X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary economy

I held off buying a new Makita kit today, things have really slowed down. Am I the only one holding onto my wallet here or are there others feeling the same way? I want to buy some tools (who dosen't ) and help stimulate the economy. Chime in here and state your thoughts, thanks.

Re: Scary economy

I think if you need the tools for your job, then buy them and stop thinking about the economy. If you are really concerned about the future then try and put some money aside to hold yourself over. Personal security is different for everyone and you have to do what puts you mind at ease. I keep a few hundered in cash at home in case the banks go nutty and I always have plenty of food on hand just in case something really drastic happens and delays deliveries to the food stores. Try not to think about the economy too much, it will only bring you down. Enjoy your family, friends and work. People have gotten through more difficult times and this will pass also.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I think if you need the tools for your job, then buy them and stop thinking about the economy. If you are really concerned about the future then try and put some money aside to hold yourself over. Personal security is different for everyone and you have to do what puts you mind at ease. I keep a few hundered in cash at home in case the banks go nutty and I always have plenty of food on hand just in case something really drastic happens and delays deliveries to the food stores. Try not to think about the economy too much, it will only bring you down. Enjoy your family, friends and work. People have gotten through more difficult times and this will pass also.
      Thank you Frankiarmz,
      I know your are correct, I do many of the things you've stated too. Guess I have become one of those who listens to the news and shouldn't (or at least ignore it a bit). I know we'll pull out of his slump and be the better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Brie View Post
        I held off buying a new Makita kit today, things have really slowed down. Am I the only one holding onto my wallet here or are there others feeling the same way? I want to buy some tools (who dosen't ) and help stimulate the economy. Chime in here and state your thoughts, thanks.
        I've been trying to stick to my budget a bit better for the last few months.

Comment

Obama: 'Millions of jobs' in danger next year

It seems that this situation is only affecting a small percentage of americans because all I see in my area is packed restaurants, movie theaters, shopping like there's no tomorrow at these malls.

Walmart is up 10% in sales

McDonald's Dollar menu sales up 8%

My sales have dropped, don't get the easy calls like I used to years ago.

Now, everyone is improvising and letting their brother or neighbor get them by.

I'll say one thing:

Those who work for others have it tough right now because everyone is tightening up in the workforce and that can create job stress really quick.

You can definitely tell that elective spending hasn't stopped yet.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I was planning on cutting back on some luxuries. Maybe drop to basic cable and drop my Satellite radio subscription. But I just can't bring myself too do it. I may still drop the cable to basic, but I am addicted to Satellite radio. My unit broke in my van, so I got a taste of regular radio again and it makes me sick!!! I am renewing my Sirius subscription and getting my radio fixed ASAP!

I have also been spening money like crazy in my business. As many of you plumbers here know, I spent over $15,000 in tools in the last few months. (most of it on a seesnake setup and locator).
            I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm a tightwad when it comes to spending money on myself....and for years I've wanted satellite radio.

I'm still waiting for satellite radio to be without a contract, the last thing I want is another recurring monthly payment which I hate!

Comment

I happen to be heavily invested in Sirius, real smart move. Got in when it was $6.00 a share and lucky me it's at $0.15 now! My budget was tight before the economy took a downturn so I don't know where else to cut back? I'm concerned but it does no good to worry and I try not to watch the News because it's not encouraging. I don't want to sound old fashioned but I think our families look to us for reassurance, so I think it's best to keep my doubts about the economy to myself or share them with other grown men. We keep hearing that things will get worse before they get better, so we might as well do our best to roll with the punches. I hope all you folks stay above water until this trouble is behind us and we can write about happy, funny things more often.

Comment

If you are watching your budget, stay away from satellite radio, its addictive. Once you've had it, you will never be able to listen to regular radio again without feeling nauseous. I warned you all, 100% commercial-free satellite radio is like crack-cocaine! I have 130 channels to chose from, no commercials or BS. Its audio heaven.
                  We have two units and it cost about $20/month. I can't give itup just to save a measly $20. I just can't justify listening to regular commercial-filled FM crap-radio ever again.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I just can't justify listening to regular commercial-filled FM crap-radio ever again.[/quote]

What you said! I have a close friend who is the sales & marketing manager of our local (commercial-filled) FM station. At times, I can drive for 8-11 minutes and hear nothing but commercials (I timed it only once). Sadly, there is no more art in broadcast radio.

Comment

FM is the new AM

Comment

I've done radio advertising before, and it actually works........just so damn expensive.

I just cheat and sponsor events like the local fairs and they plug my company on the country music stations that way.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Brie View Post
                          I just can't justify listening to regular commercial-filled FM crap-radio ever again.
                          What you said! I have a close friend who is the sales & marketing manager of our local (commercial-filled) FM station. At times, I can drive for 8-11 minutes and hear nothing but commercials (I timed it only once). Sadly, there is no more art in broadcast radio. [/QUOTE]

I remember having only AM radio and it was a blast. Now there is so much to choose from that I don't listen to any radio. On cable tv I can listen to uninterrupted music from the 90's to oldies and everything in between all day. I can download any song from the Internet and make my own CD's . Technology has advanced so fast from my stand point that it's difficut to keep up with it at times. I remember listening to records as a kid and watching black and white tv, then before I knew it we were recording on cassettes and then tv programs on VHS tapes. You really can't appreciate the many format changes and control we have over our music and video unless you lived through it all. People used to depend on pay phones and now almost all of us carry these tiny cell phones with camera and video features. Amazing.

Comment

I am in retail sales now--mattresses. It's odd, traffic in the store is like traffic on the freeway, makes no sense. Our company is doing very well in comparison to others in the industry, but some of the manufacturers, Simmons in particular is in a bit of trouble.

I am smack in the center of Obama country so we saw a HUGE surge right after the election. Unlike many of the other areas around the country people are feeling more confident to get the republicans out of office, and the immediate SF bay area, not the greater Bay Area by any means, is it's own mini economy. Our housing prices inflated and deflated for certain, but not nearly the swing everywhere around us.

This week things went down a bit, but I think it may have to do more with people anticipating Black Friday prices than the economic news.

All in all, knock on wood, I am doing very well in the new job even in this market. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it is still in the air at the moment. I have also been preforming very well though too. I hit the ground running and am #1 in profit for the company since I went on commission so others may not be feeling as steady about it as I am.

I feel like it may get worse, but until it does I'm just going to keep on trucking.

Eli

PS Anyone who needs a bed around here will get the Ridgid family hook up from me, and that isn't to solicit business, I really will take care of y'all. PM me if you are in need.
                            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Check this out. <http://www.tropicalglen.com/>

Comment

Working...
                              X