Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone should watch this

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIn...897&affil=wfaa

It's about tires and how to figure out their age. It doesn't matter how much tread is on the tire, either. Kind of scary
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Everyone should watch this

Always amazes me when it comes to tires. I know people who drive high-end vehicles over 50 grand, and don't want to shell out for tires. Then again, I know one guy who blew an engine 'cause he couldn't keep up on his oil changes.

In Canada, at least in my neck of the woods, Costco is a premium tire retailer, nitrogen fill, the whole bit. Tires I bought there in August were made in March. They're so busy and sell so many tires - they stock mainly Michelin and BF Goodrich. Then again, do a little research and you know what the new model of tire is for the year.

Especially with winter tires, the new model year tire should be sure to be fresh.

Then again, people have to start taking responsibility for their lives and maintenance. When the only thing between you and death is four pieces of rubber, and you're screaming down the road at 80 miles an hour, you better know those tires are good.

How many times have you heard "Ehh....the car's too old for expensive tires." Funny, everybody goes fast on the highway whether their car is new or 20 years old. Don't just grab the cheapest set.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I agree with the message and the danger described in the story, but anyone who has sold tires for a living knows what the DOT code is and that the date code is part of the number. Its been there for many, many years. It was there in the 70s when I worked at a Goodyear store. It's been a requirement by the DOT to be imprinted on every tire for as long as I know. The story leads you to believe its some sort of cryptic code, not true at all. It's in a standard format used to date many products not just tires. Its not printed on the inside of the tire to hide it from consumers. It depends on which side you put out (WW or BW). Some people like the whitewall (or outlined white letters) showing, some like blackwalls. The DOT code also tells you who made the tire. Now don't ask me to remember all the different manufacturer codes, I used to know many of them on sight, but that was over 30 years ago. There used to be (and probably still is) a book published every year that shows every tire made, and all the information on it.
      • what sizes it comes in
      • who makes it (many are made by one of the big tire companies and sold under private labels or brand names the same as car batteries are. For example Goodyear made Kelly Springfield and a bunch of other name brands. Pep Boys may have been one but I don't remember for sure.
      • the tread design/pattern and an drawing showing the pattern
      • the tread and sidewall composition (number of plies or belts and the materials used)
      • load carrying capacities
      and a slew of other information.

I remember that we would hold sales to clear out old tires, but they weren't thought of as old as in not roadworthy, it was to make room for the next line of new and improved tires with better materials and tread patterns that hugged the road, etc. At least that's how we thought of them on the sales floor and in the shop. Maybe back in the corporate offices they were thinking of these sales as disposing of inventory that was ready to go bust, but no one I worked with did.

If we could not sell them before they were 2 years old they got sent back to someone but I don't know who ended up with them. I know we didn't keep them on the rack beyond two years. But that was the 70s, it was a different world. Tires never sat around in our shop. We sold hundreds of tires a month. I may have said it before here but 3 of us sold, mounted and balanced and installed 100 sets (thats four tires per set) of tires in one day (the 12 hours the shop was open). We were clearing out a line of fiberglass belted tires to make way for the steel belted tires coming in next month. 4 tires mounted and balanced and new valve stems for $99 any size, Beetle or Caddy or PU Truck, it didn't matter.

Oh, that's another thing ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get new valve stems when you get new tires, they go bad faster than the tires do. I don't care if they are free or cost $5 each, get them. I can't tell you how many bad valve stems I saw in all the tires I changed, maybe as many as 30% that were just a bump away from failing. I would show them to people and they would say NO, use the old ones. Then again I would see people come in and knew they needed them and couldn't afford them (they were $1 each back then) so I would accidentally break their stems and have to put new ones in for free (if the manager asked). I wasn't going to let someone go out with new tires that were just as likely to kill them because of a valve stem they couldn't afford. Thos that had the money and were too stupid to knwo when you were looking out for them well they made an informed decision and took their chances. The heat is what does them in, along with exposure to road salt, ozone, vehicle exhaust, and other stuff.

I think an expiration date for the sale of tires would not be a bad thing, but that limitation would have to give the consumer a reasonable time to extract some use out of the tire before it expires. So if the tire is deemed to be not roadworthy at say 6 years from date of manufacture, then the last date of sale should maybe be 24 months after the manufactured date.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 11-20-2008, 10:43 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

the Rubber used in tires to day is CRAP, plan and simple, I have had tires that were made in 1945 (my dad bought a planter jsut after WW2 one of the first after the war in our area), and it had the original tires on it until jsut a few years ago, I have a military 6x6 truck made in the 1953 and it still has 6 of the original tires on it and 2 1964 tires on it, two have been replaced by later tries, the fork lift has three of the original 1950 tires on it, or did un till this summer, my son punctured one and the replaced the two "front tires".
        For many years the machinery would come in with tires as they would use either 15" or 16" tires and running at low speeds a used tire off a truck or car would work jsut fine for many many years,
        but some time in the late 1970's eary1980's It appears to me they changed the formula on the tires, about the time they went to the metric measurements, and in the 90's I think it took another step down,

I have taken used tires off and put on machinery and normally with in three to five years the tires will fall apart even if not used, the tread will crack away and start to fall off, I have had tread come off of a cultivator at 5 mph, in soft sand.

but I had some tires on my mortar mixer and need to use it a month ago and the tires were good in tread (for used tires), but they would not hold air, I pulled it the shop and found a nice looking tire in the tire pile, put it on it had a big bulge on the side, I found one that had been a spare in a 1970's car, as it was a HR15 and it was nearly in perfect condition, the new crap will fall apart jsut setting, even the new farm machinery tires are junk, they fall apart in 5 to 7 years, used or not.

NOW you can not use these tires for highway use but if you want tires that will last for off road or slow moving equipment the tire for you is, http://www.noflats.com/index.html there made of natural rubber, they actually have side walls and tread plys, there are great tires, I have them on the pasture pickup, there were days I would end up fixing 4 flats in a day with nearly new light truck tires, on it after checking fence or cattle, but I put a set of these recycled retreaded aircraft tires on it, they have been on for nearly 5 years and are as good as the day I put them on, the only flat is do to valve stems problems they make them crap as well, I need to get the bolt in type stems, but I would suggest if you are interested in these tires, for OFF ROAD USE, get the bolt together rims as well, as to get on a standard rim will take one about 2 hrs of work, each, but there real tires, and you can over load them with out any fear of hurting the tires, (yes there rated for over 200 mph, and a 15" tire may be rated for over 10,000 pounds of weight, but that is for less than 2 miles of use at a time, at highway speed are to thick to dispute the heat for long periods), but make great off road use tires, and they last as there made of natural rubber.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for posting, glad I took the time to watch, very informative.

My wifes car is due for tires and I will keep this in mind when we get them. The last set we got at Wal mart only lasted a year but we didn't rotate them so we didn't get anything. I'm going to see how old they are now.

THANKS AGAIN!
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Thanks for posting, glad I took the time to watch, very informative.

My wifes car is due for tires and I will keep this in mind when we get them. The last set we got at Wal mart only lasted a year but we didn't rotate them so we didn't get anything. I'm going to see how old they are now.

THANKS AGAIN!
            If Costco is near you, it's well worth the membership just for the tires. Their warranty is the best I've seen.

I replaced a set this summer - didn't have my original receipt, tires were almost 3 years old, they just took a thread depth and gave me a 40 percent credit on the new tires.

I'm on my 4th set from them in the last 11 years or so, and I am VERY happy with the service at Costco regarding tires.

Then again, your area choices may vary from mine.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

It must not be that common. out of 1 car 1 van and 2 trucks the oldet tire I found was 5yrs and those are on a 88 plow truck.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

No Costco here

we do have Sams club's 50mi north or 50mi south, take your pick

Comment

Great Thread and responses! Our lives ride on tires and they should never be ignored, once they are 1/2 worn they are really in need of replacement. Occassionally I'll point out tires worn down to the fabric to another driver, maybe it will save a life?

Comment

Super informative thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X