Toolbox ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toolbox ?

Rivets! I never looked. Thought they were all the same Ball Bearing Slides. This payed off.

Comment

Originally posted by skirk55 View Post
      Rivets! I never looked. Thought they were all the same Ball Bearing Slides. This payed off.
      Yeah, the Kobalt slides are riveted to the drawers. Not a good way to go if you ask me!! I didnt get to check the mother of all Kobalt boxes (the one with the fridge and less room for tools), but I would never buy that one anyway.

Starting to lean towards the Excel listed on Costcos website, or an International via Ebay.

Comment

Ok this is my suggestion..look for a used older roll around.I have a late 1950s wards top and bottom thats 3' wide.I can barely lift the bottom section alone when empty.The older boxes are much heavier and I think better made.I got very lucky on mine and it doesnt have a dent nor needed paint even.
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
          it looks like Lowes is going to start carrying Kobalt boxes made by Waterloo........go to Tools, then Storage, then boxes/cabinets/chests and in the last few pages you'll see a red (and also in blue) box that looks a whole lot better than their stainless stuff (its priced accordingly though)....definitely looks like a Waterloo box, even the model # is close. It might even be a Waterloo Pro box, Im not sure
          That's nice to know because I never had problems with Waterloo boxes who I think makes them for some Husky Pro/Craftsman Pro etc. The Kobalt stainless steel/black units Lowes introduced this year were made in China worked but IMO the quality was lower compared to the older Kobalt boxes they clearanced out last year.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
            That's nice to know because I never had problems with Waterloo boxes who I think makes them for some Husky Pro/Craftsman Pro etc. The Kobalt stainless steel/black units Lowes introduced this year were made in China worked but IMO the quality was lower compared to the older Kobalt boxes they clearanced out last year.
            I just picked up a Craftsman 42" stainless bototm box. The same as the black that was on sale for the last 2 weeks, just in stainless.

The manufacturer prefix code shows Waterloo, but the box had "Made in China" stamped on it.

So, while the new Kobalts might be Waterloo, it remains to be seen their country of origin.

I havent been able to use my new box yet, hopefully after work tonight I can unload it and take a look.

Comment

I went to Lowe's today and looked at Kobalt tool boxes and I saw the rivets plus the thickness of the steel is thin not good. I then went to Home Depot and looked at Pro Husky. I am not impressed there also. I am going to look at Craigslist and find a used Snap on or Matco tool box. Thank you all for the help deciding on a tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                I just picked up a Craftsman 42" stainless bototm box. The same as the black that was on sale for the last 2 weeks, just in stainless. The manufacturer prefix code shows Waterloo, but the box had "Made in China" stamped on it. So, while the new Kobalts might be Waterloo, it remains to be seen their country of origin. I havent been able to use my new box yet, hopefully after work tonight I can unload it and take a look.
                IMO that tool box at that price point (mine too) is a great value: your tools are safe, organized, and easily accessible. As long as you don't sit on the drawers I can't picture myself wearing them out. IMO Craftsman Pro/Husky Pro tool boxes represent value since I cannot justify spending more on a tool box. I picked up two 26" 3 drawer intermediate boxes that were marked down to $20 a piece NIB which can be stacked on a shelf or placed on top of bottom cabinets. FYI: HF sells tool box liners pretty cheap that don't allow the tools to slide around.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                  IMO that tool box at that price point (mine too) is a great value: your tools are safe, organized, and easily accessible. As long as you don't sit on the drawers I can't picture myself wearing them out. IMO Craftsman Pro/Husky Pro tool boxes represent value since I cannot justify spending more on a tool box. I picked up two 26" 3 drawer intermediate boxes that were marked down to $20 a piece NIB which can be stacked on a shelf or placed on top of bottom cabinets.
                  Yeah, its definitely a nice box. I have confirmed its made in China, which stinks but its still by Waterloo. Not sure if the black box which I passed on was built in USA (some are, some arent).

Still a decent deal though.

Comment

I like the Husky Pro Box at Home Depot with the pull out table. For $750 and a one year warranty not bad. There is not many people that own a Lowe's tool cabinet that can tell me how they are after they are in use a while. The riveted rollers on the draws are a little cheap! With just starting out in a new job as a lawnmower tech I need tools and storage with a limited cash flow it is hard to get everything all at once.This is why everyone's input is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by skirk55 View Post
                      There is not many people that own a Lowe's tool cabinet that can tell me how they are after they are in use a while
                      I picked up two Kobalt tool cabinet towers @$90 last year when Lowes was clearing out the old made-in-USA cabinets/chests while introducing the fancy looking black/stainless cabinets (non-USA). The ball-bearing drawers glide smoothly with heavy cast iron pipe wrenches or with power tools that are stored in the deepest drawer. Too bad they switched manufacturers because I have no complaints and would not hesitate to recommend them if they were available. They may not be Snap-on quality but at lesser $$ they are much better than home owner grade. I think some of the older stock Craftsman Pro/Husky Pro are still made-in-USA/Canada/waterloo but I am not exactly in the market for them unless they are clearing them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X