What is this item?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is this item?

The first one is definitely a screw thread micrometer. Typically they use interchangeable anvils (the tips) for different thread pitch ranges. They are for cutting threads on a lathe to measure the pitch diameter of the groove, as this is the only true way to get an accurate read on the groove depth. The way most machinists do it is with thread wires, and standard micrometers, and then look up their results in a table or calculate using a formula, as having thread mikes and anvils for all common sizes of threads is expensive. Most of the time, when you make a thread on the lathe, you try and get ahold of the mating female thread and just cut it to fit by feel.

Comment

JTROANOKE

You totally nailed it. Good job

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        JTROANOKE

You totally nailed it. Good job
        Notice my occupation! I actually know how to use them and read them (as well as how to cut threads on the lathe)! Contrary to what some might believe, they are not a precision C-clamp!! Even though I have rarely had the need to, as all I own are dial types, I do know how to read vernier calipers as well. All the engineers in my design group, except for me, use digital measuring instruments. They come get me when their batteries die

Comment

"They come get me when their batteries die"

That's just sad.

All the jr engineers at work are amazed I can do math in my head, as most people my age can. w/o a calculator they are helpless.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I thought it was a Guantanamo truth extractor.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I do no have a thread mic, but have a number of others up to 6 inches and have other calipers up to 24" most all vernier some of the calipers are of the dial type, no batteries included, even have some hole mics. I bought my first micrometer when I was in High School and still have it.

when I cut threads I usually just use a nut or measure the out side of pre cut and match it, most of the things I do are not needing that measure of precision, and there are only so many things one can afford when it is not you every day job, so some of the specialty tools are on the dream list,

I should find the pictures of my old lath and post some "what is" it pictures, it will swing over 24" and has between centers 7 foot, but is over 125 years old. and the serial number on the bed is #2, I found a nearly identical picture of it in a book done on machinery by the census office back in, 1880.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

Please do post pictures and some info on your lathe.

Comment

It's an ear piercing tool for masochists.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

This is very handy.
                    Attached Files
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      This is very handy.

it's a channelocks oil filter pliers, but comes in handy to remove n.h. blind plugs

rick
                      phoebe it is

Comment

You're right, it is, but it was sold as "slip joint nut pliers" and boy does it come in handy when you can only turn about a 1/2" before you hit the disposer or wall.

Comment

For what this is worth oil filter pliers come in more than one size.
                          Besides Channellock it may be worth checking out what Cal-Van, K-D
                          and Lisle depending on the job you need to get done.

http://www.channellock.com/acb/store..._Pliers_C5.cfm

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/CalVa...ive/CAL302.htm

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category--A...--CAL291.shtml

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/Lisle...g/LIS50950.htm

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Au...?per=15&page=2

Last edited by Woussko; 10-26-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Now here is something that will get some of you thinking. I bet most of you can tell me more of less what this is, but I want model and type/series numbers if you can figure them out. By the way this picture was taken of the front of this item using a flatbed scanner with it resting on the glass. I don't own a digital camera yet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Woussko; 10-27-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              Now here is something that will get some of you thinking. I bet most of you can tell me more of less what this is, but I want model and type/series numbers if you can figure them out. By the way this picture was taken of the front of this item using a flatbed scanner with it resting on the glass. I don't own a digital camera yet.
                              Okay, Woussko, I've got to give you a smack here.

You have just about every little do-dad and gizmo I know of, and many more that I don't have any idea about (yes, I know that this one is an old Simpson electric multi-meter, but other than that, sorry). And yet, with all of this, and all of your knowledge, and resourcefulness, and ability to sort out a bargain.....you still don't have a freakin' digital camera??!?!?!

Come on bud. Maybe we should all start a little collection for Woussko. Maybe have a hotdog BBQ day to raise money for a digital camera?!

Comment

well it is model 260, not because I know that but because it is on the front of it at the bottom, the series I not finding, guessing a 1, or 2, or 3, I found a picture of a 4 and 6 by guess is it is older than that,
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Simpson-...25101002r36458
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X