X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hunting

So I am back from my elk hunting trip. I didn't get anything, I didn't even see an elk until yesterday morning. I shot at a 6*6 bull at 60yrds with my single cam bowtech patriot compound bow. I missed because I didn't account that I was shooting up hill. After five days in a tree stand you get a little antsy. It was a lot of fun. Most importantly I got to hang out with my brother and my dad and that's one of the main reasons why I went. I am not done yet though I will be going out over the weekends when I have time.

Comment

I just came upon this thread - good idea/start, Mark.

I've just recently got into hunting, starting last fall. I've always been around guns for most of my adult life, and childhood too. When I was growing up in rural Ontario in the 80's (I'm a 70's baby), most people hunted/fished/etc. Our old neighbours especially exposed me to it - they hunted all the time, and were actually a little bit on the unsafe side of being "gun nuts". My dad, nor anyone else in my family, were really into hunting at all - it was all about fishing. My dad did have a shotgun in the house, for use as needed for errant foxes, wolves, rabbits, and/or the occasional male cardinals that would bang into windows in the early mornings, trying to fight their own reflections.

Then, everything changed in Ontario (and Canada) in the 90's. With the string of school shootings in the U.S. and Canada, everyone became overly frightened/focused on guns in Canada. It isn't an enshrined right in our constitution (unlike in the U.S.), and rather it's considered a priveledge instead (which, ironically, I actually rather like our perspective on this). So, we now have our gun registry with all of it's respective red tape, and "big brother" knows when you buy a gun, and how many guns you have, and where you keep them, etc., etc. Which sucks, but it does have it's benefits.

I don't use my guns for ill use, so I have no problems with the registry. Those that follow the rules, and always intend to, don't have an issue with them. However, it is a little bit ridiculous in that the rules of our gun registry really does seem to put a spotlight on farmers, per say, who have a shotgun or two to use on their farm for varmints, etc. The issue that we have up here is that billions have been spent on this system, and it doesn't help the flow of illegal guns coming across the border. Yes, just as we ship out our marijuana down to the 'States, the open gun purchasing laws in the 'States leads to lots of illegal handgun smuggling up to Canada.

Ironically, it actually isn't illegal to have a handgun in Canada, as much as the perspective of this is there. But we do have rules on handgun possession/storage/use/etc. - no handguns for hunting, only in home storage or at a gun club/range, no public carrying/concealing of it, etc.

So, hunting. I have a couple of shotguns and a rifle (with plans/hopes to get more). I started hunting last year, because I had to have my firearms permit for other work reasons, so I figured I'd get my hunting licence/certifications anyways - heck, why not? I've been fishing and into the outdoors and search & rescue/survival stuff for years, so it was a natural extension for me. And, I love it. I've only been out deer hunting, turkey hunting, and some small game plinking. I have yet, and plan on doing this fall, to get out for some pheasant hunting, as well as duck hunting. Hopefully some moose hunting will develop for next year.

But what I love is the connection with our culture and heritage. Hunting is almost more of a cultural part of Canada than it is for the U.S. We still have such vast expanses of undisturbed wilderness. It's only in the small percentage of our country that is urban-rich, that the population seems to have a more negative impression of hunting and gun use.

Just the same as with fishing or farming your own food/vegetables, there's just such a sense of accomplishment and pride associated with getting your own food. To clean and prepare a meal yourself, with your own skills and talents, rather than to go to a Wal-Mart and buy a ready-made dinner.

[Long post, I know. Sorry.]

Now, that would be an idea for a future Ridgid RoundUp. To do a Ridgid Forum hunting party - do a group trip to a pheasant reserve, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        Now, that would be an idea for a future Ridgid RoundUp. To do a Ridgid Forum hunting party - do a group trip to a pheasant reserve, or something like that.
        Now that's a great idea but Rosie won't be hunt ready until next year.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Now that's a great idea but Rosie won't be hunt ready until next year.

Mark
          Well, sounds good to me. If your Alaskan hunt took a year to plan, we can gladly use a year to plan for next fall.

After reading through all of this thread, I don't know about Rick doing a ride-along. I have a funny feeling that he'd try to one-up all the drunks that you try to get to do a roadside test.

If the RoundUp is in the fall next year, depending on the timeline, Peelee Island here in Ontario has an amazing pheasant hunt. It's a ferry ride across from Ohio in Lake Erie.

I'm not sure if there would be something else down your guys' way for a group hunt. I'd definitely be game for that - just getting into it, I want to take as many opportunities as I can to hunt for all types of eatable game (rather than just simple baddies! ).

It might be something for a plan. Depends on how well I get along with all of you troublemakers at the RoundUp. Who knows - four days with some characters could be enough for a lifetime.

Comment

So far this year I have had a hard time finding the elk. According to the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation this year was supposed to be a good year because numbers where up. However I have been having a hard time finding them even when I was scouting preseason. I did see four cows last weekend but no bulls. I am going out tomorrow again and I will see what happens.

Comment

So my early season bow hunting trip was unsuccessful but I had some really fun hunts and got to spend time with my father and brother and some really great guys.

Rifle season starts Saturday, so I am going out for central Oregon mule deer. I drew a tag for a unit that only offers 500 tags and so my whole party gets to go which is about 13 guys. I leave Friday and will be back Wednesday and will post some pictures. Success rate is 90% for this unit. Two years ago one of the guys in our group shot a non-typical 8*9, for you east coast guys that's a 17 pointer. I am going after the big one this year, I hope.

Comment

Sounds good. Good luck. I am still waiting to hear if I drew a tag for our regions shotgun hunt for deer during the first week of December. I have a tag for the bow hunt, which goes from now until the end of the year practically, but it's the shotgun hunt that's got the big wait. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Sounds good. Good luck. I am still waiting to hear if I drew a tag for our regions shotgun hunt for deer during the first week of December. I have a tag for the bow hunt, which goes from now until the end of the year practically, but it's the shotgun hunt that's got the big wait. Fingers crossed.

So what is your bag limit there on deer and have you ever hunted sheep up there? Also your hunting white tails right?

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                    So what is your bag limit there on deer and have you ever hunted sheep up there? Also your hunting white tails right?
                    Yes, whitetails, and our "bag limit" per say varies. All of Ontario is split up into 120 or so WMUs (Wildlife Management Units), with some "a's" and "b's". For example, I think our highest numbered WMU is 96, but there's 93A and 93B, stuff like that.

For our tag system, each region varies, whether there is even a hunt allowed or not, and if there is, the regions vary on firearms allowed (some bow only weeks [which includes crossbows], some shotgun and muzzleloader weeks, and some rifle weeks). Generally, everything in southwestern Ontario (from Toronto and Algonquin Park, on south) is only seasons with bows and shotguns - no rifles allowed.

For my area and zone, there's a bowhunting season from the end of September through until the end of December basically, with a shotgun & muzzleloader season during the 3rd week of November and the 1st week of December. If you get picked in the draw for any of these (it's based on a lottery system) then you're given a tag for either an antlered deer only, or a tag for either antlered or antlerless (varies on the season, firearms, WMUs, etc.). If you get your catch, and there are more tags available, then you can go to the local office and buy another, on a first come first served basis. Usually, for the shotgun weeks, there's 400 applicants for our region/county, but only 200 tags or so; so if you want another tag for that, it isn't happening, you're just lucky you won the lottery for that one. But for the 3-month bowhunting window, there's usually only 170 or so applicants, with 350 tags or so. So, if you fill your tag early, you can go and try and get another if there's still some left.

It's a very regulated and heavily monitored system. I do like it this way myself though, even though I have to go through all these headaches myself as a newer hunter. Everything's set up with safety the first priority, and herd integrity and self-sustainment being right up there tied for importance.

We don't have sheep or anything like that around here (Dall's sheep is what you mean, right?) Sheep and all that is more in the Rocky Mountains, way out west in B.C. and Alberta. Here in Ontario, it's whitetail deer in the south, with deer, moose, and black bear being the big game in more northern parts of Ontario. Way up 22-24 hour drive north, you start getting into far northern Canada, Hudson's Bay area, with caribou, more moose, etc. For small game in southwestern Ontario, we have the typical varmints (raccoon, squirrel, skunk, etc.), with coyotes making a big resurgence again. We also have lots of pheasant, grouse, great waterfowl hunting, and wild turkey making a big comeback again (we now have both spring and fall hunts for these, only 10 years ago we started with a fall hunt again, after these were all hunted out of Ontario decades ago). In a few years, we should be able to have full-on elk hunting again in eastern Ontario - the elk have been getting reintroduced in the Ottawa region after being wiped out also a few decades back; in another decade or so, elk should be as good-to-go as our deer hunting here again. Our wildlife management is really ahead of the crowd now - excellent sustainment and management programs are in place.

Sorry for the rambling post.
                    Last edited by canucksartech; 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM. Reason: Corrections.

Comment

Our bow season opened today for white tails
                      Its still to hot and to many skeeters for me
                      I let my son go this morning....all he saw was a coyote
                      its still early

Comment

Got back a little early, I for you hunters you know what that means. I got my deer, it was bitter sweet. It's a nice buck but I shot the wrong one. I saw several bucks and one really nice one that I wanted to take. When I stalked them I spooked them and ran into the one I thought I wanted and took him but when I found him I realized it wasn't as big as the one I saw earlier. I am happy with it and am thinking about next year all ready. I will post some pictures later. Right now I am to tired. I hiked 35 miles in three days.

Comment

Been doing a lot of driving locally and had some serious near misses with deer running along the road.

I think hunting is necessary for safety and population control reasons, definitely.

(loads shotgun, headed to back field to keel me a cow)
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                            Got back a little early, I for you hunters you know what that means. I got my deer, it was bitter sweet. It's a nice buck but I shot the wrong one. I saw several bucks and one really nice one that I wanted to take. When I stalked them I spooked them and ran into the one I thought I wanted and took him but when I found him I realized it wasn't as big as the one I saw earlier. I am happy with it and am thinking about next year all ready. I will post some pictures later. Right now I am to tired. I hiked 35 miles in three days.
                            That's a good little jaunt. When we do our fitness recert for our search unit, we do a 10k walk. Some pony out on it and just walk it, but some do it with all our gear (mine's a 4600 cubic inch, big arse pack, loaded up with about 35 to 40 lbs [25 kilos] of gear). We have to do it, walking, without issues, and complete it in a maximum time of 2 hours and 20 minutes. Most really fit guys get it, at a nice run, within 40 to 50 minutes. Now, I'm no where near my best shape - hell, I have an extra 55 lbs on me right now, added to an already top-heavy 6'1" frame. But I can still do it within 1 hour and 25 easy, with my gear - I'm not in the greatest of shape, but I'm not a "whiner"-type, and I just have great tenacity and endurance. I'm in the midst of starting a personal training regimen to get ready for a potential MP position if I'm successful in the application process. My goal is to have this time down to just under 1 hour. Once I hit that, then I'm really going to start adding the extra weight to the pack.

Comment

less than two weeks to go and I am like a kid on christams eve, I am REALLY looking foward to it this year!!!

Comment

That's a good little jaunt. When we do our fitness recert for our search unit, we do a 10k walk. Some pony out on it and just walk it, but some do it with all our gear (mine's a 4600 cubic inch, big arse pack, loaded up with about 35 to 40 lbs [25 kilos] of gear). We have to do it, walking, without issues, and complete it in a maximum time of 2 hours and 20 minutes. Most really fit guys get it, at a nice run, within 40 to 50 minutes. Now, I'm no where near my best shape - hell, I have an extra 55 lbs on me right now, added to an already top-heavy 6'1" frame. But I can still do it within 1 hour and 25 easy, with my gear - I'm not in the greatest of shape, but I'm not a "whiner"-type, and I just have great tenacity and endurance. I'm in the midst of starting a personal training regimen to get ready for a potential MP position if I'm successful in the application process. My goal is to have this time down to just under 1 hour. Once I hit that, then I'm really going to start adding the extra weight to the pack.

I knew this year I wanted to do some hard core hunting and really get in there. So back in June I went to my doctor and told him what I was wanting to do. Since I have had several knee and ankle surgery's, so we set up a diet and I went swimming at my gym for two hrs a day for 4-5 days a week, I have dropped over 50lbs and my endurance is up 110%.

Here is the Picture of the deer I took this yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X