X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbox ?

Next week I am starting a new job. I will be a wrench for a lawnmower shop and I will be using my tools. At home over the years I have filled two 26" tool towers ans now I need a better toolbox for work. I can not afford Snap-On or Matco so I was thinking at Lowe's the Kobalt 9 draw tool chest. The Item # is 258147. Please give me your comments about tool boxes.

Re: Toolbox ?

Being a machinist, I am partial to Kennedy boxes. They are not ball bearing type, but they are very durable and if you clean and grease the slides every year or two, very smooth. You can also get parts to repair a 25 year old kennedy box with no problems. Price wise, they are higher than a lowes/crapsman and much lower than a snapon or Matco. J&L industrial used to have good sales on them.

Comment

Why don't you look at the red ones they sell at Horrible , er, Harbor Freight. Lots of guys have purchased them and they say they are better quality than a lot of other big name boxes out there. They often are for sale at HF, and if you can find a 15% off coupon, can get it even cheaper. Hope the new job works out too. Good luck,
      Jim Don

Comment

I went in to Harbor Freight and I just saw Chinese made tools. I noticed the tools were not even middle of the road quality. You know people that have used them.

Comment

Well….. A can of worms……..

As far as I am concerned, I have yet to see a commercially available tool box that is worth the price. We have a Snap-On box at the shop that has been around for 15 or 20 years, filled with company owned tooling and available to all – it is beat up and worthless. Snap – On guy looked at it and would not warranty any of it, I could not blame him either. I had roller bearing Craftsman boxes, just gave them away last week. The lower box took some abuse over the years, bottom drawer rusty and overloaded and had bad sliders. We also had a Kennedy box in the service truck, last I saw of it, the sliders were faulty too.

To me the bottom line is they are all junk, unless you treat them with great care. And that is absolutely counter to their function.

Tool boxes should be able to withstand tremendous abuse. Trouble is, in order for the manufactures to produce such a box, they would have to charge more than one would want to pay. Or lift.

I think.

If I ever return to a foreign shop where I need to store my hand tools again, I will build my own box(s) out of wood, and consider the sliders to be applied very carefully.

Steve
          Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I looked at Snap On and Matco and then looked at Home Depot then Lowe's.I will never purchase Craftsman I had a hard time returning a tool three times! I can not spend $2500.00 on a small box. The box at Lowe's was priced at $1500.00 not bad for a large box. I do not know anyone that owns one to ask him how good it is.

Comment

Don't know anybody personnally, but have read in the welding forum that a lot of guys have them and think they are great. IIRC some have even claimed they are better than Snap-On, but I coul d be delusional again. Anyway, go here -- http://weldingweb.com/, then look for the Harbor Freight thread toward the bottom of the forum. If you go to page two of Harbor Freight stuff, you will find a thread dedicated just to the tool boxes from HF. Read thru it and decide for yourself. (NO I don't work at Harbor Freight and never did, but if I had extra money right now, I would buy one.) Yeah, a lot of stuff is cheap Chinese crap, but a lot of big box stores are just filled with Cheap Chinese crap nowdays. There are a few good things at HF, take a loot at the Strong Hands clamps and their mag level. People buy HF stuff (tools) when they have a very short term need for something they won't be using every day. I bought one of their die sets to thread some conduit handles for benders and they worked great for that, but if I were a plumber, I'd buy Ridgid cause it would get used more than infrequently. Back to the boxes, they look like they're pretty well made and HF does stand behind their stuff and will replace broken things no questions asked.
              Jim

Comment

The HF tool chest/box looked comparable to my Husky Pro, Kobalt (original) and Craftsman Pro. New Kobalt tool boxes are made from the same country that makes the HF tools. The price of the HF tool chest/box minus 15% looked interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                  Well….. A can of worms……..

As far as I am concerned, I have yet to see a commercially available tool box that is worth the price. We have a Snap-On box at the shop that has been around for 15 or 20 years, filled with company owned tooling and available to all – it is beat up and worthless. Snap – On guy looked at it and would not warranty any of it, I could not blame him either. I had roller bearing Craftsman boxes, just gave them away last week. The lower box took some abuse over the years, bottom drawer rusty and overloaded and had bad sliders. We also had a Kennedy box in the service truck, last I saw of it, the sliders were faulty too.

To me the bottom line is they are all junk, unless you treat them with great care. And that is absolutely counter to their function.

Tool boxes should be able to withstand tremendous abuse. Trouble is, in order for the manufactures to produce such a box, they would have to charge more than one would want to pay. Or lift.

I think.

If I ever return to a foreign shop where I need to store my hand tools again, I will build my own box(s) out of wood, and consider the sliders to be applied very carefully.

Steve
                  I notice your occupation is listed as locomotive mechanic. So, chances are you have very few hand tools that weigh less than 5 lbs apiece! To build a tool box for what I think your use is, you probably need a small explosives magazine! typical tool boxes are meant to to be used, not abused. If someone uses their tool box as a welding table or an anvil it won't last. I bet on the kennedy box, the slides were never lubed. And whatever the cause, at least replacement parts are available. I promise you that if you built a toolbox out of wood that would take the abuse of a Kennedy or similar box, it would be too heavy to use and the materials would cost you an arm and a leg! A small engine mechanic just needs a decent box with enough room for his tools. Just don't make the mistake of buying a box that doesn't have full extension drawers. Much nicer to work out of.

Comment

Did anyone look at the Kobalt tool box? Or knows anyone that owns one? What do you think of Kobalt quality?

Comment

JTROANOKE

This is for you (and anyone that wants it). I bet you'll like looking it over.

http://www.kennedymfg.com/KenCatrev32708.pdf

As for the KOBALT line at Lowes, I have looked them over and didn't think much of them for the money. That's not to say I would refuse one cheap. Real cheap

Comment

Costco had a nice stainless one. They changed the style a bit for this years model, but they are still pretty nice.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Our local Craigs List often has tool boxes. Many have tools but some are empty.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                            I notice your occupation is listed as locomotive mechanic. So, chances are you have very few hand tools that weigh less than 5 lbs apiece! To build a tool box for what I think your use is, you probably need a small explosives magazine! typical tool boxes are meant to to be used, not abused. If someone uses their tool box as a welding table or an anvil it won't last. I bet on the kennedy box, the slides were never lubed. And whatever the cause, at least replacement parts are available. I promise you that if you built a toolbox out of wood that would take the abuse of a Kennedy or similar box, it would be too heavy to use and the materials would cost you an arm and a leg! A small engine mechanic just needs a decent box with enough room for his tools. Just don't make the mistake of buying a box that doesn't have full extension drawers. Much nicer to work out of.
                            It’s not like that at all. The heaviest combination wrench I have is 1&1/4 inch; heaviest sockets are ½ drive impact. Everything else would be things like pliers and screwdrivers. All the same hand tools you might find in any mechanic’s tool box, and all available at any tool supplier such as sears.
                            Locomotives are big, but they are baby *#^* compared to other things like ships or off road dump trucks such as you would find in a large quarry. Loco’s are also 1/3 pneumatic, and 1/3 electrical, all small stuff as far as hand tools go.
                            Craftsman in my opinion sells excellent hand tools, but their boxes, much like most other boxes don’t measure up. People spend thousands of dollars on high end boxes and for what? Look carefully at what you are getting, the low end boxes are junk, the high end boxes are not worth the scratch.
                            This is only my opinion, and not meant to trash the judgment of others who have invested in tool boxes. We all have little choice; I just don’t see any bargains or even a reasonable return for the cost.
                            I guess if you are parking your tools in somebody else’s shop, you have to provide secure storage. So what else are you going to do……….
                            I tell you what, as I said up above I gave my boxes away last week. They went to a friend who probably did not need them, he did me a favor by taking them from me and I got the space they occupied for other purposes. Right now just about all of my tools that I don’t use every day are in buckets. The tools I do use are also in buckets. Of course my work is all field work now, so I don’t need stationary boxes anymore. But if I do again someday, I am building my own.
                            Steve.

Comment

Sears just had a sale on their 14 drawer mobile and corresponding top. The whole set was 700, the bottom box itself was 449. Kicking myself for not buying it, but the more I see it the less Im impressed with it.

The Kobalts at Lowes are even less impressive.......if I see riveted drawer slides, I immediately walk away. At least the Craftsman had easily replaceable slides (and another set of holes for a second set of slides to boot!)

Im going to Costco today to check the new version they have. I read good things about the Excel box they have on their website, Im just not sure if its available in store to look at. Seems that their old CSPS box is nicer than the current one they carry in store.

Interesting note.......it looks like Lowes is going to start carrying Kobalt boxes made by Waterloo........go to Tools, then Storage, then boxes/cabinets/chests and in the last few pages you'll see a red (and also in blue) box that looks a whole lot better than their stainless stuff (its priced accordingly though)....definitely looks like a Waterloo box, even the model # is close. It might even be a Waterloo Pro box, Im not sure.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X