Black Pipe Fireplace Grate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Pipe Fireplace Grate?

I was wondering if anyone else here has made a fireplace grate out of 1 1/2"
    black pipe with a blower? I figure I can make the bottom manifold out of four T's and 4" nipples, then equal lengths for the bottom going into four 90's. then up the back of the fireplace into another four 90's and equal lengths to clear the fireplace. Figure it would cost around $100.00 without the blower. You need to feed room air into the grate and return the heated air clear of the fireplace smoke. I had wanted to do a wood burning stove but just can't afford it . If this works at least I would get hot air from the fire into the room.

Re: Black Pipe Fireplace Grate?

Frank,
    I haven't done it yet, but I've been thinking about making one of these too. There used to be a company that made them years ago, but I don't know if they are in business anymore. Seems like a good idea and should work. Have you figured out what to use for the blower yet? I have found that the little 12vdc blower motors found in computer CPUs work well as a fan for my stick welder and push out a lot of air. You can take almost any used 12vdc plug-in power pac (from old cordless telephones, etc. I have a load of them in my basement shop) to power the cpu fan. If you fry one, just plug in another. Just make sure that the intake comes out beyond the front of the fireplace opening so you don't draw in any fly ash or errant smoke. Also, the exit pipes at the top should just protrude a bit beyond the front of the fireplace so that the heated air isn't drawn instantly into the flue gas. Too bad you're not closer, would love to collaborate in person on a project like this. It should be a fun one.
    Cheers,
    Jim Don

Comment

Jim Don, looks like I'm not the only guy considering this project. There are several sites on the Internet selling similar units for upwards of $500.00, there's are made of steel and have blowers. I agree the intake and outlets must well clear the fireplace smoke and ash. Regarding the blower there are a lot of options, hair dryer, car heater blower, I have a toro electric leaf blower that has a good variable control. Wouldn't want it to be too loud. Asked a worker at Home Depot about cutting and threading some lengths of black pipe and he said it was included in the price per foot, which for 1 1/2" black pipe was around $3.79. As usual they only had one or two T's and I think two 90's. I know it's a lot of wasted heat going up the flue, but when that fire is going it should get that black pipe real hot and if this set up is airtight the air coming out should be very hot as well. I'm gonna give it some more thought.

Comment

I have a fireplace blower grate that I bought from a company named Inland. It was sent with a blower motor that worked just OK. Didn't push much hot air. It did do good, but just OK. I recently bought a blower motor that pushed more air, and this one does the trick! I have a huge room to heat, where the fireplace is, and it does so well that it is too hot to sit in front of the fireplace. But my thermostat does not kick in the heater. Amazing! My room also has a high ceiling, 23ft. I have a ceiling fan as well. This helps in distributing the heat as hot air rises. My best critique is my wife. She usually needs a blanket, but now she needs no blanket and runs barefoot. So far so good. And I am pleased, too! So, therefore, get a good blower motor. I don't recommend a hair dryer or the such.. I spent $95.00 on my upgrade blower motor. Found a store on ebay. It has two speeds, and is fairly quiet. But in exchange for the amount of heat it blows, I am willing to raise the volume on the tv a bit.
        Hope this helps!

Comment

they appear to still make them,

http://www.google.com/products?q=fir...-8&sa=N&tab=if
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here I am a couple years later and still thinking. I'm tired of arguing with my wife, and she would give me a hard time over the look of a heater grate. The only thing she would accept is a wood burning insert and I can't swing the cost. I figured $1500 for the insert another $800 for the s.s. chimney liner and assorted pieces. Maybe someday.

Comment

Working...
            X