spoke of the process while they filmed it.

she had this shirt made for me and i wore it the next day for the show

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

if you keep the story lines or jokes to the plumbing trade probly will work, as plumbers have apparently a unique sense of humor any way since they work in $hit and goo on a regular basic, but if it would be placed in main stream audience the humor may not take as it would probly be regarded as "bathroom humor", and many people find the subject distasteful alone the working on it or the smell as totally objectionable, (yes many of those who work about the stuff find it objectionable as well but tolerably),

so I think one would either need to target there audience or tame the messages on may that one may find totally hilarious,

such as when I was working in the wast treatment plant and my supervisor and I were working on this sludge return pump, and the impeller was lose on the base of the pump, but at that time we had not concluded the problem, and all we really knew was the motor was running and the sludge was not being pumped, any way he removed the inspection cover on a check valve and the freshly pumped sludge (not that it was enough to reach the out let of the pipe but jsut enough to stir it up good), the sludge shot back and jsut covered his face, Kinda looked like an African his eyes and teeth, was the only thing left white. and he responded with a smile "it teaches one not to lick there lips".
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	e4babccf9cbd1bf81b2d62abf7aa61d4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	4545

Rick, if this ever becomes a financial endeavor for me, I'm going to make millions off your likeness
                        I spoke to your agent yesterday and the offer of a 20% was rejected by my shareholders. We are still in negotiations.

"it teaches one not to lick there lips"
                        I like that BHD
                        Can I use it?

Comment

you can if you want,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Acme Plumbing
                            Dealin' with your crap on a daily basis

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	e4babccf9cbd1bf81b2d62abf7aa61d4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	4545

I spoke to your agent yesterday and the offer of a 20% was rejected by my shareholders. We are still in negotiations.

No deal, then you need to change the names of your characters Quick, take the offer before it goes up to 30%
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X