X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hunting

I look forward to turkey hunt camp each and every year in down state IL.

We hunt turkey all day and have beers and all kinds of food later in the day. What a great time!!!

Freshly killed and cooked over an open fire on a stick is the best!
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      One of my favorite things in the World to do is to hunting. Over the years I have done a bunch of different types of hunting and some I liked more than others but overall I liked them all. I thought I would start this thread to let everyone share their experiences, good or bad, with different types of hunting.

Mark
      You know, I have never been hunting

I would like to one day, but I had a big family first..

Do you mind me asking at what age you started hunting?
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
        You know, I have never been hunting

I would like to one day, but I had a big family first..

Do you mind me asking at what age you started hunting?
        What do you consider a big family. I was 26-years old when we had our 6th kid.

I met my wife in High School and one of the things which attracted me to her was the fact her father went Deer hunting. Of course once we got married he never went again. As such I was totally on my own to find hunting buddies. Brenda bought me a Ruger 10/22 for our first Christmas which was no good for hunting but it was fun to plink. When I was 22-years old I met a young kid behind the counter of a supply house who had hunted all of his life. We started out just bird hunting but I really enjoyed it. Today, 34-years later we still talk at least once a week and I was the best man at his wedding. Then when I was 25-years old the President of a big Property Management company asked me to drive his group dove hunting as they all had 2-seaters and we had a station wagon. He ended up being the one who I did my first deer hunt with at the age of 26. He ended up being my partner in a bunch of businesses over the year but today he teaches math (his passion) to kids in a "rough" (also his passion) school.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Got any Cabelas catalogs laying around???

J.C.
          I'm trying not to thread drift so I will reply in Hunting Thread.

Mark
          Cabelas is without a doubt one of my favorite stores. I try to stop there whenever I can but I am not sure if I have one of their catalogs laying around. Funny story about Cabela catalogs, the first catalog they offered for guided hunts came to the house and Brenda was thumbing through it to see what they had to offer. All of a sudden she finds a picture of me with an Elk I shot in Northern Utah during a guided hunt. The funny part was Cabelas had nothing to do with the hunt and it was a meat bull more than a trophy bull. All we could figure was Cabelas hired this guide as a sub-contractor after my hunt and I must have been the only client who got an Elk that year. When Cabelas asks them for a photo all he had was the one of my hunt.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-30-2008, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I was nine when I got my first gun, a .410 single shot shotgun winchester, at ten I had a .22 rifle savage, and a .22 pistol colt pre woodsman. still have all of them.

G3

Comment

I love to deer hunt the most. I hunt squirell and dove too. I killed my first deer (four point buck) when I was in my early teens. I was shooting a borrowed 20 guage single shot shotgun. I have yet to kill that tropy buck everyone hunts for. My goal is to one day go to Pike County, IL to hunt those monster bucks. Good luck to everyone this hunting season.

Comment

One of my friends will shoot right in front of a rabbit with a 22 and the round going off makes them faint. He'll walk up to them and break their neck. No bullet holes.

I like bowhunting, never fired a gun till I joined the military.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What do you consider a big family. I was 26-years old when we had our 6th kid.

I met my wife in High School and one of the things which attracted me to her was the fact her father went Deer hunting. Of course once we got married he never went again. As such I was totally on my own to find hunting buddies. Brenda bought me a Ruger 10/22 for our first Christmas which was no good for hunting but it was fun to plink. When I was 22-years old I met a young kid behind the counter of a supply house who had hunted all of his life. We started out just bird hunting but I really enjoyed it. Today, 34-years later we still talk at least once a week and I was the best man at his wedding. Then when I was 25-years old the President of a big Property Management company asked me to drive his group dove hunting as they all had 2-seaters and we had a station wagon. He ended up being the one who I did my first deer hunt with at the age of 26. He ended up being my partner in a bunch of businesses over the year but today he teaches math (his passion) to kids in a "rough" (also his passion) school.

Mark
                  oK, WELL .... I had my 6th kid by 30 , and I am now 35 , guess I am falling behind, although I didn't get lucky and find a hunting buddy

I will though have to look at some local forums, maybe I can find a hunting buddy
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

oK, WELL .... I had my 6th kid by 30 , and I am now 35 , guess I am falling behind, although I didn't get lucky and find a hunting buddy

I will though have to look at some local forums, maybe I can find a hunting buddy
                    i hear dick cheney is looking for a new hunting buddy

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Perhaps one day we can go hunting together.

Mark

Comment

how about coming early to the next roundup

i know josh is a country boy

i'm riding shotgun

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I got into hunting late, but it's become one of my favorite things to do. I pretty much just hunt deer. I usually always go to our 10-day deer camp in the blue ridge, but this year I got a really bad cold and stayed home. The gang just got back yesterday. I feel displaced, and I hate having missed camp! I did get some time on Saturday at a friend's farm. Saw 8 turkeys (!!!) one of which at least was a Tom. I had him in my scope for a good 15 minutes or so. I just didn't see the purpose of taking the shot with a .30-06. I'd rather have something to eat than a pile of feathers.

I was up on the stand about 18' up. The turkeys were all down to my right about 75 yds or so. They made a racket! Every time I knew for sure there was a HUGE deer coming through. The deer, a small doe, finally came in to the clearing from my left. I scoped her a bit and waited for something a little bigger to come out, but she was the only deer I saw. She finally eyeballed me and hightailed it for the brush. So no deer this year, but still it was a great day in the woods. Any time you get the chance to hang out in the woods like that is a good time.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've killed too many animals with what I eat and what I wear, so I refrain from killing them for sport.

I'd kill in a second to survive though, I've eyeballed my dog's legs a couple times when I ran out of cheese puffs and the stores were closed.

"Dems good eatins!"
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                              I got into hunting late, but it's become one of my favorite things to do. I pretty much just hunt deer. I usually always go to our 10-day deer camp in the blue ridge, but this year I got a really bad cold and stayed home. The gang just got back yesterday. I feel displaced, and I hate having missed camp! I did get some time on Saturday at a friend's farm. Saw 8 turkeys (!!!) one of which at least was a Tom. I had him in my scope for a good 15 minutes or so. I just didn't see the purpose of taking the shot with a .30-06. I'd rather have something to eat than a pile of feathers.

I was up on the stand about 18' up. The turkeys were all down to my right about 75 yds or so. They made a racket! Every time I knew for sure there was a HUGE deer coming through. The deer, a small doe, finally came in to the clearing from my left. I scoped her a bit and waited for something a little bigger to come out, but she was the only deer I saw. She finally eyeballed me and hightailed it for the brush. So no deer this year, but still it was a great day in the woods. Any time you get the chance to hang out in the woods like that is a good time.

I can't say it enough, but be careful in those tree stands. I've heard of so many people change their lives forever falling out of those stands.

A friend from years ago fell out of one and he's wheelchair bound. It won't be long before his passing because half his body is literally dying, trying to fall off. It's so disturbing to just hear about his recent condition. He's lost toes, then feet, now legs and he's running out of parts to cut off now.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Tree stands ARE dangerous!! No doubt about it. I'm paranoid about them, and that fear factor results in what is to some probably some very silly things. I unload my gun before I tie it on. Seems silly, but why take the chance? Gravity makes the pointy end aim up at you. Staring down a barrel is bad enough. At least I can take that extra precaution to completely unload the gun. Nothing in the chamber, noting in the magazine. Bullets are in the backpack, which gets lowered down separately. It helps to have two ropes or one REAL long one, btw! Either way, unload your gun. This was a ladder stand which is a bit more safe than my normal climber stand. Even so, there's danger at every movement. You never want to do anything fast when hunting anyway, so think out how you're going to shift your weight first, and pay attention while doing so. Every modern tree stand has a safety bar...USE IT! Use the safety straps. I swear...if you have this equipment and don't use it cause you're afraid your friends will think you're somehow silly.....you are dumber than a bag of hammers! Who cares what they think??? When you're up in a tree with a loaded weapon...there is no such thing as too safe.
                                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X