X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber Companies

I've been told from a few people that the lumber companies are going to build homes in my area instead of builders due to consistent theft of materials.

Is this a normal thing across the states already?

I mean of course, you drop a load of wood and it sits for days, left unattended, it's going to walk off with the price of wood and its value.

I was talking to a buddy of mine tonight and I proposed an answer to fix this problem:

Aside from trusses, I think that the idea like P.O.D.S. would work in safeguarding the lumber, keeping it dry and holding those who have the access to it, responsible.

The storage would be like a trailer with an unmistakeable disconnecting hitch that would prevent any chance of someone backing up and taking off with it. The sidewalls would open up, made of a material that a simple sawzall couldn't chop a hole in it and steal the material.

No different than a job site trailer, just designed to protect the material from theft and damage.

If the same lumber company supplies windows and doors, they can switch trailers and know that materials are safe....and I'm not talking a roll-up door with a heavy lock...

it's got to be something that's almost impossible to break into...hell maybe even GPS controlled or activated by a monitoring system that only "certain" people can open when given permission to do so.

My buddy seems to think that hiring a full time, 24 hour security guard would be better and cheaper....I disagree totally.

If a house takes a minimum 90-210 days to build...do the math, now add up hours and realize how BORING that job would be.

I think trailers would work better, provide the answer for theft if it is done right.

I'm guessing...that's all.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Lumber Companies

I think instead of all that effort to make it so a sawzall can't cut through it would be better spent on a cellular connected alarm system.

Comment

I think you might see more & more prefabbing going on. I used to think prefab=crap. But now I'm starting to change my attitude towards it.

Truss manufacturers here have offered prefabbing walls & floor systems for some time but it hasn't really caught on.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        I think instead of all that effort to make it so a sawzall can't cut through it would be better spent on a cellular connected alarm system.

Exactly....same as the reference I made to GPS...something, anything to prevent the occurrence.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I think you might see more & more prefabbing going on. I used to think prefab=crap. But now I'm starting to change my attitude towards it.

Truss manufacturers here have offered prefabbing walls & floor systems for some time but it hasn't really caught on.

J.C.

True. Controlled climate, less shrinkage, less margin of error when done in a prefab situation. It's becoming more common in this area but some houses are so intertwined designed that I'm sure that some wouldn't fit that idea.

But for the average bilevel or ranch....standard box two story....it should be mandatory as I'd feel these lower income developments probably have the highest rate of theft issues.

But then again....the fellow that told me about this change is building homes for a builder that builds 2-500 thousand dollar homes.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Check out the latest build on This Old House. The builder is setup to build almost anything. While not everyone will be setup like that builder, I think more and more will go to this and it could be a good thing.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM.

Comment

We have thus far (thank god and fingers crossed) not seen the theft of materials and copper ripped out of houses that seems to plague other areas. We had a short lived rash of tool theft from jobsites about a year ago. The local cops ran down the culprits, sadly not literally, but still it is over for now. I am having to admit how blessed I am to live somewhere I can leave my shop door unlocked, leave my keys in the van, work on a job with the van unlocked doors wide open stuff littered in a trail from van to job and never worry. I think I'd have a rude and expensive awakening if I were to have to move back to the real world.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

As someone who delivered lumber to new home construction sites (years ago just out of HS) it is the buyers responsibility once its off the truck. Deliver a day or two early they might have a case. But if you tip the bed and dump the load on the scheduled delivery day its all on them to defend THEIR lumber, and pay for it whether its stolen or not.

And I remember seeing it happen too. Dropped a load of framing lumber off and the next day the builder is calling the dispatcher asking where his lumber is. Someone stole the whole load in less than 24 hours. This place was out in the boonies so no one around to see what happened. Nearest neighbor was over a 1/2 mile away and all heavy woods in between. He had to pay and wait for insurance settlement to replace what was lost. In the mean time he was out of pocket for the second order.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It would seem to me that a just-in-time system would work well on new construction. Just like is done with car manufacturers. That way a large amount of material is not left sitting on the jobsite. A scheduled delivery each day for what will be used would not be that hard to accomodate.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  It would seem to me that a just-in-time system would work well on new construction. Just like is done with car manufacturers. That way a large amount of material is not left sitting on the jobsite. A scheduled delivery each day for what will be used would not be that hard to accomodate.
                  funny, while I was reading Dunbars post I was thinking -just in time-

I could see some logistical trouble with that but not a bad idea. I think the trailor would be a big benefit, or an easy way to steal all the lumber at once. one of the builders I plumbed for would not cover my material unless it was installed. even on the finish with a locked house.

Comment

This would drive the costs up considerably, especially given todays fuel prices.

I would make 3 trips to each home in one development of a few hundred homes. 2 for framing lumber, and 1 for millwork. If it was a large home, >3500 sf say, it might be 4 trips due to the number of windows and doors. The development was about 17 miles from the yard, so I could make 3 trips in a 8 hr. day including loading the truck at the yard and travel time to and from the site. Most of the unloading I handled myself as most times there was no one on the job that day. They were busy framing the house down the street. For framing lumber was usually loaded on a dump-bed rig and the millwork was shipped in a 28 foot van to protect it from the WX.

Sometimes getting a staircase off and into the house was tricky if I couldn't get close to the house with the truck, but I worked out a few tricks and never damaged one. I did loose a stack of 75 sheets of expensive paneling off the back of the truck at a stop light one time though.

The lumber yard I worked at carried roofing materials and sheetrock, but most builders in the area bought those materials from other suppliers who specialized in them and had better prices.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Such a container already exists. I don't the right name for it but we call them "flat racks". Footprint of 8x20 and about 5 high. The doors are on the 20ft side. The military uses them for wood, 55 gal drums, any long materials etc.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

dunbar,

you mean something like this, only bigger, and human proof.

i saw this on tv the other night.

i figure this might inspire you.

Vince

bear proof on the outside, eskimo proof in the inside.

i got stuck in one and it was a week before somebody let me out.

Comment

Working...
                        X