Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: toutahnow- it's Vince

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Very cool Vince and thanks for the lesson on the Ulu. All I know is it is a great tool for fleshing a cape. Here are my knives I bought for Alaska and I included an Ulu in the package.

Mark
    Dude, That's hellcat sick! Do any wet work with that?

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
      Dude, That's hellcat sick! Do any wet work with that?
      If I told you I'd have to kill you, I mean I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Looking at knives Tyman
        Last edited by stokefire7; 11-30-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          Vince,

A long time ago I had an old fellow tell me that Eskimos sharpened their cutting tools to a fine edge by laying them in a stream bed. He told me that the sand particles, carried by the water, would, after a length of time, act as an abrasive and sharpen one edge of the tool. After the desired edge was formed the tool was flipped and the other side was 'sharpened.' Have you ever heard of that ?
          -Tom
          hi Tom,

no i haven't heard of that way but you've got my curiousity going. so i'm going to ask some elders what they remember.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
            Hi Vince,is this a cutting tool ? It looks nice.
            hi Kenneth,

yes it is a cutting tool. i guess i forgot to mention that.

it was traditionally a woman's tool.

the man's is the pana, or snowknife.

Vince

Comment

Very cool Vince and thanks for the lesson on the Ulu. All I know is it is a great tool for fleshing a cape. Here are my knives I bought for Alaska and I included an Ulu in the package.

Mark
              those are some nice look'in blades.

thanks for sharing.

Vince

Comment

Vince,

It really doesn't matter what you make it is the fact that you take stuff others would discard and you make it into something. In todays world where we talk about recycling, what you do is that much more important.

Mark

Comment

Mark
                  Got any Cabelas catalogs laying around???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Got any Cabelas catalogs laying around???

J.C.
                    I'm trying not to thread drift so I will reply in Hunting Thread.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      Very cool stuff, Vince. Both the gagoetik and ulu are very nicely shaped.

I've seen something like the gagoetik but it had eye slits in it...I'm guessing it's a completely different thing from the tiara-like gagoetik. This was more like sunglasses to cut down the glare from ice and snow. The eye slits were very thin.

I've seen something called an ulu, but it was used as a chopping knife. Actually, I have one in the kitchen! It's shaped very similar to the ulu, with a blade that curves up and is very sharp. Your ulu looks very nice. The knife I have is not so nice (it was a cheapie when I got it).

This is an interesting post, as I have a customer that wants wooden jewelry. I think I'll try to make some maple and/or black walnut beads and accent them with brass. Thanks for the inspiration!
                      the thing with the eye slits are the "snow goggles" or now known as sunglasses. it's alittle known fact that the inuit invented sunglasses.

i got snow blind as a child because i wasn't wearing sun glasses during the spring time. this is simular to welder's flash and it feels like sand is in your eyes. this can be terribly painful.

a friend of mine got snowblind real bad, and he was wearing $400 sunglasses. he had to cover his head during the day to block out any light. just goes to show that fashion isn't always funtional.

the terra that you mention is actually a headband. the original was made with ivory, bone, or skin. it helped to keep the wearers hair out of their eyes. i've seen old pictures of inuit with hair cuts. lets just say that the cut was "funtional".

Vince

i heard this once; do not think of what you could do with what you do not have. think of what you can do with what you have.

Comment

I saw a movie called "FAST-RUNNER" or something like that about Inuit. One guy was wearing these solid metal goggles with thin slits on them. They looked hard-core, but I guess they are necessary in really harsh sun and ice-glare.
                        Last edited by Service Guy; 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

here's my latest piece.

it's a miniature of a eskimo (inuit) snowknife (letter opener). we call it pana (paa-naa).

this one measures about 6 1/2" long. the real macoy is between 18 to 20" long. the original was fashioned from a caribou antler.

this one is made from copper pipe (still using the unused 4" DWV) sandwiched between 2 thin pieces of brass (planter) for the handle.

the design is several thousand years old (this is my own interpetation) and it becomes an extension of your arm. you can't build a igloo without one.

you'll notice it's a drop-point (for skinning).

just in case, the tip is on the left and the handle is on the right.

can anybody figure out what the little hook is for?

Vince

this was also a deadly weapon when needed
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X