X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 germ-laden professions

The 10 Germiest Jobs in America: Is yours on the list?

We're getting over the stomach flu in my house (NOT fun), so believe me, I've been thinking about germs this week--specifically how to avoid them. So a recent headline caught my eye: The 10 Germiest Jobs in America. Of course, I had to click and learn more. Here's the scoop ...
    Dr. Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, whose nickname is "Dr. Germ," spoke to ABC News recently, about the germiest professions in America:
    1. Teacher/day-care worker
    2. Cashier, bank employee
    3. Tech support/computer repair
    4. Doctor or nurse
    5. Lab scientist
    6. Police officer
    7. Animal control officer
    8. Janitor or plumber
    9. Sanitation worker (AKA garbage man/woman)
    10. Meat packer
    I think I'd add pest control workers to the list. Just think of those poor guys (and gals) crawling around in dark basements in search of rats. Ewww.
    Do you have a germy profession that you'd add to the list? A friend of mine is a librarian at a public library and she Purells her hands all day long. (Is Purell the best way to kill germs?)
    And, a quick side note about Purell, and all other alcohol-based hand sanitizers folks: These don't "breed" bacteria as many people fear (I've been seeing some comments to this extent on the blog, so I thought I'd speak up). It's easy to come to this conclusion given all the warnings from health experts about superbugs and how bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics, yada, yada, yada--but rest assured, hand sanitizing gels aren't the reason. These are alcohol based and don't contain any "antimicrobial" properties (most don't, anyway). It's antibacterial soaps and wipes that have some health experts worrying. The thought is that bacteria are becoming stronger and bolder as a result of our love-affair with antibacterial everything. So, Purel away--it just kills the bugs and doesn't make them grow bigger and stronger. And maybe read up on antibacterial soaps and products before using--just FYI.

No wonder I quit talking to that daycare worker that had the hots fo me;

two germs makes a disease!

Muwaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaa!!!!!!!

I sometimes question why on earth I do this job...but then I'm compared to what a doctor charges and kinda quells the notion that all is okay.

GERM!
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Top 10 germ-laden professions

Stop playing around on the internet and get some paperwork done!!!

(today I am finally catching up on office work)
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

it is my opinion that we need germs to survive.

it's also my opinion that if a cure for the common cold is ever found it will be the end of the human race.

i don't do the flu shot (something about chicken embryo fluid, aluminum, mercury, and one other heavy metal just doesn't sit well with me). i caught viral meningitis back in '90, the flu is a walk in the park for me.

i also don't use hand sanitizers, simple soap and water is good enough for me.

i read an article once about sickness and cleanliness. the study suggested that children that live in a not-so-clean house had fewer cases of sicknesses, allergies, and asthma.

also, meat eaters get sick less often.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying go and stick your head in the toilet to build up anti-bodies. but i do believe that we have become too sanitized as a species.

Vince

this will gross you out, in the old days if a person caught a really bad head cold, the inuit used to drink dog urine that had been filtered with snow. ammonia!!

Comment

great, today i did 2 separate jobs for 2 colon rectal surgeons

i shook their hands too.

i think i'm going to be sick

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry...had to.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otcVrKomXbk

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            great, today i did 2 separate jobs for 2 colon rectal surgeons

i shook their hands too.

i think i'm going to be sick

rick.
            rick,

what kind of pump would you call that??

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
              you owe me a monitor and a keyboard. i just spit a Dark & Diet all over mine and it's your fault

yes, it does give a different meaning to "18 holes a day"

too frreaking funny

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

i think this one takes the #1 slot

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  I actually have that song on my computer and listen to it every now and than just didn't know who sang it.
                  http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

Working...
                  X