What is this item?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is this item?

You're getting warm about the old Simpson 260. Please keep working and you'll soon figure it out.

Now as for my getting a digital camera, I could go out right now and buy a fancy dancy high end Canon or Nikon DSLR and lenses for it and blow my money. Question: Would all of you really want to read my ranting and fuming in anger when I find that I messed up and bought the wrong stuff? How about having to hear my howling and howling and more howling? I can ARRRROOOOOOOOOO to the point of blowing the roof off The Woussko Hut and shattering windows. I really prefer for that not to happen so I'm taking my time. I pickup a simple Canon PowerShot point and shoot digital camera and use that. A serious professional photographer I am NOT.

I realize that unlike a good 35mm SLR that digitals keep changing. What's great today will seem a joke in a few years. Look at our personal computers. 15 years ago I thought DOS 3.3x and a 20 MB (not GB) hard drive was grand. Today that would be a real joker.

As for Woussko getting a digital camera, well I may just wait and see what the old man in a beard with white hair, a red suit and a huge sled pulled by deer brings my way. If I can't wait that long then I need to forget about any new toys for me.

Muzzle is back on now.
    Last edited by Woussko; 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM. Reason: Little goofs

Comment

I'll be nice for once. The old Simpson 260 is a series 1. The series 1 and 2 didn't have the series info on the face like later models do. This old friend is pretty amazing in that it's quite a bit older than me and still works today. These were made the 1930s and 40s. I'm not sure of just what years. I'm sure mine was fully matured before I came into the world however. They use (2) special 3 Volt batteries that can be replaced with (2) AA cells per battery. They also use (1) C cell. The jacks are the old phone pin type and not the more popular (today) banana type.

OK, It's time I take a rest and let someone else post. I howled too much already on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        I realize that unlike a good 35mm SLR that digitals keep changing. What's great today will seem a joke in a few years. Look at our personal computers. 15 years ago I thought DOS 3.3x and a 20 MB (not GB) hard drive was grand. Today that would be a real joker.
        My digital camera is 5 years old, and doesn't match the specs of a new one, but I don't think it matters in practice. It is 2 megapixel, and only has a 256MB CompactFlash card. It stores more pictures than I need, and we can print 5x7's from the web cheap and they look fine to us. The latest 5 megapixel camera is better, but for our uses; there is no reason to spend extra money on it.

If you keep worrying something better will come out, you'll never enjoy what is out now.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          My digital camera is 5 years old, and doesn't match the specs of a new one, but I don't think it matters in practice. It is 2 megapixel, and only has a 256MB CompactFlash card. It stores more pictures than I need, and we can print 5x7's from the web cheap and they look fine to us. The latest 5 megapixel camera is better, but for our uses; there is no reason to spend extra money on it.

If you keep worrying something better will come out, you'll never enjoy what is out now.
          I agree - I bought an expensive camera to get the zoom (12x) with 3.3MP about 4 years ago. Pictures look fine blown up to full screen on the monitor, and I have never printed anything bigger than 8x10 which it does great. I could replace it with a newer one but it suits my needs. The big lens zoom eliminates a lot of cropping. It has a million features and adjustments, but 98% it is left in the full auto "simple" mode. I can buy the current version of the camera with 8-10 mp for the same or less than what I paid for this one, but unless I was printing posters, I don't see the advantage. In this economy I see the advantage of 300 in the bank, instead of invested in something I don't need!

Comment

JT

That extra $300 could buy some nice tools you've had your eyes on. Think of how long good quality hand tools can last. Hmmmm ... My 70 year old+ vintage Union Tool combination square that was given to me some time ago is still serving my needs very well. The same for some of my Millers-Falls vintage tools. Buy quality, take care of them and they last a good long time.

================================================== ==========================

Come on guys and girls ... It's time to totally stump Old Woussko ... You can do it and make me think and think hard for once. ... Make me want to you and myself and then you can call me a
            Last edited by Woussko; 10-28-2008, 09:14 AM. Reason: stupid little goofs

Comment

Okay, this may be an easy one, but it was my first grab. What's this?
              Attached Files

Comment

Inside of a hard disk drive. The round part is the platters, and the skinny arm is the reader heads There are actually several platters and arms stacked!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  JT

That extra $300 could buy some nice tools you've had your eyes on. Think of how long good quality hand tools can last. Hmmmm ... My 70 year old+ vintage Union Tool combination square that was given to me some time ago is still serving my needs very well. The same for some of my Millers-Falls vintage tools. Buy quality, take care of them and they last a good long time.
                  Three hundred dollars wouldn't even begin to cover the tools I have had my eyes on! Back in my machining days, I paid $55 for a 2 foot scale (ruler to the uninitiated) and didn't think twice. These days, I use my tools so infrequently that I buy low to mid grade, depending upon expected frequency of use. I would love to buy the best on everything I buy, so someday my son could inherit all of them, but my lotto ticket hasn't hit yet!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                    Inside of a hard disk drive. The round part is the platters, and the skinny arm is the reader heads There are actually several platters and arms stacked!
                    Tou-che. Good call JTRoanoke. I was figuring that CPW or one of the other IT guys on here would beat you to it, since they deal with that stuff on a day-to-day basis. Mr.-I-don't-want-to-get-a-digital-camera also guessed it in a PM! Just teasing, Woussko. (Even I don't have a digital camera. It's my wife's!)

Okay, smartie pants, what's this....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by canucksartech; 10-29-2008, 03:49 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

My guess is a small precision vise, used to hold small parts while soldering, or otherwise working on them! Am I close? I am sure there is a name for it.

Or it is a real high tech church key (bottle opener)!

Comment

How about a Duck Billed Platypus only your's is an iron one?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Close on the first one - but not for soldering. It's a pretty sure bet that it's a clamp or vise of some nature.

No, Woussko.

Comment

sheet/panel carrier/ handle/ gripper,
                            Last edited by BHD; 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I think BHD has the right idea.

Comment

used for carrying sheets of glass maybe?
                                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                                X