X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I humbly suggest...

Now that some of the venom has *ahem* removed itself from this forum, I humbly suggest that we try again as far as the political postings go. I know I have gotten overheated myself a few times, but so much is going on in the world and I'd love to get the REAL plumbers perspective on some topics.

Now as an elitist , I will nobly attempt to keep my demeanor becoming of a scholarly gentleman in all exchanges. I think most on here are adult enough and have learned their lesson when dealing with the less adult to keep things civil.

There are a lot of folks I respect a great deal on here who I know have different leanings than I do who I really think I can learn a thing or two from. Pulling me closer to center wouldn't be such a bad thing.

If not, I'd understand. It has felt pretty sterile around here lately but at least not hostile and ugly. It is a tool forum but I miss the feeling of community I used to feel when we got a bit more personal.

Give us another chance is my vote. Though I am Canadian so my vote may not count!

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: I humbly suggest...

eli, i agree with you but truthfully for the best interest of the forum, i feel that a "ridgidchat" would be a better location.

this would allow the ones at a predetermined time to chat about it and not create an everlasting thread.

the chat rooms haven't been used for a long time. this might be a good opportunity to kick start this feature.

personally, politics interest me, but not on a plumbing/ tool forum.

see if this will fly and post a time that will work for both est. and pst. we found that 9est/ 6pst worked in the past

right, wrong

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Politics was never the problem in the first place. I have had very polite, serious, political debate with ToUtahNow in another forum and we are good friends. He's a conservative, I am a moderate with some liberal leanings. We don't see everything eye to eye, but we get along and discuss politics civilly. That goes for MOST members here also. I believe it was only one member who was incapable of discussing things politely. And now he's gone.

Anyway, its ultimately Josh's call.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm gonna agree with Rick on this one, and here's why.

Chat would be the place because then you can get a feel for the discussion, you're more in control as to when you enter and exit, and you can pick and choose who to further the discussion with.

Not to sound like a snob or anything, but not having to see political drivel for the last month or more has kinda been a relief.

Plus, the forum has gotten back to the friendly, informative place it was a year ago when I joined. Up until the ban was in place, I thought I was looking at a CNN blog page at times - there was 5 or 10 threads going at once. And ANY opinion went. Got pretty wince-worthy/shake-yer-head-in-disbelief-worthy as well.

No forum political discussion doesn't discriminate - it keeps out the wrongs AND the rights.

As stickers mentioned, the venom will inevitably move on and the civil political discusser-types will find a common meeting place(chat room) to discuss all things non-plumbing/home improvement/etc. related.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Eli, I hope you get what you are asking for but as for myself I am going to keep away from such discussions. Reasonable, even tempered adults should not have a problem expressing and exchanging their political beliefs but I would not want to see history repeat itself here. The political and economic climate in our country is extremely fragile and I'm sure there are more folks who are on the verge of losing it due to recent events. I am more convinced than ever that regardless of who wins this election we are in for a long and difficult recovery. I sincerely think we need to pull together and find a common ground instead of beating eachother up. I am very concerned for working people and business owners as consumers cut back on their spending. At the risk of sounding strange, I think we need to pray and have those prayers answered. Take care.

Comment

I find that extremely ironic Frankiearmz to see you make such a bold statement because less than 24 hours ago I watched with my own eyes seeing you amp up the one liners against Masterplumb.

Matter of fact, if you would of remained out of the discussion, it wouldn't of led to what it did. I defend noone for unkind behavior on a forum. I had insight to the volatility being an advisor to another site.

I believe Mark and I were the only ones truly watching that all unfold, and you took the bait on a jab and kept adding fuel to the fire. Screenshots of that would have you silenced pretty quick.

It's important he's gone, you played him and worked to your advantage. Got no qualms that some people get really angry and act out. But if you're not going to have a set of balls and own up to your participation of what was going on last night,

do your family a favor and at least be respected in your own home. You certainly do not exemplify the same standard here.

I third the motion on people using the chat feature. This is just another politics thread just like the Why-Obama thread and it's skirting politics just to see what can be gotten away with. Talking about the color of the skin of a presidential candidate sets the tone to all it's own. Apparently it's important otherwise it wouldn't of been mentioned.

Anyone I anger with this posting, don't expect a response from me; I won't entertain it like others showed in weakness.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              I find that extremely ironic Frankiearmz to see you make such a bold statement because less than 24 hours ago I watched with my own eyes seeing you amp up the one liners against Masterplumb.

Matter of fact, if you would of remained out of the discussion, it wouldn't of led to what it did. I defend noone for unkind behavior on a forum. I had insight to the volatility being an advisor to another site.

I believe Mark and I were the only ones truly watching that all unfold, and you took the bait on a jab and kept adding fuel to the fire. Screenshots of that would have you silenced pretty quick.

It's important he's gone, you played him and worked to your advantage. Got no qualms that some people get really angry and act out. But if you're not going to have a set of balls and own up to your participation of what was going on last night,

do your family a favor and at least be respected in your own home. You certainly do not exemplify the same standard here.

I third the motion on people using the chat feature. This is just another politics thread just like the Why-Obama thread and it's skirting politics just to see what can be gotten away with. Talking about the color of the skin of a presidential candidate sets the tone to all it's own. Apparently it's important otherwise it wouldn't of been mentioned.

Anyone I anger with this posting, don't expect a response from me; I won't entertain it like others showed in weakness.

Okay! I don't think I skirted anything, came right out and said I thought we should lift the ban, but everybody has a good point and there seems to be a consensus. Maybe I'll catch up with everyone in the chat room one of these nights.

I didn't see what led to the ban of masterplumb, but he resigned up and wrote a whiny hate letter with keyboard warrior threats and really bad big boy words to all the folks who pissed him off while he was here, including me when I haven't had a word with him in many weeks. Didn't bother me, kinda like a 5 year old calling you a poopy head--you can't get mad that they act out at their mental capacity, but just thought you should know who you are defending Dunbar.

Eli

Comment

Still too soon

Comment

I'm not angered by your post but I was angered when masterplumb posted my last name on this Forum after we had a back and forth. He was not suspeneded for that action and rather than apologize, he started talking crap again as if he did nothing wrong. You are right that I antogonized him, by responding the night he crossed the line and felt it necessary to post my name. He and I also had a heated back and forth regarding Unions of which I passionately support. I have a "Set Of Balls" and when I screw up I admit my mistakes. I do this with my own family including my children because I want them to know I'm not perfect, no one is so it is proper to say you are sorry when you screw up. Getting back to masterplumb, the night he posted my name he started off by suggesting I take my medication. That was funny enough, he even posted a picture of some antidepressant . I responded that he should do the same and that's when he lost it. Did I cross the line? I don't know because I did not start that whole line of jabs. You have decided that I had no right to be a part of that entire Thread, why? Was it alright for masterplumb to be the board bully and did you expect me to just clam up? Are you upset because you agree with his politics or behavior. We don't know eachother and never will, but I'm not a trouble maker or a bully. I do defend my belief in Unions and my right to express my political views. If that upsets you then you should not have read my posts or done something to stop the Threads. I felt I was not out of line to post those "one liners" because he was acting innocent and that was not truthful. What kind of man sits back quietly while another wrongs him and then lies about it? Yes Dunbar, I took the bait alright just don't forget who was fishing! You don't want to respond because it shows weakness, fine your choice. So now I'm weak to defend
                  myself and point out improper actions by someone else, not everyone shares your opinion. I'm weak for this post as well and maybe it too will be removed? I feel if you are not open minded enough to read anyother person's political thoughts then you really don't believe in Freedom Of Speech, or an open Forum for such discussions. I won't be discussing politics here anymore even if it is allowed. I also won't be discussing Unions. I hope this helps you and others find me more tolerable. I did not post here with the intent of causing problems, but I do admit my participation with masterplumb got out of hand. The night he posted my last name I really was prepared for a violent incident at my home. I didn't know how far he would go and I was concerned for my family and myself. Can you appreciate my upset at all?

Comment

Eli,

I actually agree with you. Even if not now, but if we can discuss it a few weeks after the election I would be happy. I like forums better than chat, because it is easier to have a well reasoned in-depth back and forth (also chat doesn't work on my computer).

Charles

Comment

The Why-Obama thread never should have gotten past the first posting.

It's just really bad and really unnecessary.

How bout a nice flat rate versus hourly pricing thread.......
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

For what it is worth I received several PMs and phone calls regarding Frank's one liners. I sent Frank a PM asking him to put an end to it so we could all move on. However, by the time Frank received my PM asking him to stop masterplumb had already flooded the site with an inappropriate cut-n-paste. I am sorry for the site to lose his knowledge but he forced it to happen.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is not the first board I have been on that has had to kick masterplumb off for doing stuff like this.

Comment

Eli, I now believe I would rather live in blissful ignorance of everyone else's political leanings.
                            By the way, I found the use of the word "sterile" with anything connected to plumbing to be somewhat amusing .

Let me live in my fantasy land that everyone I like to interact with on this forum share the same core values as me.

And besides, I think you just want to tear someone's argument apart with your witty ripostes.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              Eli, I now believe I would rather live in blissful ignorance of everyone else's political leanings.
                              By the way, I found the use of the word "sterile" with anything connected to plumbing to be somewhat amusing .

Let me live in my fantasy land that everyone I like to interact with on this forum share the same core values as me.

And besides, I think you just want to tear someone's argument apart with your witty ripostes.
                              I feel you on that. I guess my sorrow is really that the politicians have absolutely succeeded in their mission to divide us to the point that even working class folks, who probably really do share core values where the rubber hits the road, are so set against each other that we can't even talk about what they are doing to us without fighting each other. It keeps us from protecting ourselves from them. Divide and conquer in it's purest and most efficient form.

They have us right where they want us and are pillaging at will. All of them. Probably will until we bring back the guillotine instead of special prosecutors.

Eli

Comment

Working...
                              X