• Show
Clear All

Re: Hunting

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i hear dick cheney is looking for a new hunting buddy

rick.

haha .....yea , he prolly is

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Perhaps one day we can go hunting together.

Mark
    Really?, Nice, yea we will seriously have to plan something for next hunting season for sure , that would be cool

Do they have any seasons near the round-up date ?..or was someone just kidding about planning hunting trip before the round up ,

BTW - when is the next round up ......sorry my ADD is all over the place today
    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Not really a hunting issue, but related. As I was looking up game bird recipes a question occured to me. Will metal detectors work on non-ferrous metals, eg bird shot? Nothing ruins the taste of a partridge faster than chomping down on a piece of shot and chipping a tooth.

-Tom

Comment

No...metal detectors don't find lead shot. They now make steel shot for hunting birds, and it's required in many states to use that (safer for the environment and all). The steel shot will be found by a metal detector. Also, a magnet will help pull it out!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I was just too uncomfortable in the climbing stand that I bought to use it. I climbed a tree once, got the gun up, loaded it, waited about 5 minutes, got back down and said that it wasn't for me.

Comment

I've been deer hunting twice 3 years ago, but haven't gone since my son was born. My Dad and I went up to my Uncle's property upstate for 3 days the first time, and then I went to some state land on Long Island for a few hours near my house. The first time was a lot of fun, just spending a few days out in the woods. Unfortunately, I was pretty sick the second time; so just couldn't get into it.

I wouldn't mind sitting on my deck with a bow & arrow. I've seen several bucks the last few weeks. I don't know if what the hunting opportunities in Westchester are though.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
              No...metal detectors don't find lead shot. They now make steel shot for hunting birds, and it's required in many states to use that (safer for the environment and all). The steel shot will be found by a metal detector. Also, a magnet will help pull it out!

All waterfowl has required steel shot since 1991. Because waterfowl is governed on a National basis it is required in all States. I'm not sure of the others State by State with other birds but my guess is they will all move to steel if they have not already.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

VA Sandy and ToUtahNow,

Thank you for the info. I began skinning and using roaster bags a number of years ago, no more plucking birds for me, and the shot is easy to find without the skin on. But did wonder about the metal detector.

CPW,
                1.) Want to sell your tree stand?

2.) If you would like an archery lesson I am willing to swing down. My in-laws lived in Westchester, my father-in-law was in real estate. He used to take me to some of his listed properties just to see the deer. Holy Cow! You sure have plenty of them there.

Westchester County, Wildlife Management Unit 3S, is bow-only hunting. The season is Oct. 18 thru Dec. 31. The problem is land access.

If you are interested in going hunting again let me know. I have bow hunted only for a long time. If you are interested in archery I can hook you up in the Albany area. If you prefer firearms, my brother has a hunting camp in Cambridge, NY, near the Vermont border. I will dust off a rifle and we can go there for a day, week or the entire season for that matter.
                A cautionary note about the deer camp - apparently lots of cigar smoke in the camp and, I suspect, it would not be too difficult to find alcohol. I have only been there during the summers and it is beautiful.
                -Tom

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  I was just too uncomfortable in the climbing stand that I bought to use it. I climbed a tree once, got the gun up, loaded it, waited about 5 minutes, got back down and said that it wasn't for me.
                  Off topic :

That reminds me of this time I was cutting down this tree, I climbed 120 ft up, topped it and then climbed back down and had the other climber take the rest down,

Sometimes for me at least , when I reach a certain limit, I start seeing my life flash,

Like you, I also know when its time to "call it"

Thanks for sharing that Honest story though, not to many people would have admitted to that , that makes you swell in my book
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

By the way, when you site in your rifle it is important the target is steady and you have a good spotter.

Mark

Attached Files
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ever been Coon hunting with a bunch of Good ol' Boys on shine? It's an experience.

J.C.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by toutahnow View Post
                        by the way, when you site in your rifle it is important the target is steady and you have a good spotter.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                          2.) If you would like an archery lesson I am willing to swing down.
                          Tom,

Thank you for the generous offer. I think that now with the kids, unfortunately I really don't have time to put the skills to use.

My in-laws lived in Westchester, my father-in-law was in real estate. He used to take me to some of his listed properties just to see the deer. Holy Cow! You sure have plenty of them there.
                          I'll have to post the picture I took this morning from my deck. There were three of 'em, and I've seen at least 5-6 of them in my yard at once (and I only have half an acre).

Westchester County, Wildlife Management Unit 3S, is bow-only hunting. The season is Oct. 18 thru Dec. 31. The problem is land access.
                          I suspect as much. I need to do a little bit of research on the land access. In Brookhaven where I grew up, IIRC the rule was if you had 5 acres they would let you hunt on your own land (or let others). Otherwise, you needed to get a DEC permit for a conservation area. Suffolk actually has a special firearms season in January, after the bow season; in which you can use a shotgun or muzzle loader.

Comment

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-who-shot-him/
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              I'll have to post the picture I took this morning from my deck. There were three of 'em, and I've seen at least 5-6 of them in my yard at once (and I only have half an acre).
                              Finally unloaded the camera today.
                              Attached Files

Comment

A doe and two yearlings. Exceptionally serene. That picture would be nice as a greeting card.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X