X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Get Another Job!

Just watched Fox News as the president of the united autoworkers defended GM and the auto industry. His opponent/financial expert and contributor for Fox said our auto industry is dead and , "Why don't you just get another job!". That's the kind of response that deserves a smack and then a good respectful conversation. Over forty years ago when I watched members of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union protest outside a department store which was selling clothing made in japan, plenty of fine Americans yelled out the same stupid insults. One at a time we are losing jobs Union and nonUnion to the slave workers of the third world. One at a time manufacturing plants are moving away from the oversight of the EPA and OSHA to pollute foreign soils and endanger foreign workers and people. Do you really feel so safe, so arrogant as to think your turn will not come? When the standard of living in the USA decreases enough and customers cannot afford your prices you will either refuse the work, work at a lower profit, or here the words, "Why Don't You Get Another Job!". I hope that never happens because if it does, it will mean that many other hard working men and women along with their familes will have suffered the same fate and our standard of living will be that much closer to those in the third world. I still think bailouts are not the answer, neither are insults!

Re: Go Get Another Job!

If my industry ever becomes unprofitable, you bet I'll get out and find something else. Supply and Demand rule economics....adapt or die.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      If my industry ever becomes unprofitable, you bet I'll get out and find something else. Supply and Demand rule economics....adapt or die.
      Please think in broader terms and today's economy. Imagine that jobs are hard to find, jobs that pay enough to provide you and your family with medical coverage and enough money to pay the bills. Consider that you are one of tens of thousands who are looking for that "profitable" job. Consider that you are no longer a strong, young man. It's easy to have all the answers when you don't know all of the problem. Sure hard working, determined men and women will not do not want to sit on their butts when they could be working, just consider all the jobs lost, the current job market and what employers are paying. This is not a simple problem that goes away with a simple answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        This is not a simple problem that goes away with a simple answer.
        To me the fundamental "problem" is that our standard of living is so much higher than in other places, thus it costs more to make it here. If our standard of living was the same, then things wouldn't be cheaper to produce overseas. As much as I complain about China, I think our problems are better ones to have than having most of your population in poverty.

BTW, China is injecting "stimulus" equivalent to 1/6 of GDP into their economy because of a fall in exports.

Comment

Supply and Demand rule economics....adapt or die.

there are many areas where supply and demand is not the ruling factors, they are factors, no doubt,

some is speculators, some is government regulations, and controls, some is the perception of people of what supplies and demand are, not necessarily what it actually is,

right now we are in a economic down turn, now answer me, how is Gasoline now only worth 1/2 of its cost a few months ago?

Grains, Wheat is at a 60 year low in supply, and yet it has dropped nearly 2/3 of it value of last february, have people stopped eating is the supply larger, NO, so why is the value of the grain so much less?

why does one shop charge XX for a repair, and the next charges YY, for the same repair.
          in that city there are probably going to be ZZ number average of that type of repair as long as the same materials are used, to build the systems,

another example of government or rules is labor, we have a rule/law in this country for a minimum wage, and it does not mater if there is a excess of workers or a shortage of workers, the starting point is the minimum wage, it does not mater if they have one days of experience or if they have a collage degree, they all start at that wage, unless they are started higher, but the low end is set, the low end has nothing to do with the supply or the demand of workers. (normally).

as is in many situations about the only time supply comes into play on the shortage end is if there is a shortage, as long as there is enough to supply the demand, very little increases in price of the product, now when there is no longer enough supply for the demand does it come in to play, in many instances,

(for an example say company A makes copper tees, and they gear up and make enough copper tees for say a 2 years, now there is a 2 year supply is the price going to drop on tees, more than likely not, as they will jsut work out of the inventory, now two years goes by and this company is the only or one of two companies making tees, now there supply is gone and they are not ready to gear up for production of tees for another month, OK there may be a increase of price for a short time as OLD stock or trying to round up any extra supplies in trying to meet the demand, but as soon as the company gets back into production, the price will drop back down to the price that was normal, but an excess supplies do not mean cheaper prices necessarily,

there is as much as in who controls the supply and doles it out to the demand that is at hand,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Disappointingly simplistic take on the current condition of the US Automotive Industry. If we lose these manufacturers it goes beyond the employees of the three big it will include all of the support businesses as well. That said, as we have watch the US Automotive Industry decline over the last 30-years I am wondering if the Union had any programs available to the employees to retrain for other industries? I believe just as the manufacturer's had a responsibility to adapt to current needs the Unions had a responsibility to prepare their members to adapt.

When I was just starting out I landed a job with Lockheed. The day I was suppose to start, there was a story in the paper about a problem with the Rolls Royce engine they were using and it looked like Lockheed was going to lose a big project. Of course I was told there was no reason to show up as they were laying everyone off. The plant was cut by about 80% but struggled for many many years. About 15-years later I already had my plumbing business and a bunch of my clients who worked for Lockheed were told they could move to Virginia but their jobs in Palmdale were no longer available. The community still has not recovered from those lost jobs. I was sure glad I decided to go into plumbing as I was able to better control what happened in my world.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Disappointingly simplistic take on the current condition of the US Automotive Industry. If we lose these manufacturers it goes beyond the employees of the three big it will include all of the support businesses as well. That said, as we have watch the US Automotive Industry decline over the last 30-years I am wondering if the Union had any programs available to the employees to retrain for other industries? I believe just as the manufacturer's had a responsibility to adapt to current needs the Unions had a responsibility to prepare their members to adapt.

When I was just starting out I landed a job with Lockheed. The day I was suppose to start, there was a story in the paper about a problem with the Rolls Royce engine they were using and it looked like Lockheed was going to lose a big project. Of course I was told there was no reason to show up as they were laying everyone off. The plant was cut by about 80% but struggled for many many years. About 15-years later I already had my plumbing business and a bunch of my clients who worked for Lockheed were told they could move to Virginia but their jobs in Palmdale were no longer available. The community still has not recovered from those lost jobs. I was sure glad I decided to go into plumbing as I was able to better control what happened in my world.

Mark
              Good post Mark. I think there is enough blame to share among Unions, companies, our legislators and ourselves for our current situation and lack of foresight and preparedness. Many of us are stuck with very inefficient vehicles and as we watch the price of gas and other commodities we are helpless to do anything. When these big employers go under the tens of thousands they employ will have a ripple effect on others. So how can this be turned around? I know there are plenty of workers who like Service guy would be quick to try and find another job, but that won't happen in this economy. Why do we have to borrow from and watch communist china prosper while we fall apart? We can't afford to have Obama and the democrats handout money to rescue failing industries, but something must be done. What do you think is the answer? I just don't have a clue.

Comment

This whole crisis is not just governments and manufacturings faults. Some of it is the American consumer and having a really warped perspective of want vs. need. The auto companies gave up on cars and poured their resources into gas guzzlers because that was what was selling. The American consumers who were driving Chevy Suburbans and Ford Expeditions to work (6000 lb. vehicle to haul one person 90% of the time) because they were convinced that they needed them to haul two kids around after work created a demand that the automakers found very profitable. Then the banks allowed 100% financing on these purchases and you know the rest.
                Same with housing. Does a family of four with a modest income really need 3000 square feet? And then with the banks giving 100% loans with payments at 50% of income ..... Then we need 30k worth of furniture, 100% financed on a 21% credit card.....

Unfortunately many of us have convinced ourselves that we really "need" these things. The reality of it is, we don't. My wife and I both drive midsize cars that approach 30 mpg. on the highway. Either car will take us anywhere with our 2 teenagers. Sorry, didn't feel the need for a $2000 DVD system in the car when the stores are full of really nice portables for $100. If all else fails they can read a book!

Comment

Totally agree! Many consumers have gone off the deep end with huge SUV's and electronics, etc. Now Circuit City is going under. I have a couple 27" regular tube tv's which are fine, how can people afford all those plasma sets? Remember when couples raised their children in 1200 or 1400 sq ft homes? Now they are double that and instead of four or five people in a mid size car, as the last person wrote you see one or two in a seven passenger SUV which gets 10 or 12mpg. The consumer helped the situation get out of hand. Have we learned our lesson? Will we buy and drive a subcompact that fits four? Talking about tv's I hear you can't even buy a regular one anymore, they are all those LCD or plasma, disposable society running out of funds.

Comment

You think this is bad?

American History is about to be tarnished in a HUGE way here soon.

China is sending a probe to the moon. Why? Because they don't believe we ever made it there.

What's disturbing is those "belts" that surround the earth's atmosphere required 7' thick lead walls to sustain human life to pass through and return back through the atmosphere.

Remember, we didn't have that space age technology that the space shuttle has with those high density blocks that withstand serious heat.

In a nutshell, those returning astronauts should of been crispy critters or severely brain damaged on the return path given the technology that was posessed back then.

I'm sure to stir the pot with this but china is set to debunk we ever went there, not me. If this happens, america will lose the shirt off it's back for being credible in the world's eyes.

Food for thought:

Knowing there was powerful telescopes back then,

Why didn't they take snapshots of that standing flag on the moon, year after year after year to see if it was still there...

Technology has only been getting better, so why haven't we visited that moon since then?

Too many questions and the fact we've never returned is something that leaves more questions than answers, and china is about to put all the logic to the test. We as innocent bystandards are going to see our history be tarnished over a failed attempt years ago that what was and what is are two different scenarios.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

disposable society running out of funds.
                      Whether indented or not - this is a very fitting way to describe the situation. The way things are going the disposable society will eventually dispose of itself too.
                      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Dunbar, are you on your medication again?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Remember, we didn't have that space age technology that the space shuttle has with those high density blocks that withstand serious heat.

The space shuttle is mostly from the same era as the Apollo rockets and in many ways an inferior vehicle. Its technology is outright ancient. Right now NASA is retiring the shuttle and going back to vehicles similar to the Apollo. If it wasn't because NASA quite literally lost the apollo blueprints they would have probably started making those again instead. The heat shields on the shuttle are basically the same material always used.

Food for thought:

Knowing there was powerful telescopes back then,

Why didn't they take snapshots of that standing flag on the moon, year after year after year to see if it was still there...

The most powerful telescope there is is the hubble and even at that distance the entire landing site would show up as a dot.

Technology has only been getting better, so why haven't we visited that moon since then?

It cost a hole lot of money.

http://www.braeunig.us/space/hoax.htm

If china thinks it's a hoax they will be very dissapointed in what they'll find if they ever get there.
                          Last edited by Velosapien; 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Good post Mark. I think there is enough blame to share among Unions, companies, our legislators and ourselves for our current situation and lack of foresight and preparedness. Many of us are stuck with very inefficient vehicles and as we watch the price of gas and other commodities we are helpless to do anything. When these big employers go under the tens of thousands they employ will have a ripple effect on others. So how can this be turned around? I know there are plenty of workers who like Service guy would be quick to try and find another job, but that won't happen in this economy. Why do we have to borrow from and watch communist china prosper while we fall apart? We can't afford to have Obama and the democrats handout money to rescue failing industries, but something must be done. What do you think is the answer? I just don't have a clue.
                            Communist China is prospering because they do not have the same restraints placed on their manufacturers as we do. We will never be able to compete with China cost wise but there is no reason why we cannot compete with them in the area of technology and quality. Then the consumer will have to decide what's important to them.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Well, this thread started out one way and is taking a different direction but I'll play along. Since we can't complete with communist china in the area of manufacturing and are forced to buy their substandard junk, along with this news that they are about to make fools of us regarding the moon landing...I suggest we take them out! All out nuclear war, they won't see it coming and we can take out russia, north korea and france as well. This is our chance to become independant from the rest of the world. We can start manufacturing high quality parts and safe food items for our own consumption. I'll bet no other world power would ever plan another moon landing!

Comment

Working...
                              X