X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Gauge 3 Wire Extension Cable

I am looking for a Ridgid 8 gauge 3 wire extension cable. The local Home Depot has 10 gauge at 50' & 100', but not the 8 gauge. I recall buying the 8 gauge version at a Home Depot. Where can I order this via internet. Since these things are pretty heavy, I would like to order at Home Depot without paying for shipping. Is this possible?

Re: 8 Gauge 3 Wire Extension Cable

An 8-3 extension cord is getting heavy. Normally I think you would be better off to go to a good electric supply house and purchase 8-3 type SOW and also the needed plug and female connector based on your needs. I've never seen RIDGID brand extension cords heavier than 12-3. Sometimes you'll see 10-3 by Woods at bigger Home Depot or Lowes locations.

If you don't mind can you post more info like how long you want it and what it will be used for? Current draw?

Are you by any chance looking for the special connecting cord for use with a portable generator and a power inlet connected to a transfer switching device? If for 120/240 Volts then you'll need 4 conductors. Example: 8-4 type SOW or SOOW

Comment

Try this site: <http://www.campingworld.com/category/electrical-cords/56>

Comment

i have temporary construction power cords with 50 amp twist locks. these are 3- #6 and 1 #8 ground.

they fit temporary power boxes and are both 50' and 100' long. the ends are useless unless you have a temp power box that will take them to 20 amp twistlock 120 volt or 30 amp 240 volt.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I am purchasing a metal CNC machine found at industrialhobbies.com. Normally, a 10 gauge cord connected to the 220V dryer plug would do. But the entire length of the cord will be about 30' - 50' long and was advised that I should move upto 8 gauge to reduce the resistance and noise. You can actually hire the resistance noise of the power cord. Well, I will consider the 10 gauge, but prefer the 8 gauge.

How about if I buy from Home Depot the 8/3 (8 gauge with 3 wires) from the spool charged by per foot. I just need to make sure it is suitable for outdoors use so that it is well insulated from moisture/rain/etc. This would probably be cheaper. Also, I don't think there is any danger using the 10 gauge stuff anyway.
          Last edited by georgebarr; 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgebarr View Post
            I am purchasing a metal CNC machine found at industrialhobbies.com. Normally, a 10 gauge cord connected to the 220V dryer plug would do. But the entire length of the cord will be about 30' - 50' long and was advised that I should move upto 8 gauge to reduce the resistance and noise. You can actually hire the resistance noise of the power cord. Well, I will consider the 10 gauge, but prefer the 8 gauge.

How about if I buy from Home Depot the 8/3 (8 gauge with 3 wires) from the spool charged by per foot. I just need to make sure it is suitable for outdoors use so that it is well insulated from moisture/rain/etc. This would probably be cheaper. Also, I don't think there is any danger using the 10 gauge stuff anyway.
            That is what Woussko suggested in the 8-3 SOW cord. IIRC SOW is Severe service, Oil and Water resistant. Could also use SOJ cord.

Why not install an outlet closer to the machine location using
            #8 wire that is fed through a disconnect on the wall? Then you can use a short length of #10 or the machines original power cord if it came with one.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X