X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this item?

I can't seem to find the old "What is this?" thread so I'm making a new one. Anyway, can anyone on here identify what this item is? What is it used for?

Note: The pictures were sent to me from someone outside of this forum. I don't own a digital SLR camera with a macro lens at this time. Maybe sometime after my piggy bank explodes but not now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 10-24-2008, 12:26 AM.

Re: What is this item?

How about this? Do any of you remember the days when these were popular?
    Attached Files

Comment

A micrometer, used for precise measurements.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

Yea, got one mounted on the side of a cabinet in my shop. Use it every day. Gonna get one and mount in on my truck too!
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

yeah, but how do you sharpen the carpenter pencils with this one

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            That's what you were born with teeth for.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
              Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              That's what you were born with teeth for.

So far you have figured out item #2 and TWM sort of has #1 but not quite. I have a feeling that BHD may be one of few on this forum to know just what item #1 is about. It's not what people will think. Give it a good close looking over and look at all of the pictures.

Hint: For item #1 really look at the first picture.
              Last edited by Woussko; 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Its a thread mic.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Can you even buy one of those these days?
                  http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

Watchband tool
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The mike is for measuring either drill bits or small round stock, like piano wire.

Comment

I would call it a "thread micrometer" but or a point "Point micrometer"
                        actually there is a small difference and I did not look close the thread has a "V" blade on the fixed anvil end and the point has a cone on the fixed end. but it is a specitaly micrometer. leaning to a thread mic
                        Last edited by BHD; 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It almost looks like a tool used to measure diamonds and/or other gemstones. Something so that the cut stone could sit in the v-notch, and then the tool could measure the size/height/etc.

Comment

I bet if I told BHD that it's old and was made by Brown & Sharpe that might help some. It is a screw thread micrometer and has a 1-2 inch range. It's listed for sale on eBay but the seller messed up and has it listed as a "Vintage Unknown Tool"? I sent a message with some info so hopefully the listing gets corrected and it sells. The same seller had some wild firm joint calipers I was looking for. Then I figured I may as well see what else he had listed.

Here is a picture of a 1" Starrett screw thread micrometer with it showing the tool taking a measurement. This is from a tool catalog.

================================================== =================================================
                            Attn. jtravnick <Manual crank pencil sharpener>

YES they are still made. You can see more info about them here. I doubt the quality is as high as say 25 or 50 years ago. My main one is like the second one Staples has. It's got to be 20+ years old and works great today almost as good as when new.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Chrome-Black/

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...s_10051_SEARCH

================================================== =================================================

How about if we keep this thread going. Someone else please post something and let's see how long it takes for us to figure out what it is.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Woussko; 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Now for the manual hand crank pencil sharpeners, YES they are still made. You can see more info about them here. I doubt the quality is as high as say 25 or 50 years ago. My main one is like the second one Staples has. It's got to be 20+ years old and works great today almost as good as when new.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Chrome-Black/

Comment

Working...
                              X