X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Price.

What would you do if the store rang up the price of something wrong.

I am mainly referring to it being in your favor. Since most people would say something if the price was too high.

So you go in to buy a miter saw for 599 and they couldn't find the upc so they charged you 299 because they looked through the computer to find the price. Would you say something?

Re: Wrong Price.

The question should be; SHOULD you say something? That answer would be an easy YES, but your asking WOULD I say something. It all depends. If I were at my local supplier LN Violate, a sort of small mom and pop deal, I would speak up.
    If I were at HD and I knew the check out clerk wouldn't get flack for it, I would consider it Justice and load up!
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

It has happened to me and I have told the clerk that can't possible be the price. I've even had a manager argue with me saying it was the right price. That kind of stuff pisses me off when all you are trying to do is the right thing.

Many years ago my oldest daughter was home from college to spend the 4th of July with the family. She had gone to an ice cream truck and bought all of her siblings ice cream. When she came back she counted her change and realize she was given way too much change. When she went back to him there was a language barrier as he did not speak English. When she got no where with him I went back and with my broken Spanish explained he gave her too much change. It wasn't the easiest way to handle it but it was the right way.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What comes around goes around.

Comment

Not me.

For every time I've sat in line, FURIOUS because the idiot running the cash register is a effing retard, wasting my time, trying to entertain conversation with the girl next cashier over confirming she didn't go far in life either,

I take every amount of money that has come to me as a mistake from them as PAYBACK!

$20 here, $50 there, that's all payment for my time for their ignorance, their inability to do simple math.

I love it when it happens at restaurants, freaking awesome. I pay with a ten and they give me $18 dollars back? SCORE! That's because I just got paid for all the fuel I burn sitting in those drive-thrus because jane just started yesterday and "she's in training".

Not my problem.

I personally go to certain cashiers at Home Depot because they're notorious for getting it wrong, and I don't even try.

I've nailed down some great deals because of stupid mistakes at the blame of hiring ignorance.

Well, you have to pay for that ignorance one way or another because it affects the bottom line of customer satisfaction.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I know this Thread was aimed at making us think right and wrong, but I found it really comical. Mark is ever the good man doing the right thing and you have to respect that, at the same time Gene Bickford and Dunbar make no apologies. Gotta love'em all. Speaking for myself, years ago I might have kept quiet but now I more agree with another member who said what goes around. Karma is gonna get ya!

Comment

For some reason the only place I ever have pricing problems regularly is HD. I will almost always do the right thing but there are exceptions out of pure frustration and I don't regret it. Most of the time it's the cashier missing items in the cart and not scanning them due to being in a hurry when lines are huge. I'll point out that they missed stuff and move on. I could have easily walked out with the stuff even though it would basically be stealing. I'll usually point out incorrect prices too (high or low) but honestly there are the times when I just have to say screw it. If they can't get things straight I'm not wasting any more of my time. Pointing it out typically involves them spending 15 or 20 minutes fumbling around on the computer trying to get the right price while everyone in line behind waits in misery. Last time was on the auto check out line. I was in a big hurry, only two cashiers open with lines going all around. The auto checkouts were mostly empty so I go straight for them. Scan my stuff, total comes up and I notice it's $80 less than it should be. One of the items was entered incorrectly into the system as $0.01. I was about to get someone to fix it until I realized that would probably take a really long time to even get any help. Screw them, I scanned my stuff, it said that's what it was worth, and I paid it. Next time get things straight.

Comment

I always tell em... I cant help it. I figure if I make mention of it and they say "well thats what it is ringing up at" then I feel comfortable taking the deal. If they give you too much money back its pretty black and white in my book. its alright dunbar I still respect ya.

Comment

I bought about $100 dollars worth of mostly lumber from one
                  of the big box stores not long ago. The young female cashier was
                  having trouble scanning some plywood that was in the cart.
                  I asked you got it? she replied she did.
                  The total bill rang up a whooping $23 dollars and change!

ohh.. the temptation! ..but..

I told the young cashier, " dear, I would love to pay that, but the
                  lumber alone is at least $85 dollars. She re-scanned the whole cart
                  and sure enough the bill came to a little over $100 dollars.

She looked absolutely insulted! Didn't say thanks for your honestly,
                  Didn't say sorry I made a mistake, Didn't say I cant believe I made
                  that mistake, and not even a screw you.

So next time they got my bill wrong to my favor ..... you can guess what I did!

That's Right!
                  Told them the bill was wrong and the total was too low!
                  Why? .

...Because I'm a total frikin idiot, thats why!!!!

Last edited by Davet; 11-12-2008, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Stealing is stealing no matter how you disguise it. If you would knowingly allow them to undercharge you and not say something about it then in my book you would be stealing from the store. How could it be anything else?
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

up here, there is a chain of stores that have been here for a couple of hundred years. they re-named themselves, but they're still the same rip-off artists.

they advertise a price and charge another, always higher. eg; $8.00 for flour, actual charge $17.00 and change. i complained to management about it. it was never corrected (pricing is out of winnipeg). i even went on our local radio station to let the people know.

this company received new uniforms a while back. a bunch of us noticed right away that the the words "customer service is our priority" had been omitted from the new vests.

here's another interesting note about this company. within the store they have a KFC (Kanada Fried Chicken) outlet. a couple years back there was a "chicken shortage" according to the manager of the restraunt. i believe it was during the bird flu situation we had here in canada. we didn't have any KFC chicken in a bucket for a couple of months. we finally got "chicken" and sales were brisk.

i'm pretty sure that i was the only citizen that noticed the sign (see through) had been turned around backwards, yes backwards.

i stood in the porch and approached people coming out the store with buckets of what they believed to be "KFC" chicken. i told them that they bought the store brand chicken and passing it off as KFC.

the people didn't believe me at first. i asked them to look at the sign. they didn't notice. i pointed out that the sign was backwards and that it wasn't the chicken they thought they were paying for(the prices didn't change). they still didn't believe me. so i challenged them to ask the manager. they did and the manager had to fess up and put a very small sign up by the till stating that "in fact" it wasn't KFC but the grocery store brand.

sales immediatly stopped. no more chicken in a bucket since then.

any other company here in town i'm absolutely honest and up front. because they are fair and honest with me and the rest of the people. if i'm under charged or given too much change, i'll let them know.

not so with the above mentioned store. i go to great lengths not to support their racist a$$e$.

what goes around, comes around.

respectfully and without prejudice,

Vince

incidentally, it's been rumored that alot of the vehicles that were underwater state side during your floods a couple years back have made their way up here.the US stickers raised alot of eyebrows.

Comment

When I go to HD, I actually EXPECT this to happen.

On one hand, yes it might feel dishonest if price A is on the shelf and they charge you a much lower price B. On the other hand, I cant be held responsible if they dont update their shelf pricing (which we all know, HD is HORRIBLE at keeping up with). Especially clearance stuff.........I went to buy door handles for a closet install, picked a handle and was honestly prepared to pay the shelf marked price. It was apparently on even bigger clearance, and the true price was 1/4 of the shelf price. Is it dishonest because they "charged me the wrong price"? No....it wasnt marked correctly on the shelf.

Now, if you pick up a 599.00 miter saw and it rings up 299 at the cash register (via scanned UPC.......does anyone relaly manually input stuff anymore), how is it my responsibility that the pricing in their computers are messed up? I can understand if a cashier manually typed something in, but that very rarely happens. So if HDs pricing is borked, should I feel bad because they couldnt keep it up to date? And, in fact, I would almost be under the assumption taht the shelf price was wrong and it really SHOULD have been 299.

Ive had this same thing happen at Lowes (Delta jointer on clearance for 92 bux, marked 250 on shelf), Sears (several tool sets on sale but not marked so on shelf) and probably a whole bunch of other places Ive ever shopped. Not trying to steal, I chock it up to the fact that the computer is probably 100% right (AFAIK there are weekly or even nightly updates of pricing, inventory, etc) and the shelf price was just lagging.
                        Last edited by chrisexv6; 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I was just curious if anybody else does it. About three months ago I went into HD to finnally pick up a pressure washer. I did a big drainage and sidewalk removal to my house so I had quite a bit of mud to clean up. I saw one I liked and it just came out (according to an employee) I liked the tool on the front for cleaning driveways, that also detaches to use on other surfaces. It was 399.99 According to the little sign on the pressure washer. I just happened to grab the other PW that did not have a price marked on it.

I went to the register prepared to pay full price. Well there was no UPC since it came pre-assembled. The girl looked it up in the computer. She found one with a similar size engine so she rang it up. $250. My friend was with me and he helped talk me into buying the more expensive PW. So I got a pretty good deal.

Comment

If they give me the wrong change I give it back, but this is seldom happening anymore because I pay with credit cards. If the computer says the wrong price after scanning, I take the computers price without second thought. If the shelf says a price that is lower than it rings up at, I make them honor the shelf price.

Comment

Bucket of KFC sounds good right about now. Lunch time!

I stand by my statements; that karma pays me every time I have to wait for no reason at all, or I'm late to a service call.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X