Closing Guantanamo???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Guantanamo???

Did I hear correctly that the President Elect plans to close Guantanamo???

J.C.

Re: Closing Guantanamo???

I heard the same thing and I'm just guessing that he will do this to make some kind of statement against "torture", but I'll even if this happens he will soon understand the need for a similar facility. I'm not saying a place to torture , but a place to secure the enemy and question them. I'd like to ask those here who know more about this military base than I do, is it a strategic necessity? Do you think the troops are needed elsewhere? I still remember being in third grade and having all these new kids coming to class. They had escaped Cuba with just their lives, leaving behind homes and all other posessions. I know those folks will never forgive castro.

Comment

That was in his "Courtship Package"
      Now he says when it is time to he will

Comment

I too need more info from people like Gear. But the quick answer to me is that it seems like a "bad business decision".

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Did I hear correctly that the President Elect plans to close Guantanamo???

J.C.
          Yeah, I heard something about that too a couple days ago. I was just getting out of the truck and they were going over the news highlights on NPR. Didn't hear the full story though.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

My understanding is they want to send them to the Military prison in Leavenworth. This of course means they will fall under all of our laws and the ACLU will fight for them. They will have the right to a speedy trial (as they should) but they will be able to see the info against them and how it was obtained. Big security problem.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Yeah, I heard something about that too a couple days ago. I was just getting out of the truck and they were going over the news highlights on NPR. Didn't hear the full story though.
              I thought I heard in the background of the 60 Minutes interview.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                My understanding is they want to send them to the Military prison in Leavenworth. This of course means they will fall under all of our laws and the ACLU will fight for them. They will have the right to a speedy trial (as they should) but they will be able to see the info against them and how it was obtained. Big security problem.

Mark
                Is the plan to move prisoners? Or is the plan to move prisoners & decommission (close) the actual base?

I'm not sure he should "send a message" that U.S. is against torture. What I mean is make an effort to look good in the worlds eyes at the expense of security.

J.C.

Comment

Is the plan to move prisoners? Or is the plan to move prisoners & decommission (close) the actual base?
                  I can't imagine that Obama would close the base, just the camp within it.

Comment

I'm not sure he should "send a message" that U.S. is against torture. What I mean is make an effort to look good in the worlds eyes at the expense of security.

J.C.
                    I agree with you but in the land of "Freedom" and "Rights", I think we end up losing sight of the bigger issue of security. We have allowed defense lawyers to make a mockery of the legal system and often time work the system to free the guilty. Our soldiers wear uniforms, enemy combatants do not and therefore I don't see how they are entitled to a trial speedy or otherwise? I can appreciate Senator McCain's opposition to certain interrogation methods described as torture given the hell he has lived through, but there is a clear difference between his experience and what happened recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      I agree with you but in the land of "Freedom" and "Rights", I think we end up losing sight of the bigger issue of security. We have allowed defense lawyers to make a mockery of the legal system and often time work the system to free the guilty. Our soldiers wear uniforms, enemy combatants do not and therefore I don't see how they are entitled to a trial speedy or otherwise? I can appreciate Senator McCain's opposition to certain interrogation methods described as torture given the hell he has lived through, but there is a clear difference between his experience and what happened recently.
                      To take it one step further many say once they are freed they will have to be released here because if the go to the home countries they will be executed. I guess that will be okay as long as their kids are not into bomb belts.

There are just too many negatives to this idea.

Mark

Comment

J.C.
                        I'm sure it is just to move prisoners. According to the treaty which gave us the base, if we close it it goes back to Cuba. I don't see that happening.

Mark

Comment

I have heard about this, and while it pleases me that Obama wants to free prisoners of Guantanomo, I am worried about the dangereous individuals that will be released. I have heard about the closing, but I have not heard what safeguards Obama will put into place when doing so, and I have not heard Obama make any statements about this at all. I am sure we will have more details in the future.

It's all hear say, and hype until you hear barack obama personally tell his course of action for this plan.

Comment

my understanding is just the prison will be closed. but not sure about the detainees. the base will remain open so as not to loose it back to Cuba

steve
                            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fixitmom5x View Post
                              I have heard about this, and while it pleases me that Obama wants to free prisoners of Guantanomo, I am worried about the dangereous individuals that will be released. I have heard about the closing, but I have not heard what safeguards Obama will put into place when doing so, and I have not heard Obama make any statements about this at all. I am sure we will have more details in the future.

It's all hear say, and hype until you hear barack obama personally tell his course of action for this plan.

Uh, why would you be pleased that dangerous individuals will be released?
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X