X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Circuit City Files For Bankruptacy Protection

..... and I would go a step further and suspend the sales tax also to encourage local buying.
    Sales tax is a state tax, the Feds can't do anything about it. And states can't afford to give it up, it's a major source of income for them.

The Feds could suspend any taxes on piece parts or sub-assemblies and finished vehicles that get passed on to consumers in auto and truck sales for vehicles made (>90%) here in the US.

They could also drop FIT to a fixed rate for EVERYONE (earning at an annual rate above poverty level) to say 10%. This way everyone starts to realize an immediate increase in their take home pay and Washington still has some tax dollars coming in. All other taxes (SS, Medicare, etc) would stay the same as they are now. All corporations and individuals would pay the fixed rate for monies that are considered income under current rules. This puts money in the hands of those who need it now and requires no additional bureaucracy to implement, employers would just change the payroll deduction from using the tables to a fixed 10%.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've been to CC three times. Each time was to get something in their advertising flyer. Each time the item was out of stock but for another hundred bucks or so I could get something a little better. Good GD riddence to the theiving Bastards. I hope they all choke and DIE!

That's not very cristian of me is it?
      sigpic

Comment

You didn't spell christian right so you're off the hook!

Bob,

Tomorrow, go to the store with a large crescent wrench, go behind the building and shut the gas off and throw an old lock on it.

They'll shut down as a result and even the HVAC guy will figure out that's the last place to look, to figure out why the furnace isn't running.

I'd been yelling so the police did show up, yelling at everyone that you're getting F88CKED like a housecat because they are shortselling what's on the shelves.

I'd try to break stuff on the shelves so they can't sell it.

But that's just me in a heated moment. << Oh look! I'm Bi-Polar tonight.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Oh I raised my voice alright to make sure everyone standing in line behind me knew what was going on. I wanted them to double check the price on their items too so they would be ripped off.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wow, you guys are real cheapskates.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

speaking of shutting off the gas main. When I was younger we used to sneak behind the Burger King and shut off the gas main at about 11:30 am. They finally wized up and put a lock on it.
              sigpic

Comment

TV commercials here say that they are going out of business. No longer closing some stores, All stores going out.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

The following is all that's on their web site anymore. 02/01/2009
                  CIRCUIT CITY

Circuit City would like to thank all of the customers who have shopped with us over the past 60 years.
                  Unfortunately, we announced on January 16, 2009, that we are going out of business.

For the most current information regarding Circuit City and our store policies, please refer to the links below:

» Read the press release about Circuit City's liquidation

» For the latest answers to questions regarding current store policies, visit the Breaking News section
                  of the Circuit City Investor Relations website. The FAQs available there are updated as we receive
                  new information, so feel free to keep checking back for the latest

» Circuit City is currently hiring temporary labor to assist in the store liquidation process.
                  If interested, visit the Circuit City jobs site

Put simple, they are done ... History ... KaPut ..... Another gold star for member Papa Dan
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-01-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Luckily, I was only able to get a few kid's PC games and a few movies. I just couldn't believe how high the prices were on USB sticks when, at the time, I picked up higher capacity drives for lower cost somewhere else.

For those of you mentioning the shopping online, that luxury of NOT paying sales tax may become a thing of the past as more states are looking into charging you sales tax no matter where you are. The added work for the company will be that they have to file taxes and pay to the state you live in (if you buy out of the state you live).

In New York, Overstock.com laid off (or actually fired) all of their employees because New York's law states if you have employees working in New York, you have to charge New York residents sales tax. They are currently suing New York on this. Many people were let go from Overstock.com because of this issue. I have also read where Amazon.com is dealing with legal issues with New York too.

So, watch as more online companies will start charging sales tax.

I run a direct-selling business where they charge sales tax on items, no matter where you live. The company collects the sales tax and pays each state what they have received. I can just imagine the Accounting Department they have to use to process all the payments.

I also purchase online when possible. And hope this doesn't happen any time soon. But, I also see more people shopping locally when they realize it will cost just as much to shop online.

Just my opinion.

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Originally posted by henneca View Post
                      I run a direct-selling business where they charge sales tax on items, no matter where you live. The company collects the sales tax and pays each state what they have received. I can just imagine the Accounting Department they have to use to process all the payments.
                      Especially, because in places like NY there are going to be 100%s of different sales tax rates.

I have to pay something like $75or about as part of our income tax return to offset the state's revenue loss from our online purchases.

Comment

Now that you mentioned the tax return, I do recall Ohio having that question on their return. We've already done our return, and needless to say, we didn't buy anything in 2008 that was out of state without sales tax. I bet other states have that question on their returns.

Hmmmm. Everyone's trying to get their piece of the action. No wonder why people don't have money to spend!

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Working...
                        X