Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woussko's New Toy = Less howling on here

JT
    Is your's one of these? AS to Leica they are famous cameras and lenses for sure.
    http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
    i dont think we will ever see a picture it will be just like all the times he will show up to a event and no show
    Hang in there but don't hold your breath, please. Patience pays off over time. The question is when.

HVAC HAWK
    Please go back to post #16. Those 3 pictures are from a good friend's Canon Rebel XSi digital SLR with the standard kit 18-55mm IS lens on it. The nice Simpson 260-8 is mine that I use and keep nice. It stays here on the shelf above my main bench. I have an old junker for field work. The good stuff stays put.
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-04-2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
      Panasonic Lumix are great. Leica does their lenses and they are very sharp and clear (ask a pro photographer about Leica). I have a 12x zoom that equates to 38-420 on a 35 mm. Some of their newer 10x models are equivalent to 28-280. You can put it in the simple mode and only ever touch the zoom and shutter.
      I've also got a Lumix FZ with the Leica lens, and it's an incredible lens. I have half a dozen digital cameras and the Panasonic is my favorite. Did I mention the Leica lens is incredible?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

Part 3: I wish all digital SLRs had some easy way to convert lens focal length to what it would be on a 35mm SLR without having to remember the conversion factor. On the XSi FL x 1.6 comes close. On many Nikons it's FL x 1.5 ... I could really blow the $$$ and go full frame, I guess.

It's difficult because of the slightly different sized frames of every brand. I have plenty of good lenses for my film eos bodies but when I bought an XTi am now with no good effective wide angle lenses for the XTi's smaller sensor. I'm thinking rather than spend money on more lenses I might just sell the XTi and buy a full frame Eos 5. I wish they made digital bodies for old FD manual lenses. Leica seems to be the only one who actually makes high end fully manual bodies like the M8 and still builds them like the have for the last 50 years.

Comment

Velosapien

A 5D on sale at a good price is great but in case you can't find a good deal on one you might save up for this.
          http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17662

In regards to another very famous brand some of their digital bodies need special lenses with special features. Try that new lens on their top pro model full frame digital and you end up with a little funny spot in the middle of the frame. These big companies are out to get our money one way or another. Be sure your current lenses really will properly work on any new body you have in mind. Test one or two at a good dealer to be sure. Much has to do with focusing and metering so you may well be able to do manual control. By the way the above is for another famous brand other than "Big C".
          Last edited by Woussko; 11-05-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

[quote=Woussko;185882]JT
            Is your's one of these? AS to Leica they are famous cameras and lenses for sure.
            http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702
            [quote]

Mine is an older 3.3 MP model about 4-5 years old - I think it is a DMZ-FC3 or something like that. It has been an excellent camera, not extremely compact, but very light for it's size and no trouble with it whatsoever, except it is probably time for a new battery pack. The life on the original battery pack is not what it used to be. Still good for 100 shots or so outside, but down to 40-50 when using flash. That is probably the only downside to my camera is that it uses a pack, and you can't put regular batteries in it in a pinch.

The closest to what would qualify as the current model of mine is the DMC-fz18S on the link you posted. Reading the specs, it is worlds ahead of mine at the same price point. Looks like there are a lot of options available in the panasonic line these days. When I bought mine, they only had about 6 choices.
            Last edited by JTROANOKE; 11-05-2008, 11:26 AM. Reason: ADD INFO

Comment

JT

Do yourself a nice favor and get a new battery pack or maybe, just maybe you want to trade it in on a new model. Some dealers, especially the huge online ones do take trade-ins. One such place that's very well known is Adorama.
              http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=Contactus

Comment

I've prowled web sites but when I go to the local camera dealers they have not even heard of many of the models on manufactures sites and/or even their own web sites. I think many models (ones I think I want) aren't even out yet. Maybe I need to just sit back and see what comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                  It's difficult because of the slightly different sized frames of every brand. I have plenty of good lenses for my film eos bodies but when I bought an XTi am now with no good effective wide angle lenses for the XTi's smaller sensor. I'm thinking rather than spend money on more lenses I might just sell the XTi and buy a full frame Eos 5. I wish they made digital bodies for old FD manual lenses. Leica seems to be the only one who actually makes high end fully manual bodies like the M8 and still builds them like the have for the last 50 years.
                  You can buy adapter for FD series lenses to use on the newer EOS bodies, you will not have auto anything though. Manual focus and manual aperture from what I have been told.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    JT

Do yourself a nice favor and get a new battery pack or maybe, just maybe you want to trade it in on a new model. Some dealers, especially the huge online ones do take trade-ins. One such place that's very well known is Adorama.
                    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=Contactus
                    Oh, yeah, that is in the works, I just haven't gotten around to it. I won't get rid of a perfectly functioning camera for a battery. I gotta see if I can find the site I got my cordless phone batteries from. The mfr. was 30+ (x2) for the packs and I got some for 9 bucks by shopping around. The site had 99c. shipping so I revived 2 cordless phones for 20 bucks to my door. I hope the same site has one for my camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      You can buy adapter for FD series lenses to use on the newer EOS bodies, you will not have auto anything though. Manual focus and manual aperture from what I have been told.
                      Thanks

Believe it or not the good pictures I've posted on this forum and others are from a vintage (mid 70s or so) Canon AE-1 Program - 35mm SLR and I either have the processor scan the negatives or I scan them myself. Being able to use my OLD lenses on a new digital EOS body would sure be nice. I'll do come checking on this.

By the way the old Canon is mostly manual everything and especially today.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

JT

You might try www.biaf.com and if you like what you see use code 10P4L1FE and get 10% off everything automatically. They don't have everything but they have loads of batteries and normally ship fast too.

Batteries in a Flash (800) 515-2423

Comment

Any reason to get rid of this?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's an FD adapter. Can't tell you if they work or not, I have not tried one nor do I know anyone who has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FD-Lens-Adapter-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=270&page=1

I've got no connection to this place, you're on your own.
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'd like to try one of those adapters just out of curiosity but like most other adapters of the sort they are probably a compromise in quality. The last generation of FD lenses were capable of auto aperture control but that might not work on an adapter since it was mechanically actuated while the es lenses are electronically controlled. It wouldn't bother me much though. I learned photography when cameras were fully manual and the first thing I do with any new camera is figure out how to turn off all the automatic settings.

While the digital is highly convenient I still prefer positive film when I want the absolute best quality. Most of my cameras are older than me. I have pairs of A-1, original F-1, and FTb bodies among others I've picked up over the years ranging from mint to very good condition. I'm still looking for a good used new gen F-1 body.

Comment

Velosapien

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the F-1 the old famous professional 35mm SLR body? If you have good lenses, by all means hold on to them.

I give you credit for wanting to go fully manual and having full control. That's the real way to do it for stills. I wish I had kept my father's old messed up and worn out EXATCA camera. It had served him for a long time and the shutter was totally worn out. No one around could fix it. What really made me sad when I trashed it, was that it had a very good ZEISS lens (55mm f/3.5 - f/22) that was really sharp. Somehow it got trashed in one of my cleaning up of the place sessions. EEEEEEEK Dumb stupid Woussko ... *&^%$ me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exakta

Oh well, that's how things are.

Canon F-1 for anyone wanting some info on it:
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F-1
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_New_F-1

================================================== ==============================================

When I finally break down and get a good digital camera, I think I'll just go everything new and be done with many headaches. Many of the adapters just don't work out right. On the other hand it would be kind of fun to see if there are any good ones.

My Canon AE-1 Program does have simple armature metering but mostly I use it full manual. I'm far from being a serious photographer so it's fun learning. I tell the processor to run everything set at default and no correcting my goofs. Some come out good and some are good for a hard laugh. I need to find and scan my 4 x 6 prints of clear light bulbs and put them on the "What Is This" thread sometime. They are pretty wild. The best one is a 200 Watt running on 24 Volts with a 120 Volt filament. A nice orange glow... A friend has a very cool collection of striking mercury vapor and sodium vapor lamps striking and then every 15 seconds up to full brightness. I'll ask if he has any in .JPG format.
                                Last edited by Woussko; 11-09-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X