X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thing?

Can anyone tell me what this is or what it's used for? I know, but I want to find out if anyone else knows what this is. I can think of more than just one use for it, but it was made for doing one special job.
    Attached Files

Re: What is this thing?

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    Can anyone tell me what this is or what it's used for? I know, but I want to find out if anyone else knows what this is. I can think of more than just one use for it, but it was made for doing one special job.
    I should be asleep, but he we go.

From the picture it is obvious that you insert something, and the lever/gearing action will cut it off. The question of course is what. The clue is "James Scully Pomeroy PA."

From Google, I am guessing it is for cutting off cattle horns, because there is an ebay auction for a "OLD 1897 JAMES SCULLY CATTLE DEHORNER TOOL POMEROY PA", that doesn't look like this one, but given that James Scully made some Cattle Dehorning tools in Pomeroy PA, it seems like a good guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-1897-JAMES-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

CPW

You got it. It's for cutting horns off cows and bulls.

I need more ZZZs myself. I should have thought to not show the brand or where it was made.

Comment

I keep one in my truck for dealing with pedophiles.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          I keep one in my truck for dealing with pedophiles.

I've always found the geatein(spelling??? device that drops blade from tower and chops off head) to be my weapon of choice,
          just kidding, but really
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

CPW
            Since you got it right on and quickly, how about keeping the thread going and post something you want us to figure out what it is? The first person to correctly figure out what the item is that CPW asks to identify can post something for us to figure out.

If anyone really does need help with something, I would say feel free to ask here.

================================================== ================================================== ==
            While CPW comes up with something I'll post this little item and let's see if anyone can figure out what it is and what it's used for. Please see picture and look it over well. I'll give you a hint. The leaves are bent for a good and special reason.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Woussko; 10-16-2008, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Too easy Woussko...its a feeler gauge for measuring the gap on a spark plug.........I have no pic to show now, sorry
              The Other Rick

Comment

The first item was Lorena Bobbitt's new and improved tool for "how to deal with your overly frisky boyfriend."

The second looks like a set of spark plug feeler guages
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder how many of the younger guys would recognize a timing light? Tools that were commonly used became extinct as advancements were made. I'm sure some of these things are still used but I have not needed one for a very long time. My 1990 Nissan Maxima has the same spark plugs that were in it when I bought the car thirteen years ago! Always starts, idles smoothly and has great power. So reliable it's almost boring, very different from the good old days.

Comment

Anyone ever use those "Feeler Gauges" to adjust the tappets on solid lifters?
                    Ah, the good old days!

Comment

Please try again as item #2 is not a spark plug gap gauge.

Frankiarmz has it correct this time. It is a feeler gauge for adjusting valve tappets. Today's small overhead valve air cooled gasoline engines need to have this adjustment done to them now and then. With automotive engines using hydraulic valve lifters you don't need to do manual adjustments. Have any of you worked on antique auto or farm machinery engines?

OK It's not CPW's turn and then Frank's turn to stump us. In the mean time I'll think of something good to try.

I wonder how many people on here have heard of or ever used a DWELL meter to set breaker points.
                      Picture below is a spark plug gap gauge. Please see the steel wires of given diameters.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Woussko; 10-16-2008, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Please try again as item #2 is not a spark plug gap gauge.

Frankiarmz has it correct this time. It is a feeler gauge for adjusting valve tappets. Today's small overhead valve air cooled gasoline engines need to have this adjustment done to them now and then. With automotive engines using hydraulic valve lifters you don't need to do manual adjustments. Have any of you worked on antique auto or farm machinery engines?

OK It's not CPW's turn and then Frank's turn to stump us. In the mean time I'll think of something good to try.

I wonder how many people on here have heard of or ever used a DWELL meter to set breaker points.
                        Picture below is a spark plug gap gauge. Please see the steel wires of given diameters.
                        We are showing our age. As a fleet mechanic we had no diagnostic tools. Points were set with a match book and idle was done by ear. We adjusted timing by advancing the distributer until it missed under load , then backed it off a bit. I did use a dwell meter and timing light off the job. No power tools either, or pickle fork or gear puller. To break free a tie rod end or steering wheel you would loosen the nut and whack with a big hammer. Disgraceful caveman stuff, but that's how they wanted us to work.

Comment

Yes we aren't little pups anymore. As for using a hammer for everything, I would have given your boss a few good blows on his head. Think of the damages the hammer caused.

CPW ... Oh, CPW ... It's your turn now.

Comment

AHH the good ol days, every three weeks I'd pull my valve covers and do an adjustment when my engine was cold. I remember marking my harmonic balancer with nail polish so I could rotate it to be able to see what intake and exhaust valves I could do at the same time. I do miss going zero to sixty in 2.8 seconds.

Comment

Have any of y'all ever seen one of these used? I have, and I've never seen so much blood squirt all over the place! There's some serious veins in those suckers!

I have a big case mounted tach/dwell meter in my garage. I use it on the MG. It was old when my grandfather got it for the old Ford tractor.
                              Steve
                              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                              X