X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Living

I've heard that in an effort to reduce health care costs Americans should join gyms, exercise more and eat healthy foods. Looking around I see more and more gyms opening up and yet I wonder if we as a people are getting fit? I exercise regularly but I sometimes wonder if it's all worth it? I think it's best to just do things in moderation and enjoy life. Sure exercise has been proven to be good for you, but relaxing with an occassional drink or two and a smoke might do the body good as well. So what do you guys think, do you enjoy a bit of variety or do you think it has to be all healthy living or none at all?

Re: Healthy Living

Its all about moderation. There is definite value in living a healthy lifestyle. Look at your typical American now. Most people dont know what healthy is anymore. Just for fun look at charts on recommended weight and daily caloric intake. The new skinny is the old obese.

I still enjoy "junk" food every once in a while but in general try to eat nutritious food that wont kill me in the long run. If you eat junk every day your going to pay the price. Modern drugs have come a long way and can keep a lot of folks "healthy" enough to get by regardless of what you eat or do for exercise.

All kinds of diseases have been linked to obesity and poor diet in general. For me its worth trying to stay healthy. Good for your physical and metal health all around.

Ok... off my soapbox.

Josh

Comment

Healthy living only puts off the inevitable. Eventually we all get sick and die.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

since my bypass I've on the birdfood diet. You get used to it and truth be told I feel better than I did 20 years ago. Still miss ribs though
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          since my bypass I've on the birdfood diet. You get used to it and truth be told I feel better than I did 20 years ago. Still miss ribs though
          I'm glad you feel well and are sticking to the healthier diet. My reason for this Thread was to ask if folks thought they needed to go full tilt healthy eating and exercise or if they could just live in moderation. I don't want to give up all the goodies but I do exercise. I remember watching a tv program on grill'in and the host asked the fellow if eating all those ribs and other grilled meats was healthy, he smiled and replied that he and his buddies all had quadruple bypass surgery. I guess the trick is to really go easy on the bad stuff ?

Comment

Don't blame the ribs. Humans are carnivores. It's the food industry that is killing us. The fillers, chemicals and hydrogenated oils that make food cheaper to make and ship are the problem.
            What you need to do is buy WHOLE foods. What I mean by that is go to your farmer's market and buy vegetables and fruits and a side of beef. A year of that and you'll feel like you're 18 again.
            Everything you eat should still look the way it did when it came out of the ground or the tree or the steer.
            Challenge yourself and don't eat anything that has any ingredient that you can't pronounce.

Comment

I don't exercise that much, ok, at all. Honestly I work pretty hard all day going in and out of crawl spaces and attics, carrying drain cables up and down hills, digging holes, and a whole lot of walking so when I get home the last thing I want to do is work out. I do monitor what I eat and try not to eat fast food more than once a week. So far I am doing pretty good!

I enjoy being home with my family, reading and learning something new.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                I don't exercise that much, ok, at all. Honestly I work pretty hard all day going in and out of crawl spaces and attics, carrying drain cables up and down hills, digging holes, and a whole lot of walking so when I get home the last thing I want to do is work out. I do monitor what I eat and try not to eat fast food more than once a week. So far I am doing pretty good!

There was a time years ago when I worked a heavy job and would have argued that exercise and hard work were not the same, now I think differently. I feel if you are moving around and doing something physical during the day, structured exercise might not be nearly as good for the body and soul as what you are doing . I admire you for being home with your family and continuing to grow and learn. I hope you get to enjoy that lifestyle for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

Same here, I used to exercise more and I have a nice free-weight gym in my basement. But lately I just get WORN OUT at work! Its plenty of exercise lugging around cable machines, toilets and water heaters all day!

Now I mainly just try to watch my diet, which is a daily battle.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

hello down there. it's me up here.

i've kicked most of the processed food thing but to be honest it's everywhere. and i do feel alot better.

my people in the old days where the ultimate meat eaters. up here we have berries. that's it for edible vegatation.

believe it or not, the eyeballs of all the animals we eat were always given to the children because they are very nutritious. apparently high in protein.

i guess sometime a couple thousand years ago one of my inuk ancestor dudes ate some polar bear liver and dropped dead. so we don't eat that. apparently a severe overdose of one of the vitamins.

i've got a story for you. i'll call it, fresher than fresh

1980 is when i moved to rankin inlet from winnipeg.

my first summer here my friend mark brought me to a river about 3 - 4 hours from rankin by atv. three wheelers back in those days. diane river is fairly big for around here and many locals go there to fish for arctic char during our short summer.

when we got there, mark's brother and another fella were out in a canoe doing what we call "rodding".

the wives were on the shore motioning to their husbands to bring in some fish. they came ashore with what i would say about a dozen arctic char anywhere from 5-8lbs.

i have to set the scene here a little bit. i'm a greenhorn kid from the south. although i've lived in the north back in the 60's and 70's. coral harbour and chesterfield inlet. my mother was born in a igloo in '38 at cape dorset on baffin island, so my mother was as close to being inuk as you could get. i've seen my mother eat the eyeballs, the frozen raw arctic char (which i enjoy today), frozen raw caribou (which i also enjoy) with a sprinkle of salt. hhhhmmmm. so "i" think i've seen everything.

now, there's me watching a bunch of women just excited about these fresh fish. they already had the plywood cutting board covered with cardboard ready. the knives are sharp and there whole bunch of fresh fish.

2 fresh fish on the cutting board feeds 4 women at the same time. they start cutting the fresh fish from the tail up.

i'm thinking, "okay, thats cool. i've seen my mom eat raw fish before. i'm gonna keep it together. i'm not gonna lose it."

they get halfway up this fresh fish when it wakes up!!!

i lose it!

i couldn't help but yell out, "it's still alive!!"

the women looked at me and laughed. they simply cracked the fish over the head and continued chow'in down, still giggling about my reaction.

now that's what i call,

fresher than fresh.

p.s. it's an aquired taste which i never really aquired.

Comment

If you are in a somewhat physically active occupation like plumbing, exercise isn't nearly as important as diet. Pack your lunch, and stay away from the drive thrus. Not only will you save alot of money, but your health will improve dramatically. Salt and fat are the two things to avoid, and processed carbs. I lost 30 lbs this year by cutting out sweets, pasta, and fatty meats and most of the salt. 5 small meals a day instead of snacks. High protein and unprocessed carbs (potatos and rice, high fiber whole grain bread occasionally, lots of fresh veggies, and egg beaters. I drink a lot of coffee, so I switch to decaf after my first 2 cups. I feel much better and have a lot less body aches than I used to. I cook a bunch of a variety of meats once or twice a week, and use them to pack my lunch. I snack on sliced beef or chicken and a part of a baked potato instead of the vending machine junk. Now that I have lost the weight, I eat noodles and pasta occasionally but in much smaller portions. My cholesterol is under 200 for the first time in years, and my blood pressure is down from 135-140/85 to 120/75. That is how to do it without eating lots of bland tasteless stuff.

Comment

MMMM, I love raw fish, can't beat it.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by

[SIZE=7
                          fresher than fresh.[/SIZE]

p.s. it's an aquired taste which i never really aquired.
                          Dude.....

Arctic sushi!!
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

My mother was as healthy as healthy gets until cancer ravaged her body.

She was polar opposite of how I eat.

I truly believe the products used to promote healthy are undetected dangers that no one can put a finger on since half the words you can't spell or say correctly.

"Healthy" food usually costs a great deal more and is less filling by all stretches of the meaning.

The product of produce, fruits and vegetables you see on the shelf reminds of major league baseball to a tee.

Pumped up to be something they were never intended to grow in size, perfection.

I've seen grapes that give competition to apples in size. No way chemicals "didn't" have a part in that growing process.

Does anyone know what accelerated fruits and vegetables contain? Distorted DNA that you consume, a chemical was placed on it to keep it from being eaten by an insect, it was handled by unclean hands, numerous times.

Still tastes good though

I'm seeing fruits and vegetables that are so perfect, it scares me.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

One of my best friends works as a doctors assistant at UNC-Chapel Hill. He basically told me that each of us has a genetic death code. You are going to die of old age, heart disease, diabetes, or something else that is predestined. You may be able to prolong/fight it some but the amount is unpredictable.

So don't worry too much and eat & drink something a little crazy once in awhile.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X