X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Traffic Stop - holy cow!!!!

This is something that a buddy in law enforcement sent me. It's older, yes, and therefore not really news, but it's something that I presume the majority on here haven't seen before. It's just something that makes you kiss your loved ones, and makes you take stock of what you have, especially in this day and age when many people are thinking they really don't have much in this time of financial meltdown..... Enjoy. Be sure to check out the pictures.

05-03-04
    Traffic stop erupts into hail of bullets; suspect shot
    By Edmond Ortiz
    Staff Writer

SCHERTZ - A routine traffic stop March 3 turned dangerous for one Schertz police officer, who managed to shoot a motorist that had sprayed the officer's patrol car with more than 30 rounds of gunfire.

Michael Patrick Kennedy, 48, of Bulverde, was charged with attempted capital murder, authorities said. At 11:38 p.m. Officer Richard Kunz pulled over a black Toyota Corolla in the northbound 23500 block of Interstate 35 for a speeding violation.

Kunz said in an arrest affidavit that, upon arriving at the Corolla, the driver did not identify himself. Kunz then saw the driver raise and point a handgun at him.

The patrolman retreated to behind his vehicle and exchanged fire with Kennedy, who used a 9mm handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle.

Additional police officers arrived at the scene a few minutes after Kunz requested backup. Kunz managed to shoot Kennedy three times in the back and neck.

Kennedy was taken by ambulance to Brooke Army Medical Center to undergo surgery. He was listed in serious condition at press time, and is expected to recover. In addition to the AK-47 and 9mm, police also recovered a .38 caliber pistol and several ammunition magazines from Kennedy's car.

Kunz was not injured. The Schertz Police Department placed him on administrative leave while the incident is under investigation by the SPD and the Texas Rangers. Kunz, 30, has been with the SPD for two years. He previously served a year and a half with the Kirby Police Department, city spokesperson Debbie Gildea said.

Kunz holds a bachelor's degree and 1,036 hours of training with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement. This was the first shooting involving a Schertz police officer in more than 2 1/2 years.

"Officer Kunz's experience is one that all police officers must be prepared to face, regardless of where they work," said police Chief Steve Starr. "His calm, by-the-book response is a testimony to his presence of mind and to extensive training.

"While good fortune may have played a role in his success last week, experience and training were key to his ability to take a dangerous criminal off the street," the chief added.
    Attached Files

Re: Texas Traffic Stop - holy cow!!!!

I'm not really sure how the financial meltdown plays into those pictures. No matter how bad it gets, I'm not going to shoot at a officer.

Law enforcement is dangerous work. They know this before turning in their application. It's terrible it happened, but shocked I am not.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I'm not really sure how the financial meltdown plays into those pictures. No matter how bad it gets, I'm not going to shoot at a officer.

Law enforcement is dangerous work. They know this before turning in their application. It's terrible it happened, but shocked I am not.
      unfortunatly, there are some really twisted people out there.

this looks like the perp was trying to get shot. suicide by police officer.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

No, no, no. I don't mean the financial meltdown leading to cop shootings. That wasn't my meaning behind what I said. I just meant that these kind of stories makes us thank our lucky stars that we're alive each day, and enjoying everything we do have, and no matter how bad of a day you may have, there's always someone out there whose day is always worse.

Comment

[quote=canucksartech;185784]No, no, no. I don't mean the financial meltdown leading to cop shootings. That wasn't my meaning behind what I said. I just meant that these kind of stories makes us thank our lucky stars that we're alive each day, and enjoying everything we do have, and no matter how bad of a day you may have, there's always someone out there whose day is always worse.[/quote

spoken like a true first responder.

canucksartech, have ever been up my way?

Vince

Comment

No, I haven't been up quite that far north. I've heard it's quite beautiful up there though, with some great hunting and fishing around Rankin.

Comment

Working...
            X