X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hunting

I was looking for some stuff I had put away and found an article about one of my Alaskan hunting trips. I am not sure if you can read the article but you should be able to see the Caribou I shot.

Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,

Great article and picture. It sounds like an exciting adventure.

The question for me is how do you manage to get away for that long? While I have often considered an Alaskan hunt, African Safari etc I can't seem to break my mindset of working. I generally hunt within a few minutes drive from my house. I hunt in the morning and again in the afternoon. Not because game animals are supposed to be moving more then, but because I have so much work to do I feel guilty hunting when I could be working. The same holds for paddling. I kayak for a few hours in the morning and then the guilt starts to creep in and I want to get back to work. I have taken three vacations, gone to a specific destination, in 40 years.

Tom

Comment

Tom,

It's a true commitment and you just have to decide you are going to do it. My boys were getting older and I knew I was running out of time to take trips like this with them. Jared was stationed in Alaska so it made it easier to have him locate charter companies to hire for the flight out to the tundra. The trips are planned one year in advance so I work as many hours as I could for the entire year (including weekends) so I didn't feel bad about taking the time. I have an after-bay close by and a truck that had a kayak on top 24/7. I would get up at 4:30 AM and spend an hour on the treadmill. I would be in the water by 6:00 AM and spend an hour on the water. I would stop by our shop at 7:30 AM and make sure they guys had what they needed and then I would go home and get ready for the day. After work I would come home late have dinner and do another hour on the treadmill.

It's not that the hunt took this much out of you but what I learned is there is no one to help you on the tundra. I felt I needed to be ready for the unexpected. Typically on a 10-day hunt you don't see another person until a few hours before you reach your pickup point. Between hunts I also took a bunch of Wilderness Medical and Survival classes and read everything I could find about hunting in Alaska. In addition to the hunt time it took two days prior to the hunt to prepare equipment and buy supplies and two days after the hunt to prepare things to ship home and drop the meat off. However, after it was all said and done, not counting airfare to Anchorage and a couple of nights in a hotel the hunt for me and one of my sons to do a 10-day self guided Alaskan hunt cost around $5,000 total. It was some of the best money I have ever spent. Now my boys are older and it is tough for them to get away. I still hope to take one last trip but we will have to see what happens.

Mark

Comment

The Alaskan Hunt was a great one. By the way I am Marks son that went on the 10 day hunt. I highly recommend it to anyone that can make the time and put forth the effort to do it. I got my first big game on a hunt to Alaska, not quite the size of my dads, but a good animal for a starter. I think more of the Alaskan hunt for anybody is with a camera more than a rifle.
          Believe Newton

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

When in doubt go with Murphy

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Comment

Hi Jon it is nice to see you stop by. Did you stop by just to tease Rick about beating him?

Dad (Mark)

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Hi Jon it is nice to see you stop by. Did you stop by just to tease Rick about beating him?

Dad (Mark)
              careful about telling everyone your son beat me don't want to start another riot

but if i was going to get beat, i'm glad it was your son and not your son in law larry

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Dad (Mark)
                No. I thought he stopped by to nominate your thread?

Jon do a search for "tramp stamp". You will never look at your dad the same again
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Thought I'd post an update. I did get a deer from my friend's property this year. Just a little button-buck, but he's pretty tasty! Wasn't in the tree stand, as it had already been taken down. This was on the next to last day of the season. One shot from the .30-06 put him on the ground. There was no runnin around for the little fella after that! The guy in the picture is a friend that was on the hunt with us. He gave me the doe that he got that day, so I got lots of venison now! MMMMmmmmmmm venison pizza!!

On a side note, I managed to clean my deer myself....before the guys got there to help me!
                  Attached Files
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I just stopped by to make sure I didnt hurt Ricks feelings. I know he is a delicate rose and in his old age I didnt want Joey to have to deal with the problems I may have created. Not to swipe the Hunting post though.

Hunting is great for anyone who has the time, gumpsion, and ability to get out there and get their hands dirty. Based on the type of forum this is, most people here must be used to dirty hands, therefore hunting is perfect. I encourage all to participate in it atleast once.
                    Believe Newton

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyLaw View Post
                      I just stopped by to make sure I didnt hurt Ricks feelings. I know he is a delicate rose and in his old age I didnt want Joey to have to deal with the problems I may have created. Not to swipe the Hunting post though.

Hunting is great for anyone who has the time, gumpsion, and ability to get out there and get their hands dirty. Based on the type of forum this is, most people here must be used to dirty hands, therefore hunting is perfect. I encourage all to participate in it atleast once.
                      no feelings were hurt

i think i qualified for a ride along

based on adams driving, he should be easy to hunt down/ catch

most people here are already use to dirthands post

back to hunting

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rabbit hunting was how I started, we got paid as kids to clear the fields. Then at nights we would go back out to bag raccoons and skunks. I also use to go out to do cattle round up's ride outer protection for the herd.

Comment

skunks, now I understand the smell
                          Believe Newton

Comment

I enjoy any kind of hunting. It gives of guys our much needed time. I enjoy the camp out evenings as much as the actual hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyLaw View Post
                              skunks, now I understand the smell
                              And you were blaming poor Rick all night

We love your avatar!
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Hunting season is coming up. Here in Oregon the bow elk season starts the end of this month. If I get one I will post some pics. Then I am going rifle hunting for deer in October in Central Oregon. I also bear and cougar hunt and if I can find them I go turkey hunting in the fall or spring. I do some mountain grouse and quail hunting if I have the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X