Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one for the good guys!

27 Unlicensed Contractors Nabbed In 2-Day Sting
    ATWATER VILLAGE More than two dozen unlicensed contractors were arrested in a two-day sting operation in the Atwater Village area of Los Angeles, authorities said Friday.

Investigators from the Contractors State License Board posed as homeowners at a "sting house" on Wednesday and Thursday and invited suspected unlicensed contractors to bid on a number of home-improvement projects.

Twenty-seven unlicensed contractors were arrested for misdemeanor contracting without a license after they put in bids for more than $500 per job. California law requires anyone who performs a home-improvement job
    valued at $500 or more in labor and materials to have a CSLB license.

In some cases, the suspects will also face a charge of illegal advertising or not being registered as a home-improvement salesman.

Sting targets were identified from consumer complaints, online and print advertisements and tips from an association of licensed contractors. The
    cases will be turned over to Los Angeles City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo's office.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Re: Here's one for the good guys!

We're they all Plumbers???????

Or a mixture???????

Thanks for the write up.......
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post

Yes, I believe so.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Good job by the CSLB. Atwater Village (Community in Los Angeles next to Glendale) is a cesspool of day-laborers (illegal aliens) turned Contractor. The City will not touch them so they have gone unchecked and grown in numbers. It's not bad enough Los Angeles is a sanctuary City for illegal aliens, now they passed an ordinance which requires stores like Lowes and Home Depot to have covered shelters for the day laborers which include restrooms, water, tables, chairs and security. It sounds like they won a Union negotiated contract without ever asking for anything.

The majority of (not all) day laborers are illegal aliens and I guarantee they are all working under the table and not paying taxes. I know it is not PC to complain about illegal aliens but why is it okay to ignore their crimes and not the crimes of others? Many of these unlicensed Contractors are also working under the table and using day laborers instead of real employees making it impossible for legit Contractors to compete.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hurray! for the Good Guys

Why did it take them 2 days to nab just 27

They could have easily round up 50 before noon here

Not to turn this around into an arguement but........

What did this Sting operation cost the taxpayers of CA? Not just in manpower to capture and process but court costs down the road?

What's the maximum penalty for this misdemeanor? Fines? I suspect most are already back at it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Hurray! for the Good Guys

Why did it take them 2 days to nab just 27

They could have easily round up 50 before noon here

Not to turn this around into an arguement but........

What did this Sting operation cost the taxpayers of CA? Not just in manpower to capture and process but court costs down the road?

What's the maximum penalty for this misdemeanor? Fines? I suspect most are already back at it.
            It took two days because they had the contractor come to a bait house to offer an estimate. The estimates were probably scheduled far enough apart so the next guy would not see the previous guy getting hauled off in cuffs.

As for costs they were using CSLB employees so there was no additional costs for the sting. Court costs generally are charged back to the criminal and fines are $5,000 per occurrence but now include imprisonment after the second time.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am happy to see this happening somewhere, and wish it happened more often everywhere. I am snipping Joey's' post and sending it on to my friends at the State DCA, Code Enforcement Division and maybe prod them into some action here.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is really our City Attorney who put this into motion. When I had turned in the 2 unlicensed guys from my work about 3 years ago our contractor's board told me if I could identify them they would be prosecuted, because it was a high priority for this City Attorney. My 2 guys were both found guilty. Both had to pay my agency back and either do jail time or pick up trash on the freeway. For one of the guys it was his second offense (and he was teaching plumbing at a local trade school) so in addition he owed $15,000 in court fines. My favorite part is that he told the judge I was mean because I got him fired. I contented why allow him to teach future crooks instead of future plumbers. The judge told him to get a job at McDonald's and pay us back.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post

Or a mixture???????

Thanks for the write up.......
                  It actually turns out they were all kinds of contractors. They set up the entire house to need estimates-even the driveway
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                  X