Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toutahnow- it's Vince

you asked so i made a brass headband.

in inuktitut, it's called qagoetik.

when i sold it i had attached parts of a silver earing i had found. i simply looped them through the hole where the string attaches.

it's made from the top of a brass pot for plants. actually, it was only 1/2 a pot as it was supposed to be hung on the wall. i cut the top off and shaped the design with hand tools and lots of sandpaper.

in the old days, these would have been made out of bone, ivory, stone, driftwood and what have you.

it was a status symbol. i guess it still is.

the design and intricacy would show off the man's skills as a carver. there is no string on this bause it is our tradition that the woman does this part. after all, she is the one that's wearing it.

Vince

psssstt! Mark, don't tell anybody it got $80 for it.
    Attached Files

Re: toutahnow- it's Vince

I think one of the problems with society today is too many people have forgotten we use to have to build/make everything and everything has a value.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We just bought a plasma-cam machine. We can make anything in a matter of minutes
      sigpic

Comment

It's really none of my business but I just HAVE to ask why you made a tiara for Mark?

I like it!

I would wear a tiara if it was made from whale bones

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          We just bought a plasma-cam machine. We can make anything in a matter of minutes
          some day. someday.

saw one in school once.

what amazes me about tools such as this and other really cool tools is how the hec could anybody come up with an idea like that.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I think one of the problems with society today is too many people have forgotten we use to have to build/make everything and everything has a value.

Mark

Mark,

I 100% agree and I say that all the time, I hope America will one day become like that again..... Al this "cheap crap" is making it worse,

Yea , we all have seen harbor frieght ads

Comment

just something to think about.

a nail might have been used several times in the old days.

steel was used by the greenland inuit. there are two meteorites mostly composed of iron on the island.

driftwood was prized.

starvation was a fact of life.

the average life span was 35 years. emphysema and lung cancer from the seal oil lamp.

around 1645 or so, capt. james knight and his crew shipwrecked on marble island located about 25 miles from here. to this day, at low tide, calm water, you can see the ship at the bottom of hidden rock bay.

we invented sunglasses (snow goggles), the kayak, compound hunting bow, and the toothbrush.

yes the toothbrush. because if the southeners had invented it, it would have been called the teethbrush.

Vince

Comment

this is my latest piece.

it called a "ulu".

this one measures 2 5/8" from tip to tip of the blade. it's made with recycled 4" DWV pipe. actually, it was never put into service.

it's a brooch, necklace, hood pin, etc....

the original ulu was "recycled" from the large mammal shoulder blades. they would be sharpened with a flat stone.

these particular brooches have been selling for $60 each and i can't make them fast enough. the ulu is a very powerful symbol to us.

i also make full sized ulus out of SS with hardwood handles. homemade rivits, the whole 9 yards.

while i'm just an amateur compared to the masters, i enjoy seeing the looks on peoples faces when i show my art.

it's still gives me goosebumps when i shape cold metal into something that appears 3D. almost liquid and warm.

Vince

if it wasn't for the tools that my people fashioned to survive in the old days, i wouldn't be able to survive in these modern days. ironic eh??
                Attached Files

Comment

Vince,

A long time ago I had an old fellow tell me that Eskimos sharpened their cutting tools to a fine edge by laying them in a stream bed. He told me that the sand particles, carried by the water, would, after a length of time, act as an abrasive and sharpen one edge of the tool. After the desired edge was formed the tool was flipped and the other side was 'sharpened.' Have you ever heard of that ?
                  -Tom

Comment

Hi Vince,is this a cutting tool ? It looks nice.
                    Kenneth Collier
                    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                    Jackson, MS 39206
                    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Very cool stuff, Vince. Both the gagoetik and ulu are very nicely shaped.

I've seen something like the gagoetik but it had eye slits in it...I'm guessing it's a completely different thing from the tiara-like gagoetik. This was more like sunglasses to cut down the glare from ice and snow. The eye slits were very thin.

I've seen something called an ulu, but it was used as a chopping knife. Actually, I have one in the kitchen! It's shaped very similar to the ulu, with a blade that curves up and is very sharp. Your ulu looks very nice. The knife I have is not so nice (it was a cheapie when I got it).

This is an interesting post, as I have a customer that wants wooden jewelry. I think I'll try to make some maple and/or black walnut beads and accent them with brass. Thanks for the inspiration!
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Friends of mine brought me back an ulu from Alaska - haven't used it yet, kinda looks more like a souvenir than an useful tool.

Now Vince, I'm sure an ulu made by you would make short work of whatever one was preparing for dinner, be it northern or southern quisine.
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Very cool Vince and thanks for the lesson on the Ulu. All I know is it is a great tool for fleshing a cape. Here are my knives I bought for Alaska and I included an Ulu in the package.

Mark
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Very cool Vince and thanks for the lesson on the Ulu. All I know is it is a great tool for fleshing a cape. Here are my knives I bought for Alaska and I included an Ulu in the package.

Mark
                            Jack The Ripper wants your phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              jack the ripper wants your phone number.
                              1-800-cut-meat

Comment

Working...
                              X